[OBSOLETE] Universal Ecobee Suite, Version 1.8.01

I have not been a regular user of this Smartapp, but I have had it installed in Smartthings for quite a while. I recently noticed that the Smartapp is not visible in either of the Smartthings apps (new or Classic). I can see the app and DTH in the groovy dashboard, but I cannot see it on my mobile device. I am also unable to delete the Smartapp from the groovy interface.

How can I troubleshoot the installation and get it back in my Smartthings app?

Also, I did enable MFA w/ Ecobee before seeing that there is a problem with that interface, and from what I have seen here, there isn’t much I can do about that now.

You should be able to install on your Mobile using The SmartThings Classic app: go to the Marketplace / SmartApps / My Apps and run Ecobee Suite Manager from there. It should pick up the existing configuration, but you may have to re-authenticate.

If you turned on 2FA, then you will need to turn it off first. You should be able to do that (but I don’t know the steps). If you can’t figure it out, then you may need to request assistance from Ecobee to get it turned back off…

1 Like

Thank you, that worked for getting the Smartapp visible again.

FYI, to disable MFA for Ecobee, you must go through the mobile app. Go to the Account page and select Account Security where you can choose what method of MFA you would like (or none).

Now, when I try to enter my credentials in Ecobee Suite Manager I get an oauth error for invalid token. I have confirmed that the MFA is no longer active by logging out and back in on the website. I have also made sure that there are no test devices installed (per the FAQ).

I also tried to uninstall the Ecobee Suite Manager application so I could start over, which seems to partially work, but still lists it in My Apps as you indicated where I retry and get the same authentication error.

I have noticed Ecobee authentication to be flakey of late, but it usually works after a couple of tries. You might want to remove the SmartThings Classic app from your mobile device’s memory between tries, just to be sure that the 2FA logic isn’t hung up in memory from the failed attempts.

Also, run Live Logging on Ecobee Suite Manager in the IDE while you try to authenticate. There may be an error message that could help track down exactly what is failing and why…

I have still not been able to authenticate, I have log details from the failed transaction.

Please PM me the log for ES Manager. Also, be sure that you are using the old Mobile app - you can’t authenticate using the new one.

Just went through the first time install guide (thank you for such a well written guide). I got to the last step with the classic smart things app and I do not see anything in the My Apps section. I made sure and added the OAuth for the Ecobee Suite and validated that it shows as true on the smart apps screen.

Any idea on what I may have done wrong?

I was able to get the authentication to work by clearing the oath token from the smartapp settings. Everything is good now, thank you.

1 Like

On the topic of the 2FA, I had actually set it up before I learned about your suite. As a result, while trying to authenticated during the install process, I got a failure message. HOWEVER, I went into the Ecobee app, removed the 2FA and then went to the Ecobee website and removed the Ecobee Suite integration (which was showing up on their end but the app itself said it wasn’t authenticated). After that, I went back into the smartapp, and was able to successfully authenticate and use the app. So perhaps there are some improvements on this front already.

3 Likes

Also, after installing your Suite and looking around it seems to have a lot of helper features for specific tasks, but I can’t find some of the “simpler” functionality I was hoping for.
Mainly, I was hoping to be able to use my other SmartThings temperature sensors as inputs for my Ecobee thermostat. Is this functionality available or planned for the future?

Sorry, but I have no plans to utilize non-Ecobee sensors as inputs for the thermostat setpoints. There is another 3rd-party integration that provides that functionality.

Alright, I understand. I was hoping to avoid that one, as it doesn’t seem to be very user friendly at all…

Utilizing external sensors itself would create a significant complication and be very user “un-friendly,” while also pretty much disabling the use of the thermostat’s controls to set/adjust the setpoints…

I was hoping that, through integrations, this functionality would exist. Since the ecobee was advertized as ST compatibl I figured this type of more “simple” integration control would be possible. Ecobee’s sensors are very expensive, like 4x more expensive than a zigbee temperature sensor which would serve just as well to keep track of temperature in a room.

But I know what you mean, I can’t really imagine an elegant way to do this without calculating some artificial setpoints for the thermostat based on its current readings and the readings of the other temperature sensors you’re trying to use…

You missed the opportunity to get the 1st-gen Ecobee room sensors cheap when the 2nd-gen “smart” sensors came out.

However, I think what you are trying to accomplish (using ST connected temp sensors to drive the ecobee) is going to be a unreliable make-shift solution in order to save a little money. You might think twice about doing it, especially if it requires you a “$30 contribution” for a different SmartApp. You’d be better off just using that money to buy ecobee sensors.

@jlv Yes, I agree. That’s what I’ve decided on for now. I can spend that $30US on a new sensor at some point if I’d like, and I can emulate that simple hold temperature “fudging” behavior of the other app in webCoRE using the functions which the Ecobee Suite exposes for me.

Hi Barry

I am seeing an interesting behavior with the Mode/routine/switches helper. My current helper is triggered by “Ecobee Program Change“ to switch the Location Mode. (Ex: when the Ecobee program changes to “Home,” Location Mode is changed to “Home” as well.) Occasionally I see that it takes up to 20-30 minutes for the helper to change Location Mode after the Ecobee program changes. Assuming the helper checks Ecobee Program Change by polling, how often does it poll?

Thanks.

You set the polling frequency in ES Manager / Preferences. I suggest 1 or 2 minutes for your use case.

Yes. I set it at 2 min and I see a lot of activities every 2 minutes in the Activity Feed (temperature, humidity, occasional equipment status, etc.). But I am not sure I see the Ecobee Program status being checked in the 2-min polling notifications in the Activity Feed. Is the Ecobee Program status not supposed to show up in the Activity Feed?

You should see every change in the activity log. If not, turn on Live Logging in the IDE. Check ES Manager, the Thermostat device and the Helper’s log when you change the program. If you see any errors In any of those, PM me the log snippets of all 3 for the +/- 1 minute around the time of the error.