[DEPRECATED] Universal Ecobee Suite, version 1.7.**

My change last night was changing line 5138 of the suite SmartApp to:

def delta = 0

Changing line 2132 of the DTH doesn’t work because I’m not changing the thermostat setpoints, I’m changing the program setpoints. That function doesn’t get called as far as I can tell.

Also, FWIW, once you set the heatCoolMinDelta to 0.0, you shouldn’t have to set it again.

I can’t do that; the minimum at the thermostat is 2 degrees. But as I said earlier, it doesn’t actually enforce the min delta until I switch it into Auto mode. That’s why I’m looking for a code change to ignore the delta.

How did you test this?

• In heating mode
  • The active program’s setpoints are currently 71 heat, 73 cool
  • Change the active program’s heating setpoint to 74
  • Cooling setpoint remains at 73

All done manually at the thermostat.

Also, do you have the Auto Heat/Cool Feature Enabled ?

No. That was one of the first things I turned off because I didn’t want it messing with my setpoints.

How did you verify the cooling setpoint?

I configured my e3 to disable the autoHeat/Cool, and then set the (heat only) heating setpoint to 78° (higher than the cooling setpoint), but it still changes the cooling setpoint to 78°. I verified this by looking at the data sent back to ES Manager after the setpoint change. If I switch from heat to cool, the cooling setpoint is 78° also, even though I did nothing to change the cooling setpoint (except change from heat mode to cool).

So, how about this compromise:

• I’ll change all the setpoint-related stuff to check if autoHeatCoolFeatureEnabled and also that auto mode is a currently supported mode (these are actually linked to each other).
  • If both are false, I will ignore the heatCoolMinDelta and whether the requested heatingSetpoint is higher than the coolingSetpoint.
  • Thus, the code will pass the requested value(s) through without modification, and you will (eventually) get whatever the thermostat thinks you should get, without any muddling with the values.

Will that work for you?

How did you verify the cooling setpoint?

I checked it in the comfort setting. I did everything manually by the thermostat. I don’t know what the API sees.

Will that work for you?

It should. Hopefully the thermostat itself won’t try to be too smart.

Thanks.

Ah, NOW I understand why we were seeing different things - we were looking at different things. I was looking at the live setpoints; you were looking at the values getting put into the climates. They clearly work differently, because the thermostat won’t let you set a heating setpoint that is higher than the cooling setpoint, no matter what mode you are in.

But you can apparently set heat higher than cool in the Climate definition. I have no idea what happens when that climate gets switched to, however (which might be different than what happens when you change the setpoints of the currently running Climate).

I’ll have a version you can test in a few minutes…

I must have done something wrong when I installed Universal Ecobee Suite. I thought I followed all of the installation steps for SmartThings on your GitHub page. I have the 2 Device Handlers installed.

I have the children apps installed.

I have added the “Ecobee Suite Manager” to my SmartApps and under “Ecobee API Authorization” it shows “Connected”.

If I try to “Remove this instance” I get an error message that states “An unexpected error occurred.”

If I click “Save” I get an error message Stating “You are not authorized to perform the requested operation.”

I have enabled “OAuth” for the Ecobee Suite Manager.

I seem to have added “Ecobee (Connect)” after I installed your suite. When I try to uninstall “Ecobee (Connect)”, I get an error message that states “An unexpected error occurred.”

I also have these two listed on my “Devices” page. Am I able to delete these from SmartThings IDE?

When I added the Ecobee Smartthermostat with Voice Control (Ecobee 5) to SmartThings, only Ecobee4 was listed.

I did change the device handler for the Ecobee Smartthermostat with Voice Control to Ecobee Suite Thermostat.

Any ideas as to what I did wrong?

Ecobee Suite Manager, version 1.7.34 on SmartThings.

Ecobee Smartthermostat with Voice Control

Maybe this will help:

New Updates for Ecobee Suite posted on 14 November 2019 at 4:10pm EST

Updates include:

• Ecobee Suite Manager, version 1.7.38
    • NEW FEATURE When thermostat has Auto Mode disabled, changing setpoints no longer requires the enforcement of heatCoolMinDelta, nor is the heatingSetpoint required to be less than the coolingSetpoint.
    • calls to addSensorToProgram(), deleteSensorFromProgram() and setProgramSetpoints() are now serviced out of a queue, to avoid collisions and corruption of the request. Single requests are serviced within 2 seconds, but if a burst of requests come in, they will each be delayed uyp to 15 seconds from the last request.
  • Ecobee Suite Open Contacts, version 1.7.38
    • NEW FEATURE Customizable notifications, which allows you to customize/tailer the open/close notification messages in a variety of ways. Implemented in order to make announced/spoken messages more natural.
  • Ecobee Suite Thermal Comfort, version 1.7.19
    • No longer enforces rules on heating/cooling setpoints if the thermostat is not configured for Auto Mode
    • Customizable notifications
  • Ecobee Suite Thermostat, version 1.7.29
    • No longer enforces rules on heating/cooling setpoints if the thermostat is not configured for Auto Mode
    • fixed a typo in setProgramSetpoints()

These updates are recommended for all Ecobee Suite users

Thank you. That fixed my issue. Everything is working properly now.

1 Like

@storageanarchy thank you so much for sharing this powerful suite!

I installed 1.7.38 and there is no option to turn off the humidifier in quiet time helper. I can only turn off the hvac, fan, or change temps, or mode. I can control humidifcation using the device ui but I want to control it using a virtual switch. Ideas?

Ecobee Suite Quiet Time updated 17 Nov 2019 at 9:30am EST

• Ecobee Suite Quiet Time, version 1.7.08
    • Fixes typo that caused Helper not to offer to turn off Humidifier if the Thermostat has one configured

This fix is recommended for all users of Quiet Time

1 Like

I have noticed that the indoor temp settings are not working properly or maybe i dont understand when/how they will be activated. To my understanding…when i have my heat on with comfort settings set at 69heat and 72 cool and i have a 1degree heating/cooling differential set in the thermostat, then when the thermostat sensor detects a temp greater than 72.9 it should change it to cool and it should stay on until the indoor temp reaches 72 or maybe 69(i dont know which setpoint it would cool to) and then switch back to heat, correct? Because, for me, even when the temp reaches 75 degrees it never changes to cool. I should also mention that i have outdoor temps set that are controlling the heat/cool mode…should this function work regarless if i am am below, above or in between my outdoor temp thresholds?

I guess I’m a little confused - you seem to be asking about 2 different things.

Are you talking about the thermostat’s activity while in Auto mode, or about one of the ES Helper apps?

Here’s a good explanation of Ecobee Auto Mode: Help Centre

Note that while in Auto Mode, the thermostat never actually changes to Heat or Cool Mode, it just demands heat/cool based on the inside temperature.

So, you are using the Smart Mode Helper to change the thermostat mode based on outside temperature? Well, if you have it set the thermostat to Cool Mode and the indoor temperature drops below your Heating Setpoint, you won’t get Heat. Generally, I would suggest using the Smart Mode helper to set Cool Mode for outside temperatures above which you know you’ll only need A/C, and Heat Mode for outside temps below which you know you will only need heating, and Auto Mode in between.

BTW/FWIW, the differentials work such that Cooling will be demanded if the inside temp + the differential is greater than the setpoint. So, in your example with setpoint = 72° and a 1° differential, the A/C won’t be requested to cool until the inside temperature is above 73.0° (-ish). And not that the way the thermostat averages temperatures, you might see 73° on the display when the temperature is only 72.6°. This is why I include the ability to have Ecobee Suite display 1 or 2 decimal points - so that you can see what is really going on…

Im sorry, i guess i didnt ask my question clearly, i know how the AUTO mode works and all this is pertaining to the ES helper apps. I have the outdoor temp setting set at if below 54 call for heat and above 60 call for cool. I dont have it set to change to any mode including Auto when in between those points because in my dual zone system it just doesnt seem to work well, and sometimes i need heat and sometimes cool when its between 54 and 60 outside and the upstairs and downstairs start clashing . So, if i have the heat mode on and the heating setpoint set at 72degrees and the temp outside is say 55, your saying that the Indoor Temp Setting will NOT change it to cool if the the indoor temp rises to 73 or 74, because lets say the wife decides to turn on the fireplace or someting.i guess its a little confusing because the description says “Mode will be set to cool”, so that means it would have to be set on a different mode to begin with, right? I guess im was just looking for a failsafe other than AUTO mode incase its say cool outside and the house gets too warm.

And 1 more question, the Send Push Notification setting on the Smart Mode helper app says " you cant currently add this", so i have setup sms notifications to notify me when it changes the mode, but it has yet to send me a single text…any idea as to why this would be. Thank you for all your hard work on the program

The Ecobee Suite Smart Mode, Programs & Setpoints Helper will change the thermostat Mode, Program and/or Setpoints based entirely on the reading of the specified thermometer device. If you specify an outdoor thermometer, then what goes on inside won’t have any effect, other than what ever you have the setpoints configured as.

But, if you WANT it to change Modes based on internal temperature, simple choose an internal thermometer device!

If I’m still not understanding, then please PM me with the specific Helper you are using, the version of the Helper, the ES Thermostat DTH, and ES Manager, along with screen shots of your configuration settings.

And FWIW, “Auto” is intended for exactly the situation you describe. And, it’s OK for your HVAC to cool the upstairs and heat the downstairs - your zone controller should arbitrate the contradicting requests, running one until the setpoint is met, then switching to the other.

I’ll have an update shortly that clears this up…

Ecobee Suite Smart Mode updated 18 Nov. 2019 at 11:10am EST

• Ecobee Suite Smart Mode, version 1.7.20
    • Cleans up Notifications selector for SmartThings
    • Removed SMS notifications for HE (must use a Notification Device that provides SMS messaging)

**NOTE: ** If you use Echo Speaks, the various Echo Speaks devices should be presented as “Notification Devices” for both SmartThings and Hubitat. And with the latest versions of the Echo SPeeaks device drivers, there is a Preferences setting that will cause deviceNotifications to be preceeded by the Amazon “bing-bonk” alert tone. Thanks to @tonesto7 for that enhancement!

2 Likes

I see, so if i have it set to where the outside temp controls the heat/cool mode, that will render the Indoor Temperature Setting option useless. It might be a good idea to have the option “grey” out when an outside thermometer is set. So if i disable the outside thermometer and only use the Inside Setting option then i can have it behave like AUTO without the AUTO limitations like maintaining the minimum required 2 degree delta between heat and cool setpoints and a lower heat setpoint compared to the cooling

Please do me a favor and send me your configuration for the Smart Mode Helper, so I can better understand what you are trying to communicate.

Smart Mode does include an override that will switch to Cool Mode if the internal temperature gets higher than the coolingSetpoint, which is what I think you are asking for. But I can’t be sure without knowing how you have the Helper configured, and also if you have Auto Mode enabled, and your specific setpoints for both heating and cooling.

With that information, I should be able to better assist you…

Ecobee Suite Working From Home updated 19 November 2019 at 2:30pm EST

• Ecobee Suite Working From Home, version 1.7.13
    • Clean up Notifications section for ST users
    • Remove SMS texts for HE users
    • Added customizable notifications for both ST & HE users

This update is recommended for all users of ES Working From Home