[EDGE] Universal Enhanced Z-Wave Lock Driver for Schlage, Yale, Kwikset, IDLock, Popp, Danalock, August Pro, Keywe, Philia, Samsung

Is this an universal setting? Cant find it

Depends on your individual needs…however I’ve found it worth it. The apps and device handlers are well designed, frequently updated, and pretty stable so far (going on 4 months since we signed up). I haven’t been able to take advantage of the thermostat ones, our HVAC is multizone and so far none of the smart thermostats support that, but we use their apps and device handlers for our locks and to link in our Foscam cameras which I had almost given up on integrating. It’s enabled me to manage an AirBnB apartment next to our own all through the app… we can pre-schedule in the codes for the next 5 guests all in one sitting rather than having to add and delete each time someone comes. When our daughter confessed that she had accidentally given a friend her personal door code (which shuts down alarms) rather than our guest code and we were on our way to visit family I was able to reprogram all 4 doors from the car in under 2 minutes.

4 Likes

You’re right, a few releases a ago we made this battery save feature permanent since all known locks run on batteries. Only the Z-Wave thermostat has this feature as optional on/off because they have a C-Wire option to run on mains.

Good morning! Been really enjoying your handler and app @RBoy. Thanks again for making automation a bit easier in regards to entry locks. Quick question and this may have been covered…if so, please disregard. I have my Schlage set to turn on my porch light and sconces upon arrival and successful entry of code. Is there a way to have them shut off say 5 minutes or so after the door has been closed? Pretty new to this so any help is more than appreciated!!
Thanks,
Chad

1 Like

When you say on arrival do you mean turn on the light when a presence sensor arrives? If so you may want to use SmartLighing here, turn on Light when someone arrives and then turn off after 5 minutes.

You can also use SmartLighting to define rules like when a door is unlocked then turn on the light and after X minutes turn off the lights. It’s like a light weight version of CoRE and super easy to use

1 Like

Ah yes, it would be more of a presence situation and definitely makes more sense now. Thank you for your help!!

On side note, have a few Blinks coming in… looking forward to diving in with your SA/DH and get the full potential of them going. Been reading through that thread as well.

1 Like

Just a tip for folks who’re facing the 0000 MSR issue while trying to pair the lock (and other Z-Wave devices) with the ST hub. This issue started after the October hub firmware update. This process seems to work in resolving the issue:

1. MAKE SURE YOUR DEVICE IS WITHIN 1FT (whisper distance) OF THE HUB BEFORE DOING THIS!
  1. Reboot Hub
  2. Exclude device
  3. Reboot Hub
  4. Wait for 5 minutes
  5. Start “Add a Thing” on ST app and ST App will say “Looking for devices”
  6. Wait for 5-10 seconds and then starting the pairing process on the device

Ok, how often do you let the lock get polled. I see it tries to poll it about very 5-6 minutes, but dont how many it skipps. Does the lock need to be polled at all?

Over the course of three calls in one day about a week ago, Smartthings Support had me do this same procedure, but additionally, a) move the lock WITHIN ONE FOOT of the hub, and b) repeat the exclusion of the lock three times in a row, and c) unplug the hub and remove the batteries.

The result - I was able to add the lock back in to the hub, but I was NOT able to resolve the 0000 MSR issue. ST support insisted that the MSR issue is irrelevant. They went so far as to question whether my lock had ever registered anything more (during the ~18 months that it functioned flawlessly).

I know we’re all focused on MSR detection being “the issue” in these forums, but can we articulate WHY/WHAT function is dependent on that populating other than 0000? My lock now works, but I’ve lost the notifications that worked prior to my update to the 5.05.0x version of RBoy’s Smartapp. This happened roughly at the same time as the ST firmware and app updates in my case, so it is murder for someone like me to parse out. Does the problem lie in hardware or software? ST hub firmware vs. ST app vs. RBoy DH vs. Rboy Smartapp? I’m logical and scientific, but not a coder. Nor did I get in this game to become one. I’d prefer this to make my life easier not harder (grin).

@RBoy I finally ran through these steps last night and got the MSR issue resolved. Thank you for the instructions. I had asked before why my two different locks show differently in the iOS app:
[RELEASE] Door lock code/lock user management (create, delete and schedule codes) with automatic lock/unlock, custom user actions and SHM integration

Even after resolving the MSR problem, this universal DH appears differently for my two locks. Any ideas?

1 Like

That’s definitely excessive. Ideally a Z-Wave device never needs to be polled since it’s a push notification device. I.e. Everytime there is a change in state the device tells the hub hence it should always be in sync. So polling is a safety mechanism, just in case a command didn’t reach the hub or got dropped/lost it helps keep it in sync. It should poll about once every 15 minutes or 30 minutes or 60 depending upon the device. Anything more is excessive and will kill the battery prematurely. Hence we’ve tweaked this over the years by looking at different locks and setups and limit excessive polling. Unfortunately no one from ST can explain exactly how polling is determined but they had indicated about 15 to 30 min should be what most folks see. I’ve seen devices that never get polled and others like you said get polled multiple times a minute.

Polling is more helpful for IP devices (e.g. Blink Camera or MyQ) where there aren’t push events for all events and that helps keep things in sync. With Blink for it helps keeps the temp and signal reporting in sync.

Long explanation for a quick question, hope it helps.

Folks an update on the MSR and pairing issue, we’ve been able to replicate the issue and provided ST staff with logs. They acknowledged it and are working on a patch. Big thank you to the ST staff on working through this one. Please see:

Thanks. I have removed the capability “polling” from your code, its not polling anymore and I will see if this will help on battery life

@RBoy - my hub is unexpectedly adding/deleting constantly again. I did not make any changes other than update to the latest release. And I cannot figure out how to delete all of the codes to try and recreate them because I get an error that not all of the fields are filled out.

Maybe in the future - you could add a “delete code” button in each code that removes it from the list. Otherwise there are these “dangling” entries in the codes for ones that I have tried to delete but cannot.

What can I do to solve the constant adding/deleting issue right now?

Follow the clear codes instructions given on our website:

Hi @RBoy
Would it be possible to give the DH the function to reflect #1 #2 #3 and so on based on what code posision is used like a button.

Example
My rfid chip in posistion 3 is used, i can get out.
button 3 is pushed?
Reason is, that i try to create some rules based on the user that unlocks the door.

@Rboy - well that took a while. I reset both locks, excluded them and removed them from ST, removed your app and added it all back in. Then I reconfigured all of the codes and I think it is working correctly now. Thanks!

One weird issue - I was unable to exclude one of the locks. It kept erroring out. I manually removed the device through the web, but it just showed right back up again in ST. Hopefully that is not an issue in the future.

I’m sorry I didn’t understand. Are you saying that you want a tile for each user on the device screen or are you saying you want a tile that shows the last used code on the screen?

Sorry for my bad English.
I dont need a tile, just a way to get the event.
Button pushed #1 #2 #3#10 relevant to the rfid or code used.
example when i use mastecode i would love to be able to use the value in a piston.
Here is from a fibaro button when i push button number 1. So if I got the same from master code on my lock i could use this value in scripts.

Ah okay, so you’re looking for a way to capture the data to use in CoRE and build a piston around it. That’s easy, use the data.usedCode variable, if the door was locked or unlocked using a code it’ll tell you what the user slot number is there.

1 Like