[OBSOLETE] Trend Setter

Never mind, I discovered that some of these groups were still attached to ActionTiles and Logitech Harmony (Connect). Once I cleared those connection the Trendsetter groups deleted fine. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction to lead me there.

LJ

1 Like

Just installed everything via GitHub (what a cool thing that is!!) and I created my first group using 3 of Philips’ new WiFi Connected by Wiz lights, and when I use the group switch there’s like a 1/2 sec delay between each bulb turning on. Doesn’t seem to be much faster than just hitting a virtual switch to control them. How do we get it as fast as the native “Lighting Groups”? When I click on those they all turn on and off perfectly synced every time. But it doesn’t seem to let you use those in automations??!! :rage::rage: Totally new to all of this so maybe I’m missing something?

I haven’t kept up with the updates and just reinstalled everything as my setup stopped working recently. My problem is that my virtual dimmers are not dimming my group of lights. three bulbs paired with one virtual dimmer. The lights turn off and on fine with the virtual but when I dim the virtual nothing happens. Am I missing something?

Same problem happens to me since last night. I’m wondering if it’s not a global ST issues since Dim With Me smartapp has the same issue: turn on/off fine, but won’t dim

do you get this error in your dimmer group log:
java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property ‘value’ on null object @line 190 (setLevel)

If yes , try commenting the line 190 of the dimmer group device handler:
//sendEvent(name: “switch.setLevel”, value: val, rate: 0, isStateChange: true)

it worked for me.

1 Like

Sorry I’m pretty new to this. How do I check the dimmer group logs?

In the web IDE (where you added your smartapps code) https://graph.api.smartthings.com/
You have a tab named Live Logging at the top of the page. Go there and try to dim your virtual dimmer from the phone app. You should see the commands logged in real time.

Looks like I do have that error. So I replace what is already on line 190 with:

//sendEvent(name: “switch.setLevel”, value: val, rate: 0, isStateChange: true)

?

The original line of your dimmer group smartapp should be:
sendEvent(name: “switch.setLevel”, value: val, rate: 0, isStateChange: true)

If that’s the case, try to comment it by just adding // at the beginning of the line.

Then save and publish the file.
Note that this is a temporary fix, we’ll want to ask the autor of the smartapp for a proper fix.

Why are my grouped bulbs not coming on together at the same time? They just come on one at a time, the same way they do if they’re turned on normally with smartthings.

Limitation of SmartThings.

I thought that was one of the main points of this smart app? And If that’s the case, then how do they turn on and off perfectly synced using the native “Lighting Groups”?

Perhaps I am wrong. I may be thinking about when you do this via webCoRE as even using ASYNC commands it still runs sequentially. I just know those lamps I have controlled with Trend Setter have always turned on in sequence. It’s very quick (like ms gaps) but definitely not all at the same time.

Mine’s more like .5-1 sec in between each bulb in the group. :confused: But when switched on/off using the st’s native “Lighting Groups” they’re perfectly synced. Why can’t we use that in automations??

It worked! For now. Thanks for the help

Someone did but I don’t have Hubitat to test it on or the time if I’m honest.

Looking at the code, I can’t see why it would be doing this, the error doesn’t seem to give much detail, sorry :frowning:

I’m afraid the SmartApp is at the mercy of however the SmartThings platform decides to run the commands on the devices in the group. Because TrendSetter doesn’t run locally there’s always a chance of delays as it’s running in the cloud and then sending the commands to your hub. It isn’t this slow for everyone so I’m afraid I can’t be sure what the reasons for the delay would be.

Dimming Issue
I’ve noticed this is happening to me as well, I’ve updated the repository with a fix. SmartThings decided to deprecate something I think.

To clarify, when I said 1/2 sec delay between bulbs, I mean if there are 8 bulbs in a group, then one bulb turns on, then 1/2 sec later the 2nd bulb, followed by the next 1/2 sec later
 so on until they’re all on. So for 8 bulbs it takes approximately 4-5 seconds of watching them light up one at a time. Aren’t they all supposed to at least try to come on at the same time? Isn’t that one of the main things this smart app is supposed to do? Do you think it could be the fact that I’m using WiFi bulbs (new Philips WiFi Wiz ones)? I don’t believe my Samsung SmartThings bulbs I have installed have the same delay now that I think of it

I don’t know exactly how SmartThings sends the commands to the devices, all I can tell you is that TrendSetter sends them in one go without any delay, whether they get looped over underneath I don’t know. It’s possible that SmartThings handles WiFi connected devices differently :confused:

thats not a fix but a klugd now you are not setting the level of gthe bulb correctly
 someone needs to figure out what smarthings broke
 ihave the same issue in all my device types that set a dimming level

this i what is broken the event
sendEvent(name:“switch.setLevel”,value:level)

no longer works