[OBSOLETE] Trend Setter

I’m confused and not sure what I am doing wrong. I added the code to my IDE as Device Handlers. Not sure if that’s the same as Device Type. I cannot add it as a SmartApp because I get an error. Also, I read about “Dim with Me” and “Trend Setter”. Are they the same or are they the same thing? Was there a name change?

All I want to do is take a real (physical) dimmer switch, which is already on my Z-wave network, and have it control the on/off status and dim level of another z-wave dimmer switch so that they are synchronized. I don’t care about two-way control, so no worries about looping, basically one switch is the master and the second one the slave.

I added a device in the IDE and chose “Dimmer Group Device” as the device Type. Then in my SmartThings App, I can see the new virtual device, but then I can’t find a way to link my physical dimmer switches to it. There is no “group” setting. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I can’t find clear instructions.

Never mind. I figured it out. I was putting the code in the wrong place in IDE. After more careful reading I put them in the correct location and now I have working synchronized dimmers.

However, is this supposed to allow me to control one physical switch/dimmer from another switch/dimmer? I am finding I can only have synchronized control from the app and not from the physical switch/dimmers. If I turn on/off one physical switch, the others don’t do anything. Am I missing something?

new to ST, no clue how to use github , so how do i convert this github autism into something i can make use if in ST?
ie. what do i do with the github stuff in the OP?
how do i download the file/s i need form the github page and what do i do with it after that? or am i just supposed to use copy and paste to copy the code and paste it someplace?

So I’m still newish to smartthings but I installed this for two dimmers in my bedroom. When I adjust the brightness the app seems to go in the opposite direction and jump around inconsistently, not really setting it to what I am attempting to. Is this something I can adjust or change? Anything I should check?

Hi
Should Trend Setter be able to change a group of LIghtify RGB bulbs from a color into a temperature (not white color but a kelvin temperature)?

I ask because a year ago when I set this up, Trend Setter could not do this. I now tested it, and still it cannot change from color to kelvin through Trend Setter.

Can anyone confirm if the code should have been updated meantime to be able to do this?

The easiest way is to use the Github integration, how that’s set up is different depending on where you are. If you’re in the US the following instructions should work - you should only need to perform step 1 and look at the bits further down about how to update.

http://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/tools-and-ide/github-integration.html

Once enabled, add the repository info from the following:
https://community.smartthings.com/uploads/short-url/6Na2BfWMdBk4SVBpwv5GDfdf6Og.png

Hope that is of some help. I wish there was a easier way to do it, but SmartThings don’t seem to want to approve third-party SmartApps to the Marketplace… my submission has been waiting for over a year.

1 Like

That’s a strange one to be honest. Although I sometimes get odd behaviour (I can only put it down to latency issues and device handler quirks) it generally behaves how I intended. What dimmers are they?

If you’re able to use the Github integration version you’ll get additional device handlers that include colour temperature control. You’ll have set up your groups again though with the new type.

Thanks, do I need the GIT Hub integration? Are you able to provide a link to the DH on Git Hub where I can copy it from?

You don’t have to use it no, just makes it easier… the files are here:

2 Likes

Hey, just found this smart app. looks great! but after plugging in the github integration, I get the following error on the update…

Oh No! Something Went Wrong!
Error
500: Internal Server Error
URI
/ide/app/doRepoUpdates
Reference Id
a696541e-5610-4a0f-bc7f-ede5ad24ee43
Date
Mon Sep 25 20:54:21 UTC 2017

I am constantly recommending this App around these forums and even others. So funny because I installed the App and DTHs from Code and never had any issues from Day 1.

Same error for me as well @ptraugot

And you’re both using the following?

I am, Chris.

Yup. I see the apps listed in “New - only on github”, but after clicking them, I get the error.

I should mention that I have other smartapps from github working fine.

Not sure what would have changed.

When I set up the Github stuff, I had a few people use it without issue.

I’ll have a look as soon as I can. In the mean time you may have to install them manually…

What happens if you try to install the DTHs first, then the smartapps?

If I am using the Osram Temp. Bulbs, which DTH should I use in order to control both temp and dimming (These are NOT RGBW)?

DTHs installed no problem, Smartapps still errored.