[OBSOLETE] Trend Setter

Don’t know there has also been a update on the ST app so that could have also fixed it?

@Kriskit, thanks for your work on this app! I just finished reading this thread and installed everything. The GitHub integration is wonderful and I learned about branches today (didn’t know they exist).

My question is around grouping dimmers and switches together. I have both dimmers and switches in a few rooms, but it doesn’t look I can group them using the dimmer device type. I can do it with the switch type, but then I can’t dim the dimmers in that group.

Wouldn’t a switch just ignore the dimming command if it was somehow included in a dimmer group, but still respond to on/off?

My work-around was to make a downstairs dimmers and a downstairs switches group. Both groups are then sub-grouped in a downstairs group, using the switch type for all on/off functionality. Is this the best approach?

PS. Do most people use the same name for the group and the controller? Why would you want them to be different?

@Kriskit, deleted out the DH’s and SmartApps. Confirmed your GIT Hub setting were correct and re-entered the code via git hub.

Worked perfectly. Thanking you kindly.

Hi @Kriskit -
Thank you for a wonderful app! I’ve been looking for something like this for a while and stumbled upon it the other day. It works perfectly but I’m encountering an issue with the app remembering the last level settings, where if the created virtual switch is turned off and back on, it resets the level to 100%.

With the bulbs of the group (there are 3), one bulb retains the previous set level, but the other two inherit the 100% setting from the app. I tried enabling the Bidirectional option, but it made the levels go into an endless level loop, never settling on a value. I’ve pasted the log of the behavior below.

My physical actions simply were as follows:

1. Set Trend Setter device level to 27%
  2. Turn off Trend Setter device
  3. Turn on Trend Setter device

You can see immediately following the on event, the level set itself to 100, Overhead bulbs 1 & 2 are 100, 3 is 26.
Is there any way to fix this? Thank you so much.

9:51:14 PM: debug Updating Controller State: switch → [on, on, on]
9:51:14 PM: debug getChildDevices(false), children=1
9:51:13 PM: debug Device state change: Kitchen Overhead 3 → switch = on
9:51:11 PM: debug Updating Controller State: level → [100, 100, 26]
9:51:11 PM: debug Updating Controller State: switch → [on, on, off]
9:51:11 PM: debug getChildDevices(false), children=1
9:51:10 PM: debug Device state change: Kitchen Overhead 2 → level = 100
9:51:10 PM: debug Device state change: Kitchen Overhead 1 → level = 100
9:51:10 PM: debug Device state change: Kitchen Overhead 2 → switch = on
9:51:10 PM: debug Updating Controller State: switch → [on, off, off]
9:51:10 PM: debug getChildDevices(false), children=1
9:51:09 PM: debug Device state change: Kitchen Overhead 1 → switch = on
9:51:09 PM: debug Running command ‘on’ with arguments on [Kitchen Overhead 1, Kitchen Overhead 2, Kitchen Overhead 3]…
9:50:48 PM: debug Updating Controller State: level → [26, 26, 26]
9:50:48 PM: debug getChildDevices(false), children=1
9:50:47 PM: debug Device state change: Kitchen Overhead 3 → level = 26
9:50:46 PM: debug Device state change: Kitchen Overhead 3 → switch = off
9:50:46 PM: debug Device state change: Kitchen Overhead 2 → level = 26
9:50:45 PM: debug Device state change: Kitchen Overhead 2 → switch = off
9:50:45 PM: debug Device state change: Kitchen Overhead 1 → level = 26
9:50:45 PM: debug Device state change: Kitchen Overhead 1 → switch = off
9:50:45 PM: debug Running command ‘off’ with arguments on [Kitchen Overhead 1, Kitchen Overhead 2, Kitchen Overhead 3]…
9:50:38 PM: debug Updating Controller State: level → [27, 27, 27]
9:50:38 PM: debug getChildDevices(false), children=1
9:50:37 PM: debug Device state change: Kitchen Overhead 3 → level = 27
9:50:36 PM: debug Device state change: Kitchen Overhead 2 → level = 27
9:50:36 PM: debug Device state change: Kitchen Overhead 1 → level = 27
9:50:35 PM: debug Running command ‘setLevel’ with arguments [27] on [Kitchen Overhead 1, Kitchen Overhead 2, Kitchen Overhead 3]…

Update: I found commenting out the

sendEvent(name: “onPercentage”, value: 100, displayed: false)/sendEvent(name: “onPercentage”, value: 0, displayed: false)

values in the dimmer-group-device’s on/off fixes it.

Hi Jerry,

There are no associated commands being run on Kitchen Overhead 1 and 2 to set them to 100, which means that there is a state change on those devices outside of what Trend Setter is doing. Is it possible another SmartApp is causing this?

This is super strange, as the “onPercentage” event has no actual bearing on anything except for display purposes in the mobile app. No devices use that property for anything.

Hi @Kriskit can you help? I’ve added through github and updated device handleers. When I change colour it switches colour fine but then flashes white before returning to the colour. What’s going on ?

Ps. Under ‘my apps’ I have some thing called 'trendsetter 'and something called ‘group’ which should I be using ?

This might be down to the device handler that your lights are using. What is the light and are you using any specific device handler?

You should only be using the Trend Setter SmartApp… You don’t need to publish the Group SmartApp (unfortunately there’s no way of tagging a SmartApp as not publishable). You can rectify that by deleting the Group SmartApp and then pulling it from the GitHub repo again - but you’d need to delete your groups first.

Hi Chris

I’m using ZigBee RGBW Bulb.

They are both hue lightstrips

@Kriskit, since I set up my lights using your app, I have had no issues at all. The whole thing has worked as described, I even love the wording that comes up on occasions Offish :slight_smile:

The ability of grouping the lights has made my life easier and simpler.

Thank you for creating and thank you for sharing.

4 Likes

Does it now handle 3 dimmers, keeping them in sync through both programmatic and physical interaction?

It’s been a while, and I’m dealing with the issue again. I had to revert to only on dimmer working on the set of 3 pendants (hue bulbs)
Thanks!.

Just got the app installed - things seem to be mostly working, but I had a few questions:
1 - It seems like I can get the switch out of sync if I tap it multiple times in a row?
2 - Is there any way to modify the switch such that there’s a button to turn the whole switch off if it’s at all on? (Sometimes I want to just turn off all lights when some are on)

I added an experimental option for making it bi-directional, so when one changes via some other method, it should change the others, if that’s what you mean?

Should stress that it is experimental however, and it seemed to work for the person who suggested it.

How quickly are you tapping it? It does some aggregation of events and stuff to try and stop it sending shedloads of events around so it’s possible it might get out of sync if it’s pressed very quickly.

I can add some additional tiles to the device handlers for just On and Off… someone else suggested that previously but I didn’t get around to adding it.

@Quazie_Kwaselow I’ve updated the Github with changes to the devices for On and Off buttons.

2 Likes

Brilliant, much better. Now you don’t have to turn on, to turn off

1 Like

Thanks for adding these. I can now sync TS back to GitHub and overwrite my changes.

Assume you may have missed the request several months back or did not have time to work on it of course so wonder if you also maybe missed the other part :grin:

Is there any way you/we could add a list of the individual devices under the TS device at all? Would be killer to be able to go into the TS Device and see the devices that are in that group. Would be even better if you actually turn them ON/OFF individually from there also. At the moment it is only possible to see what is in the Group by going into the SmartApp etc. which is fine of course but when you have over 250 devices every little bit helps lol

Thanks again Chris! :slight_smile:

1 Like

To be honest I did see the request, but due to a combination of forgetfulness and being busy, it didn’t get done so I apologise for that. What other part did you mean as I can’t find it atm.

Sadly, you can’t generate tiles dynamically in the device handler so there’s no way of displaying a list of devices in the group :pensive:

2 Likes

The other part was the dynamic tiles bit.

Oh well, we can only dream lol

Thanks again Chris! Have a good one fella!

1 Like