[OBSOLETE] Trend Setter

ok i installed all 6 DTH and the 2 smart apps
and it is not working good at all ,if i tell alexa to change the light color it starts to fade to the color then it fades back to to white and stays there

also a description on how to use this thing would have been helpful
i do not understand why there are 2 smart apps which one does what if they are the same or if i need to use both of them in conjunction this is very confusing which one am i supposed to use or do i need to use them both?
i think i tried using just the one labeled ā€œtrend settedā€ and not the one labeled ā€œgroupā€
was i supposed to set the lights in the SA labeled group 1st and then in the trendsetter one?
i do not understand how this is supposed to work at all it is not self explanatory like the very broken color coordinator SA is

also not sure if i have installed too many DTH
am i supposed to have BOTH the one called
ā€œcolor-temperature-light-group-deviceā€ and the one called ā€œcolorful-temperature-light- group-deviceā€ installed or only one or the other?

Hi,

Sorry youā€™re having trouble. You do have to install everything. There are 2 SmartApps because the Trend Setter one is the main app and the Group one is a child SmartApp which represents each group of devices and coordinates them all with a virtual device created with one of the 6 device type handlers. The only thing you use directly is the main SmartApp but all the other stuff needs to be there for it to work.

As for your problem with the devices not behaving properly it sounds like you have managed to set up a group properly but the device handler for your lights may not work too well with TrendSetter. All this app does is repeat commands to each device in the group that were given to it from the source (ST app, Alexa etc). However some DTHs interpret those commands differently than others. Since I donā€™t have the lights youā€™re having trouble with itā€™s difficult to try to work out the problem.

Both need to be installed. One is for lights that ONLY supports color temperature (color-temperature-light-group-device) the other supports color temperature and RGB.

I intend to get a new thread sorted out when I have the time with better instructions but I am very busy and have trouble finding the time.

1 Like

ok thanks but another thing i thought of

i am not sure if i chose the right category /device type for the device
they all sound so similar i am not sure which one i should be using
color temperature light or colorful temperature light or colorful light

the devices i am trying to coordinate are all the same, 3 Lixada H801 LED strip controllers
flashed with the ST cfw by Eric Maycock ,these controllers have 5 channels and i am using
4 channels for my lights , R,G,B, and W1 for white , the handler seems to not be written to account for the W1 channel as white using the ST API.

if you tell alexa to turn the lights to white she turns on a simulated white using the R G B channels only and not the W1 channel (i do not like this)
i also use a smart app called virtual sync which creates 5 virtual switches for the device one for each of the 5 channels , and i use this to overcome the issue of it going to a simulated white instead of switching on the w1 channel where my white led strip is connected to.

i just name the w1 channel to whatever i command i want to use to switch on the white
but when i try grouping them in alexa smart home and i try to command the group
they donā€™t all respond i usually need to give the command several times to get them all on
that is why i was hoping this app would help me.

i plan on making 2 grouping in trend setter ,one with the 3 H801 controllers in it
and another with the 3 w1 channel virtual switches for the white which i will name something like warm lights

Thanks for the work on this Chris! One note, your first post is still pointing to Kriskit/SmartThingsPublic, which you seem to indicate in a later post has errors, and we should use the repository below instead. If you could update that top post, that would probably save a lot of people some time.

I was trying to install from github and it took me a while to find what I was doing wrong. It seems there is a fix in the posts here, but the keywords are all in screen shots, so itā€™s not searchable. Just in case anyone else runs into the same problem, hereā€™s the problem and solution in plain text:

If youā€™re installing from github and getting the ā€œskipped due to errorsā€ message, make sure youā€™re using kriskitā€™s new repo:
Owner: Kriskit
Name: SmartThings
Branch: TrendSetter

1 Like

Does this work for new smart things app. I was able to use device in old app. but in new app the group i created for lights cannot be accessed. it shows checking status all the time. can access the device in old app

No custom code works with the new SmartThings (Samsung Connect) app at this point.

So whatā€™s the point of even using the new app then?

There is none IMHO! Stick to the original until everything, I mean absolutely everything is working in the new version :blush:

:man_shrugging:t5: I am sticking with the old app as long as possible.

I have updated the Trend Setter device handlers in Github with ā€œvidā€ metadata parameters as close as I could for now so that they work on the new app. Canā€™t promise itā€™ll do exactly what you want as some of the types donā€™t fully match so not all functionality is available.

Very silly question and sorry for being so daft but how do i install this? I have webCoRE and github setup and assumed I would be able to ā€œUpdate from Repoā€ but i canā€™t find it in there. I then tried the ā€œImport buttonā€ but I just get the error message ā€œWe were unable to load the specified executableā€ both when trying to add a device handler and smartapp.

As you can probably tell, i am fairly new to SmartThings and i am trying to learn as i go!

Easiest way is to use this its

1 Like

Iā€™ve tried to install that but i get an error message when enabling OAuth - i have asked on the forum post how to resolve it so hopefully this will be sorted soon enough. In the meantime, how do i install Smartapps using .groovy code? Everything i have installed so far has used the raw code.

Import the following SmartApps:

TrendSetter (Publish)

Group (DO NOT PUBLISH)

Then import the following device handlers but do not publish any of them:

Switch Group

Dimmer Group

Color Temperature Light Group

Colorful Light Group

Colorful Temperature Light Group

Power Meter Group

Hope this helps!

The best way is to use the Github integration if possible but the above should get you going I think.

I followed the instruction given to install the app and device handler but this app is still not showing under SmartApp. Can someone suggest what am I missing?

PS: I was able to figure out. I was looking under Automation -> smartApps. But it was under MarketPlace. This is awesome App. My vote for official samsung smarthings app.

Kriskit

App os what I was looking for and I like the functionality. I am using it via Smartthings Via ActionTiles. When I change the color in ActionTiles, the grouped bulbs both dim down to 1%. Any thoughts.

j

First off this project is great. Nice work. I am currently using alexa groups and this mirrors it very closely.

The only thing I would like to change is to make it to merge the dimmer and switch device type. right now if you have a group in alexa that has dimmers and switch and you do a setlevel command via voice it just updates the dimmers, very convent. So It would be nice if any commands for a dimmer will only go to a dimmer. but ones that are shared between dimmers and switches like on/off will go to all devices. after a quick look at the documentation for groovy and smart things The functionality exists in "hasCommand" to see if a device supports a command like setlevel. It would be cool to rework this to have this happen. I donā€™t have the time to learn/rewrite/test this to have this functionality but it would be awesome if it did happen.

I am a noob, so please bear with me for asking simple questions.

I installed this app in ST classic app, created a group with DT Color Temperature Light Group Device, added 4 Sylvania Lightify Adjustable White lights to the group (called it ā€œOfficeā€). And saved the group and saved the ā€œTrend Setterā€ app.

Now I see group ā€œOfficeā€ as a thing under ā€œMy Homeā€ -> Things. Now what? How do I associate this thing to the Leviton Decora dimmer that I have added as a thing in my ST app? How can I use that Decora dimmer to control the levels of light.

Iā€™m so sorry for not responding earlier. Iā€™m assuming the issue hasnā€™t been resolved. Iā€™m unsure why it would do that except if for some reason the data being sent through from ActionTiles to set the colour is including some data that Trend Setter isnā€™t consuming properly. I think that colours can be represented in different formats in ST and can include alpha values which would apply to the dim level. I donā€™t have ActionTiles so I canā€™t test it. The only thing I can suggest is to try looking at the Live Log when changing the colour and seeing if it spits anything useful out.

Unfortunately when selecting devices ST doesnā€™t let you present more then one type for selection. If it did, then itā€™d probably work. It might be possible to make it change to a dimmer group device with an optional parameter if the device type selected for the group was Switch. If I get some time (not very likely unfortunately) I will try to have a look, unless someone else feels like having a crack at it and submitting a pull request :slight_smile: