[DEPRECATED] Updated Ecobee Suite, v1.4.0 (Free)

Thanks.

I think, but need to confirm, that it showed Heating to 67.5, when the set point was set at 68. However, when I’m back at home I will double check the threshold and see if I can capture a snapshot the information on my app screen.

I really do appreciate your help.

Tony

Tony -

Android by any chance?

No, I use an iOS device.

OK, so I’m seeing the same thing. It appears that this started happening 6 days ago…I’ll need to do a little research to understand what is going on…

Thanks…it’s puzzling…

So, Barry, I came home and checked my settings and what I was seeing on the app.

My differential is set to.5
When idle the app shows “Heating at 67”
When heating the app shows “Heating to 67.5”
My heat setpoint slider is set to 68, as is the actual thermostat.

If I understand correctly “Heating at” is when my thermostat will call for heating and if I understand correctly it should heat to “Heating to” 68 when running. So here’s where I get confused . . . knowing I have my thermostat set to 68, and if my differential is set to .5, I think my stat would call for heat at 67.5, but the app shows Heat at 67. In monitoring your app it looks it heats up to about 67.5 or 67.6 each time. Never does it get to 68.

Having said that, I had similar results with the previous DTH that I used (Yve’s product). The Thermostat was set at 68, but it showed 67 90% of the time. My wife would and still does complain that this thermostat and smart stuff is a waste because it should be 68 degrees and it shows 67. Can’t win.

Anyway thanks again for taking the time to help me clear up my confusion and attempt to appease my wife. I’m heading out of town for a few days, so I may not be able to respond promptly to any questions.

Thanks,
Tony

@TMiller

Suggestion: try re-setting the setpoints for each of your Programs using the Ecobee app or the thermostat itself.

It is possible using the API to set F setpoints to X.5F, but you can’t on the thermostat itself - they will always be X.0F. It is possible that you got off by .5 using that other DTH.

Thanks!
Barry

I can confirm the same thing. Below is an image from mine.

My schedule (from Ecobee) is as follows:
7:00AM - Transition to Home - Showed up 64 Minutes late
5:00PM - Transition to Evening - Showed up 33 Minutes late
10:00PM - Transition to Sleep - Showed up 48 Minutes late

Also, why when I send it the Away() command does it set it to Hold: Away, almost immediately followed by Away?

Man, welcome… I just came onboard here from My Ecobee Device and for me, this is sooo much better. Like you said, Barry is great and his approach to support is infinitely better than Yves. Never really understood why Yves is the way he is but all good. Glad to not have to deal with all that any longer.

I’m not sure what you use-case is but if it’s as simple as mine, you’d find that Yves’s product is over complicated and for me, that caused a lot of issues. I got his product because it could average the temperature using motion sensors (so no need for ecobee remote sensors) and because he said iris motion sensors were faster and better than ecobee remote sensors. However, to accomplish that, his app needed to change the SetPoints every 5 mins and that and the complications of his app led to many issues. Very often, his product will have race conditions and miss setting the temperature correctly or it’d change from “permanent hold” to “program” mode. Then, there were also a lot of situations for me where his app will lose connectivity to the ecobee. Finally, it was always very annoying to know I couldn’t set the temperature manually using any device (including his app) because my changes were going to be overwritten. The wife hated that!

Moving to Ecobee Suite has been awesome for me. I got the remote sensors so ecobee now does the averaging. I love the reliability of the app and it hasn’t missed setting any setpoint correctly. I also love that setting the program based on ST modes work great with the smartapps. The smartapps are really great. I don’t use much more than that (like outside temperature or forecast etc) so I can’t compare those other things but for my needs, Ecobee Suite is infinitely better than My Ecobee Device and it’s free!

4 Likes

@ssilence

I’m working on it. I’ll have a version that I THINK solves the issue a little later this morning, but you’ll have to test it in your environs to be sure. I’ve only been able to test 2 scheduled program changes, but both worked correctly, so I hope I’ve nailed it. Watch this space…

Silent, harmless bug. Fixed in the upcoming release.

1 Like

UPDATE NOTIFICATION

As of Friday, March 30, 2018 at 8:10 CDT, Ecobee Suite Manager has been updated to v1.4.14, and Ecobee Suite Thermostat has been updated to v1.4.07

Changes in these releases include:

• First pass at getting currentProgram and currentProgramName reported when they actually happen. May not solve the issue entirely - please report any continued issues.
  • Fixed erroneous reporting of a “Hold: Program” that should have been just “Program”

This is not yet a mandatory update, until I know that I’ve solved the issue…

UPDATE 03/31/2018 - It doesn’t look like I have solved the problem yet… I will dig into this deeper ASAP, but given the holiday weekend, not sure how much I can do until Monday. My apologies all…

@gbenrus25 -

Thank you for the kind words…I hope my contributions to the world of SmartThings + Ecobee continue to meet your needs. There will probably always be bumps in the code, but with the help of my small (but growing) user community, I strive to find and fix them in a timely manner.

Thanks!

1 Like

You update faster than any other developer out there! And considering the code is free, you are going above and beyond the call of duty. We all thank you!!:+1::clap:

2 Likes

Just had the ecobee report offline. Don’t know if it’s the new code or not. SmartThings says it connected but the attributes say “offline” and “no data found for device”

Update…looks like for some reason my ecobee was not connecting to Ecobee servers. I went into wifi and forced a reconnect but still waiting for SmartThings to update.

Update #2: after about 2 minutes the status of the thermostat is now active…phew…

Best thing to do when this happens is to look at Live Logging for Ecobee Suite Manager - you usually can tell what’s going on when the connection is lost, even if the Debug Level is only at 2 or 3…by design.

I am very new to ST. I just finished installing your suite. I am trying to setup the Smart Mode helper app. However, the only option under set thermostat mode to is off. Everything else seems to be operating normally. Any ideas how to get heat, cool, and auto to show up?

EDIT: Getting closer. I deleted the thing and the apps permissions from the ecobee website. When I added it back in, I now have off, auto, and heat available.

I finally upgraded to the latest version (was stuck on 1.3x for a long time. )
Now my keenect app to control the keen vents is broken and won’t work

Is there another recommended app to control the smart vents that will let me set heat /cool differential from thermostat? I looked at Yeeves code and it lets you set a temp for the room. Keenect allowed me to set a differential from current thermostat temp set point which worked better for us

Appreciate any input to get my vents working again

Thanks

@BatraD

It is unfortunate that the Keenect app is dependent upon non-standard attributes in the DTH you where using. However, it probably isn’t appropriate that I reverse-engineer the support to make it work with my Ecobee Suite (unless Keenect makes their code available as Open Source).

Therefore, please take a look at the Smart Vents Help SmartApp provided with the Suite - it does almost what you want (it allows following the thermostat setpoint). If that is close, adding the ability to specify a +/- differential to the thermostat setpoint should be simple (and a great suggestion).

Thanks!

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the quick reply. I’ll try the helper app. Having an option for the differential for both heat and cool separately would be a welcome addition

Thanks

UPDATE NOTIFICATION

As of Saturday, March 31 at 7:50am CDT, Ecobee Suite Smart Mode has been updated to v1.4.06, and Ecobee Suite Smart Vents has been updated to v1.4.02

New in these releases:

• Smart Mode: Better data validation to eliminate installation failures
  • Smart Vents: Added configurable Heating and Cooling setpoint offsets when following thermostat setpoints (thanks @BatraD for the suggestion)

These are not mandatory updates.