[DEPRECATED] Updated Ecobee Suite, v1.4.0 (Free)

Good news at 9:03 pm SmartThings got the event that my 9:00 sleep mode went into effect! Great job on tracking down the root cause. No thanks to Ecobee and their outage sending us into a spin yesterday.

Here are the events:

Find the comment in Ecobee Suite Thermostat at line 314 - I think if you switch the two, youā€™ll get the temperature, but lose the icon. Tradeoffs :slight_smile:

This one aggravates the heck out of me, but I have not been able to eliminate it (I have been trying for over 2 years, in various other Device Handlers). Something to do with the length of the String pattern (and the inclusion of ā€˜:ā€™ in the pattern) used to generate that text, it appears. Sorryā€¦

Iā€™m sure you have a reason to use WebCoRE instead of the Helper SmartApp I provide in the suite, but I do know that the Helper works. So maybe just try it: create a new Smart Routine/Mode/Program Helper that watches for the ST mode to changes to Away (or the Routine Goodbye! runs, your choice), and have it set your thermostats to the Away program. Set it and forget it (and eliminate one Cloud server from the chain of dependencies required to make it work, to boot :slight_smile: ).

If that doesnā€™t work, then I can dig in with you to figure out whatā€™s wrong.

That said, as others have noted, calling Away() from WebCoRE also works reliablyā€¦ search back in this thread for some step-by-step instructions (if you need them).

So I guess I posted in the wrong revision. Reposting in the right area.
So I had an issue yesterday that some weird things were happening so I tried deleting and reinstalling the device handler/smart app. When i reinstalled it wouldnā€™t reconnect to ecobeeā€¦after a lot of digging it turned out there was an issue on the smartthings end as it was affecting ecobee connect etc too. Today I managed to reconnect to ecobee but I am unable to set up a circulation program. When i click the thermostat to use it briefly flashes up with ā€œdoneā€ or ā€œsaveā€ in the top right, then the screen goes blank. This does not happen with any other handler just the circulations oneā€¦any ideas?

Hmmmā€¦Android or iOS? Old SmartThings (Classic) app or new one?

Hopefully someone has ideas - itā€™s bedtime for me. Will look back again in the morning.

Android. Classic.

No rush I appreciate the help.

I am suspicious that you may have parts of the wrong Ecobee Suite support installed.

Can you please tell me the version numbers of Ecobee Suite Manager and Ecobee Smart Circulation (as displayed when you run the SmartApps), and also Ecobee Suite Thermostat (as displayed in the devicesā€™ configuration page)?

I have only started with the 1.4 repository. Itā€™s the first time I had heard about these smart apps outside of stock.

I have temporarily deleted so will try and install again later

OK - let me know how i goes. Something went wrong with your install, I think, so you may have to go into the IDE/My Devices and manually delete any lingering devices with ā€œEcobee Suiteā€ or ā€œTestingForInstallā€ in their names or device IDs.

Iā€™m using two additional sensors and I noticed that the battery percentage does not show under the device if you select the sensors in the suite manager. Any idea if this information can be obtained? Iā€™m not even seeing it in the ecobee app or web portal but I find it hard to believe they would include a battery operated device without showing you what the battery level is at.

Sorry, but they donā€™t provide any visibility to the battery level, nor to the signal levels. The best you can hope for is an alert notification from Ecobee (if you have them enabled) that the battery is getting low before it actually stops being seen at all. Oh, and if you hook my Suite up to Ask Alexa, you can get verbal notifications of such alerts.

Just installed ecobee3 lite and installed the Ecobee Suite v1.4. I am setting up ecobee to change its modes when certain ST routines run. IE: Good Night Routine runs and it will put ecobee into Sleep mode. However, can someone explain what the ā€œParent Ecobee (Connect) Settingā€ and the ā€œThermostat Settingā€ options are under ā€œSelect the Hold Type Settingsā€? I have setup schedules for all the days of the week in ecobee but I want to be able to have the ecobee change to Away if we all are not at home (I have a ST Routine to set the house to Away when we all leave). So in other words, override the current ecobee mode until the next scheduled mode change. Also, is there a way to have ecobee turn on the heat when I leave work?

Also, can the ecobee be controlled in ST Routines also?

Welcome to the family!

Hold Types
Ecobee Holds can be configured to be one of several types (until next transition, indefinitely, some amount of hours, etc.).

The actual holdType used when you click on the ā€œHomeā€ button in the thermostat device can be configured in several places:

1. On the thermostat itself
  2. In Ecobee Suite Manager Preferences
  3. In Ecobee Thermostat Device
  4. In the SmartApp calling to make a hold (as in Smart Routines/Modes/Programs

What you see is #4, asking you whether you want to use one of the default settings, or do you want a specific one. So, if you want the thermostat to be Away anytime the ST Mode is Away, you would probably want to set a permanent/indefinite hold. On the other hand, if you always come home around 6:30 PM, you might have your thermostatā€™s Home scheduled to start at 6:30pm with Smart Recovery enabled, you might want to use ā€œUntil Next Transition/temporaryā€ so that the house heats up before you get there.

Then if you want to have a more permanent setting, you might have a SmartThing Mode ā€œVacationā€ that uses Permanent holds. In my own home, I schedule vacations using the Ecobees, and when they change to Vacation mode, I have another Smart Routines/Mode/Programs that runs a ā€œGone Fishinā€™ā€ Routine to set SmartThings into Vacation mode (vacations are permanent holds).

As to having the heat turn on when you leave work, I use IFTTT for that. When my phone enters (or leaves) a defined area, IFTTT turns on a SmartThings Virtual Switch, and I have an ā€œAlmost Home!ā€ Routine that gets run when the switch is turned on (I turn the switch off again when I leave/enter the area). Then another Smart Routine/Mode/Program helper sees Almost Home! run and returns the thermostat to Home mode.

And yes, you can have Smart Routines/Modes/Program Helpers that are connected to ST Routines running, ST Modes Changing, or Thermostat Programs Changingā€¦

Simple, huh?

Thanks for the explanation! It seems that I could use ST Routines OR Ecobee Suite Helper to create Ecobee Suite Routines when a ST Routine runs. Seems redundant. Wouldnā€™t it just be easier to incorporate ecobee mode changes in ST Routines?

Can you not just tell ecobee to change to Home mode in the first Routine ā€œAlmost Homeā€ instead of creating another separate Routine?

I canā€™t make changes to how SmartThings Routines work (they only allow you to specify heat/cool setpoints, not specific thermostat Programs). And SmartThings Routines donā€™t support watching a thermostatā€™s programs to invoke Routines or Mode changes. so I had to make an Ecobee Helper app that augmented SmartThings.

Ah, I do see that now. It only lets you set the temperature. No it makes sense why the Ecobee Suite Helper App is needed. Thanks! I was going to create a piston in Webcore to automate some of these mode changes but I think that your helper app will do what I need.

I could, but my ā€œIā€™m Back!ā€ routine turns on a bunch of lights and does stuff that I donā€™t want to happen until Iā€™m actually home. So ā€œAlmost Home!ā€ doesnā€™t set ST Home mode on, it just runs so that my Helper SmartApp can turn on the heat.

FWIW, I have 16+ Routines for different use cases. Some change lighting in the kitchen/dining area (Normal, Cooking and Romance settings), others turn on/off certain things when guests arrive/leave, others do things based on who (which code) unlocks specific doors.

You might not want to do it the way I do, but the Suite Iā€™ve provided allows you to be as simple as possible, or as complex as you wanna be :slight_smile:

It is all dependent on ā€œTimeā€ and when we want things to run! That is where it becomes more complicated.:grin: