[OBSOLETE] Foscam Camera Device Handler Universal DTH with Motion Detection - SD (FI89xx), HD Ambarella FI98xx, FI99xx, Cx, Gx, Rx, Ex, Zx, Fosbaby

Sorry if this is redundant. Is there a way to get to the pictures taken by the camera? Would like to display in actiontiles or save to a NAS. Thanks

He said HD works. If yours is SD it probably won’t work. Can’t get much clearer.

@RBoy Hello, question for you, before the most recent big update, I was able to use the video full screen in landscape mode on my S7 Edge. Now when I try to go to landscape and the video stays in Portrait. Was this feature removed? Is this a bug?

1 Like

Nothing to do with the handler, the handler only provides the information on how to connect to the camera to the SmartThings mobile app. From there it’s handled by the SmartThings mobile app. This is an issue with the SmartThings mobile app. Report it to ST support and hopefully they’ll patch it up in the next release of their mobile app.

1 Like

Thank you, I just opened a ticket.

Ive just set up the app and have a query regarding access to the stream from my local IP and my published ip. I should start by saying I cannot use my published IP from within the home network.
What I find is that if I populate the published IP in the app I cannot view the stream internally. I can however view the stream when away through the published IP. Any ideas how I can get both?

Use your local LAN IP only. There’s no need to use an external IP address anymore with the latest v4 SmartApp and device handlers. ST takes care of the rest.

I am not sure what I did wrong, I have the FI9800P camera, everything seemed to go correctly, and is linked up, however the picture is green inside smartthings. Not sure if it’s the camera support for this particular one?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi guys. Had a couple of theory questions about integrating cameras. I’m looking to upgrade cameras (from amcrest after loss of support) and am on the fence about going with foscam and was hoping maybe someone can give me a little insight before I push forward with the foscam route.

What I was hoping to accomplish was setting up some foscams directly to a POE NVR for continuous recording. Then integrating into my current smartthings setup for some automation with the notifications using the geofencing from smartthings.

First question I guess would be are there any issues with using the device handlers or control of the cameras if they are connected directly to an NVR? I believe (but am not sure) that hooking up cameras directly to the NVR will create a sort of separate network for them giving a 170 or 172 IP instead of a typical 192. Does anyone use this setup? Any issues I should be aware of? I know I could connect the cameras directly to my router using power splitters and then pick up the feeds to the NVR from their assigned IPs but would rather setup directly to the NVR to reduce traffic on the network.

Second question is more of the theory side. If cameras are set for continuous record to the NVR, but I use smartthings to activate and deactivate motion detection then I should in theory be able to turn on/off notifications for the foscam app if it’s set to notify me when motion is detected right? Or am I missing something.

I know I can basically accomplish what I’m looking for with an Arlo Pro 2 (with power hooked to the cameras) setup and a continuous record subscription but am not loving the reviews about poor night vision and disconnect issues that I’ve been reading about and would prefer a solid NVR POE setup. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

That’s a bug with the rendering with the ST mobile app. Best known solutions, reboot camera and reboot your phone and try toggling the “LED” on the camera.
You may also want to try changing the streaming mode, toggle the MJPEG option on and off. Sometimes that option isn’t compatible with ST’s mobile video tile.

I am still having problems with a new F19821P and it is a V3… I have 2 V2 cameras that work fine. I have copied all the settings exactly and I am getting the following error in SmartThings

"Camera responded with result -1- > CGI request string format error, your Username or Password may contain invalid character. The only allowed special characters are ~!@^*()_ "

It will still take pictures but errors on video. I have the most recent firmware on it, 2.81.2.29

I am using the newest device handler, and just deleted all cameras and added them back for the new update from rboy.

Thanks again for all your help and I know it is impossible to keep up with all the different cameras and settings. I just have to say you do great work.

That’s the camera responding with an error trying to authenticate your username and password. Try using a simple username and password and see if that fixes the issue and then work backwards to find out which character is causing the issue.

Updated:

Foscam Camera and Motion Alarm Manager SmartApp does automatic discovery, installation and configuration of cameras. Please see this page for installation instructions.

Foscam Camera and Motion Alarm Manager SmartApp - v03.00.02

• Fix for some C2 cameras not showing up in discovery
  • Fix for SHM not arming/disarming cameras when configured through Foscam Camera Manager

Foscam Camera Universal Device Handler - v04.02.00

• Fix for ST blocking google DNS causing public hostnames not to work
  • Fix for ST broken images when using public hostnames/IP address
  • Added support for sound detection for SD cameras

Live video streaming can be accessed from inside and outside the home by using camera LAN IP address (discovered and configured automatically). If you’re having trouble connecting kill your SmartThings app and restart it.

NOTE: You CANNOT upgrade the older 2.x Camera Alarm Manager setup to the 3.x version. You will need to REMOVE/UNINSTALL your existing Cameras and SmartApp in SmartThings. Once you delete your SmartApp and Cameras, follow the instructions below to discover and install your Foscam cameras. http://www.rboyapps.com/InstallFoscam.htm

Screenshots

Refer to previous post for more details

I have tried a more simple login and password. still not luck. when I get home later I am going to hard reset the camera and try one more time from scratch.

Ive tried that it doesnt work. I have to put the external Ip to see video when away from the site. I can however “capture picture” it also says “Active” but the wheel spins but no image. Thanks

You should put the external IP in the settings that says external IP to view video when away from home not in the camera IP field ideally. The picture not showing issue was broken by ST in a recent platform update and was patched up in a recent update (see release notes above). It could a network or latency issue with the hub/internet.

Well thats a little confusing. You initially say its not necessary to use the external IP now you say you should…
Eitherway I find that although I can move camera and tajke still pictures but NOT stream video with:
The external Ip enterned in Router Ip address/Public hostname field and the local IP entered in Camera IP address/Public hostname.
In summary I cant view the video from both locations.

@davidj, take a look at the whole settings page for the camera and you will notice, that the first field that is named “Camera IP address/Public hostname” is the place to enter the local IP address. Then there is another field further down the list named “Router IP address/Public hostname” where you would enter the router external address. In my case I have a dynamic IP address and that’s why I have bound my router to a dynamic IP address ddns service (noip.com) so I can call to the camera from my mobile net by some fixed name and not a dynamic IP that is changing.
I had this setting missed in my setup as well and until I entered the second value in that second field, I faced the same issue - no video from outside network.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. Is there a “recommended” Foscam for this app? Which camera do you use for dev? I’m looking to update my cameras.

side note: anyone know of some outdoor foscams?

Thanks

We have all the cameras in our labs from the old SD to the new R2. Your personal choice. Each one has its pros and cons. E.g. Older Standard definition cameras (SD) support push notifications, newer camera like the R2 have human detection and 1080p resolution. So it comes down to what features you want and your price points, the integration works the same way for all Foscams.

1 Like