[DEPRECATED] Updated Ecobee Suite, v1.4.0 (Free)

On the humidifier, remember that some furnaces have a humidifier terminal that only sends +24VAC when the furnace is actually running. When using the ACC+ and ACC- terminals for that humidifier set up, you only have off (open) or on (closed) and it is the humidistat in the thermostat that controls that. The circuit completes after that through the humidifier and then to the C terminal (-24VAC).

That is how my humidifier works on my furnace.

Yep, understood.

The Ecobee API allows one to set the target humidity, AND to turn the humidifier on or off or auto (just as you can do at the thermostat itself). So, it may not work for all setups, but it will work at least as well as turning the humidifier (and dehumidifier) off manually (I have tested it with my own -admittedly modern - HVAC system).

1 Like

Hi Barry,

first of all thank you very much for all your effort to develop this! this is a very powerful ecobee suite!

Can I ask for your advice how to do 3 things? here they are:

1 - Turn on / off a switch (that has a humidifier connected) based on the humidity information from the thermostat (like turn on if its under 50% turn it off if its over)
2 - Turn on / off the thermostat vent based on the humidity from a smartthings sensor
3 - Turn on / off ceiling fan (regular ceiling fan but managed by GE ceiling switch) based on the cold set point of the thermostat (imagine that my range is between 20 to 25 celsius, the room is warmer - like 27 celsius - so the celling fan will be on until the room reaches 25)

maybe implement few pistons in Core?

many thanks!

Leo

There are SmartThings apps for each of those needs in the MarketPlace for SmartApps, under the Climate Control section. Virtual Thermostat can turn on/off a switch based on temperature, and Smart Humidifier or Humidity Alert! controls a switch based on humidity.

I try not to duplicate functionality already provided by ST, so those are the preferred solution.

Enjoy!

Thanks!
Barry

1 Like

Is there a way that sensors can be Iris sensors in addition to the ecobee sensors in the main SApp settings?

Unfortunately, Ecobee doesnā€™t support any sensors other than their own. There is another user-developed Ecobee support that does offer such, but a) it costs money, and b) many users have reported that it is very complicated and limiting to set up and operate (YMMV).

Note, however, that most of the Helper SmartApps can use any SmartThings temperature and presence sensors for their functions. I just have chosen not to introduce the inevitable complexity of non-Ecobee sensors for taking control of the thermostatā€™s heating/cooling setpoints.

1 Like

Well, there are tons of ecobee users who are enjoying the comprehensive features of My Ecobee device, and they are quite happy about it (more than 1500 users and counting)ā€¦

Just look at all the positive comments in my threadā€¦

So, please stop spreading misinformation about my work and focus on your own ecobee implementation.

1 Like

It is this kind of garbage from you, along with what you have required by users and have done to your users, which is why I am not using your product.

5 Likes

Yves, Perhaps you should just follow your own adviceā€¦

Iā€™ve done you the courtesy to note that your DTH does what the OP asked for. Perhaps you could exhibit similar courtesy and not spam every thread that I mention your implementation in? I donā€™t go spamming your threads with links and pointers to my alternative, why do you feel it necessary to do so on mine?

I spread no misinformation. I stated:

1. ā€œIt costs moneyā€ (FACT)
  2. ā€œMany users have reported that it is complicated and limiting (ā€¦) YMMV.ā€ (Your Mileage May Vary)
    (FACT)

You may not like to hear it (and you in FACT go a long way to specifically prohibit your users from publicly complaining), but now that there is a viable (free) alternative, several users who no longer use your solution have noted (publicly) that yours has grown to be extremely complex and difficult to use, specifically with regards to the non-Ecobee sensor support.

FWIW - Iā€™ll be happy to explain why using external sensors for setpoint control adds complexity, and why an implementation that does so requires you to make all setpoint changes ONLY through the app and precludes users from making manual setpoint changes or using scheduled program changes in the Ecobee webApp, the Ecobee mobile app, or even on the thermostat itself. Even using Ask Alexa to change the setpoints will conflict with an implementation using non-Ecobee sensors to control setpoints.

11 Likes

Wow, maybe you are the one that needs to stay on your side of the fence. I can speak entirely from experience. I bought and used your system for a while and found it be not user friendly, overly complicated, and not setup for a good user experience. In the end I wish I could have my money back. Nothing was said in this thread that is spreading misinformation, because everything that was said I completely concur with from a userā€™s perspective.

8 Likes

Thanks for your ā€œinsightā€, but Iā€™ve worked on this Ecobee implementation for more than 4 years now and Iā€™ve overcome any limitations regarding the use of external sensors.

For instance, MyEcobee device can detect any manual overrides (holds) done outside the ST platform and change the setpoint baselines in my zoned heating/cooling automatically.

With the concept of rooms/zones/schedules, users can not only use the average, but also the median/min/max temperature calculation for adjusting the ecobee setpoints based on any sensorsā€¦

Your latest changes to your helper apps are related to humidity control; something Iā€™ve done in MonitorAndSetEcobeeHumidity more than 4 years ago (with HRV/ERV/humidifier/dehumidifier control as a bonus)ā€¦

So, before stating some supposed facts, just check that you have the real information.

My solutions can leverage any ST connected temp/motion/contact/presence sensors.

So, when you think about it, my solutions would lower the ecobee usersā€™ overall cost of ownership as they can use whatever sensors they currently have at home instead of purchasing new ecobee sensors.

Now, I will no longer respond to your ā€œfactsā€ as I have more important things to doā€¦

Thank goodness.

4 Likes

I was actually looking into your smartapp before I started using Barryā€™s. Iā€™m happy paying for an app if it works and is supported by the developer; if an app works without hassle then itā€™s worth whatever the developer thinks itā€™s worth.

But as with a lot of apps on this platform, sometimes things break unexpectedly. And a quick search of your interactions with your paying customers was enough to prove you donā€™t have the capacity to properly support your own platform. Is it advanced? Sure. More features? Check. Matured? Yep. Will the developer refuse to give you a refund until you remove all of your forum posts about the topic when something doesnā€™t work as expected? Absolutely.

I would pay more money for Barryā€™s app even with less features and less maturity over yours purely because his free support is 100x better than your paid support. He isnā€™t spending his time scouring the forum to s**t on other peopleā€™s apps for no reason. Heā€™s actually using his time more wisely solving any issue WITHIN HOURS.

He didnā€™t even mention your app by name, and didnā€™t say anything negative about it. You did that all yourself. Go home.

8 Likes

In before the thread-lock. :beers:

3 Likes

No worries - itā€™s just about time for the version 1.5 update anyway.

7 Likes

Hi,

I must really applaud this effort. This is kickass.
I was able to follow the instructions with ease and have the smartapp connected and installed.
Running the The Ecobee Suite Manager 1.4.21
New to smartthings and this is my first smartapp install - so please bear with me.

The issue I am facing is that within the smartthings app - the center tile is completely empty. I see no graphics or temperature. This is on Android. Clicking the buttons seem to have an effect, but the center tile remains blank. I have tried re-installing the smartapp and it shows the same thing.

I have looked through the settings and enabled the smart auto adjust feature too.

Anything else I can try ? - is there a way to try out a different version where this is known to work ?

Thanks.

Screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/nNh2xyn

nWg4h2IK6jYRO

3 Likes

I understand I donā€™t want to average out the temp as rooms are cooled differently but Iā€™d like to be able to report on different rooms. I can just use Webcore for that then.

What kind of reporting are you looking for?

That is oddā€¦this usually arises because SmartThings doesnā€™t keep the iOS and the Android mobile apps in lock-sync (they are developed by separate development teams).

Letā€™s see if the system is giving us any info. Please try:

1. Set the Debug Level to 4 in the Ecobee Suite Manager preferences
  2. Open Live Logging in the IDE, and select the thermostat device
  3. Refresh the thermostat device on your mobile device by pressing the screen and dragging down, then releasing the screen
  4. Then press the REFRESH button. As soon as the Bee re-appears, press it again (this is a forced refresh of the data fields).

If the main tile still doesnā€™t refresh, please check the Live Log for any errors, and PM the error and +/- 10 lines or so of the log to me.