[OBSOLETE] Foscam Camera Device Handler Universal DTH with Motion Detection - SD (FI89xx), HD Ambarella FI98xx, FI99xx, Cx, Gx, Rx, Ex, Zx, Fosbaby

This is doable if you create a set of virtual momentary switches and associated smart app that would move your camera based on these switches. Then you can add the virtual switches to the dashboard.

As a feature, camera tilts would be weird because it is not a supported or universal capability.

1 Like

That’s a really neat idea @625alex. and I guess by positioning them correctly on the dashboard it could emulate the 4 way buttons. I guess similarly one could use the virual switches to activate cruise also (you can anyways activate alarm monitoring using the alarm interface).

If you want to go all the way, you should also be able to change icons via CSS into direction arrows. I will be doing that for my TV controls.

Im using a Foscam 18910W with internal IP. I installed the code and entered in the info. Nothing is happening. No preview. No image if I say take picture. Any button I hit doesn’t respond. Any suggestions?

@625alex Thanks for the suggestion. I think I am going to have one button for now to activate cruise…That way I can get a glimpse of the entire area, if I want to… @RBoy I still have to try your smart app. But did you get a chance to evaluate whether we can initiate a video recording on the Foscam for lets say 60 seconds, when an event occurs…I think it will be a useful feature to have…

@RBoy Can you please tell me what would the command in the smartapp be to activate the camera patrol…? I was going through the device type… But wasn’t able to determine that… would it be camera.cruisemap1() to start cruise and then camera.stopcruise() to stop it …or something else? Thanks!

yes that’s correct @ashutosh1982 and assuming that you’ve configured cruisemap1 to your desired cruise in preferences.

As for video recording, yes it should work - there’s an option in preferences to enable video recording while motion detection is on.

@OMFGitsJUSTIN check the live logging in the IDE and post what you see for the foscam when you press a button.

12:57:45 AM EST: debug /cgi-bin/CGIProxy.fcgi?usr=&pwd=&cmd=snapPicture2
12:57:45 AM EST: debug Executing hubaction on 192.168.1.11:1234
12:57:45 AM EST: debug Device Network Id set to c0a8010b:0a2f
12:57:45 AM EST: debug Taking Photo
12:57:30 AM EST: debug /cgi-bin/CGIProxy.fcgi?usr=
*****&pwd=*********&cmd=setMotionDetectConfig&isEnable=1
12:57:30 AM EST: debug Executing hubaction on 192.168.1.11:1234

Thanks @625alex and @RBoy … I made a smart app that uses a virtual switch to move between two Preset values - Preset 1 is one extreme and Preset 2 is other extreme of the pan range… When I turn the switch on then the camera pans to preset1 (which is to left) and when i turn the switch off it pans to preset 2 (which is to the right) - This way I am also able to limit the range of panning in Foscam (since it does not support a range in degree of motion)… Its working great…And I have this virtual switch right next to the camera on the Action Dashboard…and direction of the switch matches the direction of the pan…which is cool… Its really easy for me to have a quick check if I want to…it gives a complete view of my house in few seconds…!!! and i can switch between viewing my front door vs my patio door , with the same camera… Alternately, I can trigger the camera to point to a certain door if there is an event on that door…then take pictures or record video…

@RBoy I am unable to find commands to record video on the device type…can you please provide some guidance? Should I use the alarmOn() command? and then configure the foscam to record video on alarm? I may be answering my own question, but there is no harm in getting a second confirmation :smile:

1 Like

That is correct @ashutosh1982, you use the alarmOn() to activate the motion detection which will automatically start recording BUT you have to enable video recording in the references first. I’m assuming you are using the modified code on my server.

I see you’ve used port 1234 in your configuration - have your configured your camera to use port 1234 also? I don’t see your camera responding so it’s likely a communication issue

its a different port but I changed it for security reasons. So the port really isn’t 1234. Its a different number.

@RBoy … Do you mean in the preferences of the camera under “things”? I dont see that option anywhere. Or do you mean under preferences of foscam’s settings?

Okay my guess is that the hub isn’t able to communicate with the foscam because there is no response. Check your network settings, if they are on the same subnet, is the router blocking anything etc.

Yes the preference button on the foscam device on your phone.

reported to ST here is the response:

Thanks for reaching out. This is a known bug that the developers expect to see significantly improved by next version of the Android app. As work for other factors is still going on for the next version, no release date has been given yet for the next version. I’ll make sure that we document this for the now, though. Thanks for including the community as well!

I bought a Foscam FI8918W (my first cam) and paid the $10 to access this app. I have it all setup but noticed alot of the option show for HD cameras only. What can I do this this cam, I think its only 640x480. Should I return it for a better model.
My plan was to install it above my front door and was hoping to have it capture video or stills upon motion. Can I do that with this model?
Thanks,
Scott

I cannot say which functions will work with a non-HD cam, but my recommendation, as far as the cameras go, is to definitely go with an HD model. I’m using FI9831W and I’m very impressed with the quality of the video. The difference in the models are significant enough to seriously consider upgrading your model. The processors between the 2 will double the resolution without increasing the file sizes of your recordings. The H.264 compression of the newer models makes a huge difference. You can’t beat doubling the resolution while maintaining the same relative file sizes.

Are you willing to share your code for the momentary switches that you created for your presets? If so I would be most appreciative. I have been looking for a way to do this for the Foscam HD cameras but have not got it figured out yet. There is something similar for non-hd’s but it does not speak the same language.Thanks