[OBSOLETE] LIFX Group of Groups

The group name is case sensitive. Are you sure it’s exact? Can you post logs?

I think I am. Here is the setup from the LIFX App and SmartThings -

How si the best way to debug and send logs then?

At the top of the SmartThings IDE there is an option for “Live Logging”.

Also, can you post your equivalent of this?

It was an Invalid Token thank you
I didnt realise I had to Generate another for LGoG :wink:
Working well now :wink:

1 Like

That’s the strange part I dont have a device called virtual that I can find anywhere. Nothing in my ST app devices or in IDE. I think its causing the issues I am seeing, once ST removes from my account I will try again and report back.

Thanks for the clarification on the benefits of better LiFX bulb.

Maybe you can do this. Look at your device list in ST IDE, sort by type (DH) and delete all of the LIFX GoG devices. Then start over.

this is awesome thank you!

feature request: different transition times for on/off. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

either way working great

i’m on version 1.3.4 - i noticed it was released for fixing a loop when lights were offline.

This seems to be an issue still. If any of my lights in the group are offline, it’s keeps turning them off and on.

Has anyone come across a good alternative ? Doesn’t look like this will be updated to fix loop issue

Hey! I apologize. I need to be better. I’ve been busy with work. There is an update in Github. That is a interesting issue when you have 50+ bulbs like me. I also know it works because I fixed it back in May and wanted to test it before publishing. I then forgot to publish it. Sorry for that. I’m a bit embarrassed.

mate it’s a device you have made on your own time - no need to apologise!! thanks for all your help in fixing it.

1 Like

I know, but people depend on stuff working. I would have never have known that I didn’t upload it if it wasn’t for someone who posted about this issue a few weeks ago on github.

I remember when I first encountered it. I have a lot of lights (50ish) and I have them all in there own groups by room, but I also have a group that has all the bulbs in it. My house was going crazy.

There was an infinite loop but in a feature I added to attempt to turn a bulb on if it fails to respond the first time.

This DTH doesn’t seem to be working in the new app. Since it’s basically just adjusting the color and brightness of bulbs… Is it possible to get it working? Or does the group stuff keep that from working? I know we don’t really have to use the new app just yet, but I’m just moving stuff as I can to get it to work in the new app before that becomes a requirement. Just thought I’d ask. Thanks!

I have not attempted to use the new app yet. So far it seems like a bad joke from the threads I’ve read. What exactly is the issue? Also, try this branch. Do you know how to manually update to a different branch?

That fixed it. It was giving me the standard “Can’t connect to device” message that a lot of custom DTH’s seem to be throwing. I’m not using the new app as my main app at this point, but I like to be prepared. Thanks!

Master branch updated to support the new SmartThings mobile app.

Hi,

I am setting up my place now with a lot of LIFX bulbs (26) and Z-wave switches to control them. Hit the switch -> turn on bulb.
Smarthings is the middleman to make that happen.
Since the living rooom, for example, has 8 bulbs, it would be ideal for me to use LGOG.

I’ve added the device handler to my IDE. Do I also add the “Better LIFX Bulb”? And do I need to add the LIFX bulbs to Smartthings through the official integration too?

OK, I did the smart thing and read the whole thread and got the answers to my questions. As I understand it, LGOG lets me do the group control but won’t give me granular control over bulbs. For that, I could use the official integration or your Better-LIFX-Bulbs handler. However, it’s not entirely clear what are all the things the Better-LIFX-Bulbs handler provides over official.

More importantly, I cannot add any groups. I go into preferences in the app to set the API Token and “Group 1” and I get the dreaded “Please fill out all required fields.
I know this has come up in the thread before, however, I am using the latest handler…

EDIT: Workaround is to fill out all the required fields through the preferences editor in the IDE.

Yes, to control and individual bulb use the Better LIFX Bulb handler. The benefit of this over the standard LIFX integration is that it is better, ha! It’s better because my DH uses the asynchronous api so it speeds up automations.

There is a ST bug that causes the full out all required fields bug.

OK that’s a good reason. I’ve only used LGOG so far and did get it working.
In my testing tonight, I also played around with LIFX’s API. I did discover their “fast” attribute that can be sent in commands. As they explain, it’s faster because less processing is done to verify the current states of the bulbs and develop a transition from there. In my testing so far, the difference in delay between the default fast = false and the optional fast = true is SIGNIFICANT. I’ve modified your device handler on my end to add the (“fast” : true) to setLevel and off and on. I figured I’ll leave it off for things like color and other things for now.

If you haven’t tried that mode, I suggest you do! Upside = way faster. Downside = slightly less elegant transition, maybe minimal flickering as you quickly change states.