[EDGE] Universal Enhanced Z-Wave Lock Driver for Schlage, Yale, Kwikset, IDLock, Popp, Danalock, August Pro, Keywe, Philia, Samsung

With this device type, can I trigger a mode change or Hello Home action with a correct user code entered?

I think you may be confusing the smart app with the device code. The device code allows for the device to register the alarm with SmartThings which in turn allows you to write apps (or use the apps in the ST store) which can then use those events and notifications to do things.

What I think you’re looking is an app that waits to be be notified when a user enters a key code and then take some actions on it. There is app on this forum called “Home on Code Unlock Too” here New “Home on Code Unlock Too” which will do what you’re looking for.

I also have another app on the server which does similar things called “Notify and Change Mode on Door Lock-Unlock” as well as an app that allows you to remotely program user codes and be notified when someone uses the codes.

I’m sorry if this is a terribly stupid question - but I’d really like get a copy of the device code associated with this project. But I get prompted for a username/password when I click on the link for the code. . .?

Not at all a stupid question :smile:
You’re right it does require a username and password and we are asking for a contribution to get access to all the apps and device codes on the server. You can get more details about the available apps and devices on our FB site at http://www.facebook.com/RBoySTApps
There are some alternative free options available on the forum posted here by @garyd9. We are essentially charging for the ongoing development and support for our customized versions.

1 Like

Ahh, I gotcha. I suppose I should have deduced that from the thread. Thanks for the clarification.

-Jeff

Is this app still being developed and will it support the new Schlage Sense?
http://ces.schlage.com/

I have connected and disconnected my Schlage Century probably 10 times and still cannot get the app to lock or unlock the deadbolt. My lock is dead in the water right now.

Yes it’s being maintained and enhanced. the Sense is designed to work with Apple Homekit so I don’t think it’ll work out of the box with Smartthings. ST is working an adapter/interface to Homekit but hasn’t been released yet.

As for your century, first try this. Use the standard Z-Wave Lock device type from SmartThings. Does that work for you? If that doesn’t work then there’s a communication issue or maybe a faulty lock.

Does more work have to be done by ST or Schlage to make it integrate with ST?

For example, if a device has Zigbee or Z-Wave out of the box - what does it take to make it integrate with ST?

What do you mean for the standard Z-Wave Lock device type?
When I select the big “+” from the home screen to add a device and click on “Locks” there are seven options, but they are all branded locks.

The other option is to put my deadbolt in “pairing” mode or whatever it is called and then click on the “+” and then the the “+” again, where it says “Connect New Device” and I assume the app looks for ALL devices in pairing mode

1. ARE THEY ON THE SAME FREQUENCY?

The first question is what type of frequency does the lock use to communicate, and does the smartthings hub listen to that frequency. This often involves multiple antennas as well.

The current smartthings hub can listen for Z wave, zigbee, and communicate via the Internet to its cloud, which in turn can make a cloud to cloud connection to some other Internet connected services, like IFTTT.

The current (generation one) smart things hub does not have the ability to listen for Bluetooth, thread, or Wi-Fi.

The Generation two smart things hub, expected sometime this summer, is adding a Bluetooth radio, but we don’t know exactly how it will be used.

The Schlage sense, which is not available to buy yet, will use bluetooth. So right now there is no way for it to talk to smart things.

1. DO THEY USE THE SAME LANGUAGE?

Even if the hub and a device are using the same frequency, however, that just means they can send and receive messages to each other, but it does not mean they will understand those messages. That has to do with the specific dialect they are using, and if the messages are encrypted or not. Just because two devices both use zigbee antennas, it does not mean they can understand each other.

Although at one point smartthings said it was going to look into homekit integration, after more details came out they said they might not. HomeKit is going to be a very restricted environment, particularly for door locks. I think it very unlikely that SmartThings Will ever be able to control The Schlage sense.

However, Schlage may make another lock that looks exactly the same, but has a different antenna or speaks a different language, and that model might then be able to be controlled by smart things.

1. DO THEY ASK THE RIGHT QUESTIONS?

At that point, the question of a “device handler” (What used to be called a “smart device type”) comes into play. These can be provided by smartthings officially, or as custom code from a community member. This goes one step further than just using the same frequency and speaking the same language and actually comes down to the exact format of the commands to be sent.

Sort of like if one lock expects to receive a command “unlock” and another lock expects to receive a command “47” and yet another lock expects to receive a command “disengage” and they all mean the same thing in English, it’s just that specific manufacturers wrote their code a little differently. Same frequency, same language, but different specific words. That’s what the device handler is doing: sending the exact command that the specific device expects.

1. TROUBLESHOOTING

Anyway, all of that aside, if you have a lock which is on the “works with smart things” official list right now, support should be able to help you get it so it at least locks and unlocks using the official device type. After you’ve done that and verified that you have a lock that actually can speak to smartthings, then you can come back and get a custom device type if you want so that you have control over additional features of the lock other than those that smartthings included in the official device handler.

It’s always possible that your particular lock has a broken radio, or is even missing the radio module, and that is something that support@smartthings.com could help you figure out.

1 Like

Hi RBoy:

Been using your device type in conjunction with your “Multiuser Lock Code Manager”, and it worked well till this morning, where Im now seeing “Door unlocked with user code 3” and “Door unlocked with user code null” and sometimes the desired “Schlage Front Door Lock was unlocked by Bob”. They seem to occur regardless of whether I tagged them to notify me on use. Any ideas as to why this is occurring?

Also, I updated the code for the device type, and some new icons are available on the configuration, but no documentation to go with them. RTFMs welcome on that. :smile:

Thanks for writing these useful devices/apps.

-chris

I suspect they may be phantom message coming from the ST cloud. I’m also seeing phantom message but related to my motion sensors. I know they are phantom since I’ve linked my motion sensors to the alarm and the alarm never goes off but I get the random motion sensor events. Don’t even know how to start reporting this to ST.

On request from many folks, now this code base also supports the Schlage FE599 model. The update code now supports enabling/disabling the lock (vacation mode) using the ST device type. Features such as AutoLock and Alarm which aren’t available on the FE599 are disabled automatically at run time.

Have you thought about integrating your code management app into this device type to make it a more centralized location for control of the device. I know it would be great to have this feature if it is possible.

you will lose many of the benefits like being able to program multiple locks at one time. I’m also not sure if device types supports dynamic pages which is required for the multi user app. Will check into it though.
Plus this will tie the codes to the physical lock, so if you change the device you will lose the settings.
I’m also wondering if this will impact the overall performance of the lock since the multi user app has lots of delays built into it.

1 Like

Can’t be done

Device preferences are limited to input elements, and do not support multiple pages or sections.

1 Like

Could you add support for the BE468. It has all the features of the 469

003B-6349-5044

Why do you say it doesn’t support it?

Okay to clarify this device code works with the following Schlage Locks:
BE469, BE468, FE599 and BE369

Sorry, should have added more detail. When I use your device code, it gives errors like this

"Unsupported device with MSR 003B-6349-5044, CodeUnLock feature not available"

Your case statements don’t have the MSR for the 468 – 003B-6349-5044 . The 469’s is 003B-6341-5044

Thanks for pointing this out, the support had been added, please check the latest code.

Also does anyone have the MSR (Manufacturer Specific) code for the BE369?