[OBSOLETE] .. Updated Open Source Ecobee Device Type and SmartApps

Sean- I just sent you the log from the error.

Thanks!

Wow, that looks awful! At least it has the decimal, but wow.

Have you done anything to change the layout? The multiAttributeTile should take u the whole width of the screen. And a lot of the other icons seem out of order.

I can try to work with you (and others) to come up with an alternative layout that will render better without needing the multiAttributeTile.

Taking a look now. Stay tunedā€¦

Can you be more specific?

At what step do you get the error?

Have you enabled OAuth?

Any logs you send me from Live Logging (can send in a PM if you want)?

Are you able to complete the authentication with Ecobee or does if fail already there?

For anyone that was installing from scratch, the error was caused by an un-intialized state variable (state.lastWatchdog). Since I was updating over my existing install it didnā€™t cause it to fail (in the same way) so I didnā€™t see it.

The only change was to add the following line to the initialize() function:

state.lastWatchdog = newTime

Sorry for that!

Just tried again, did the update with GitHub and am running into the same issue. I sent you the log from this attempt. Thanks for your help!

Thatā€™s what I get for trying to make a fix over my lunch break!

This time I deleted everything and did a re-install. Caught the error (typo) and have push the update.

Now to go find an after lunch coffeeā€¦

I sent a PM with the details. I also pulled the latest version before running with the Live Logging enabled.

Thanks, can you try it again. I pushed another update that fixed a silly typo. I actually tested it this time first though. I was able to get all the way through the install on my end this time.

Thanks! It is working great!

1 Like

Working for me know too. Thanks for the hard work.

So the echo newsletter came out today announcing native support for ecobee3. Is there any chance a hacked up ecobee device type would extend this native support to other thermostats?

For those that didnā€™t get the email:

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=4feb63199bd632950377addbd&id=2dd6bf6e4b

Cool News! - ecobee3 is now compatible with Amazon Echo.

This means that ecobee owners who also have an Amazon Echo at home can now enjoy hands-free control of their comfort ā€“ all with a single voice command!

Comfort: at your command Now, with ecobee3 and Amazon Echo, you can ask Alexa to adjust your thermostat settings ā€“ using just your voice ā€“ giving you hands-free control to enjoy. Instantly. All you have to do is ask.

Not sure how that would work really, the integration with Alexa was direct towards Ecobee so it doesnā€™t hit the SmartThings cloud at all.

All Iā€™d see from a device type on SmartThings is that the temperature changed, but wouldnā€™t know from what source. And from an Alexa point of view, they will only get access to whatever Ecobee provides directly.

And looking at the release, it seems that all it does is control temperature. So no comfort settings, no resume program. (At least not that I could find information on.)

And the Ecobee site FAQ has been update. Here is the list of (currently) supported voice commands:
https://www.ecobee.com/faq/which-alexa-voice-commands-can-i-use-with-my-ecobee/

1 Like

Iā€™ve changed nothing, and Iā€™ve been updating from your repository every time I see an update.

Note that the sensor renders the temperature fine, just the thermostat that messes up.

Yeah, the sensor uses a regular Tile and the Thermostat us using their ā€œfancyā€ multiAttributeTile. Guess they didnā€™t show any love to the Windows phone users.

Let me whip up an alternate view for you real quick.

Ecobee Sensors icon on Things Screenā€¦

Okay, quick strawman poll here. On the Things screen I currently show just the temperature for all the thermostats and the remote sensors. Unfortunately there is no way (that Iā€™ve found) to be able to show temperature AND motion for the remote sensors.

So, if you have to choose between temperature and motion, which would you prefer?

I prefer temp over motion

1 Like

Temp over motion for me, too.