[OBSOLETE] Thermostat Manager - An alternative to Thermostat Mode Director

@hsbarret I see. I’m thinking that maybe it was this change that actually solved the issue. What you did was to change the device handler that the thermostat was using.

If you would, please revert the Thermostat Manager code to the latest repository code and see if it works with the changes that you made to the device settings. If it does, then my guess was right and I will probably have to talk with SmartThings people about what all this, “placeholder” stuff is all about.

BTW, if this change does work, then you should be back to full functionality and shouldn’t have anything to worry about for the time being. That is unless there is a problem with the old device handler… in which case you may begin to notice problems with the thermostat device handler and may have to revert to the, “placeholder” type…

@jmarkwell
Well, this is where I am at this point with troubleshooting. I realized that although the thermostat DH was showing changes (made through the actual app for the thermostat), the ST DH would not allow me to make changes. Therefore, I removed the DH, and Thermostat Manager, and started over.

1. changing the “hub” from nothing to “smartthings hub” in IDE devices takes away the ability to make changes from the ST DH.
  2. In order for Thermostat Manager to recognize the thermostat, both “Type” (in IDE devices) and the code change on 239 have to be made. “Type” has to be changed from placeholder to the model of my thermostat.
    Now, all indications show that Thermostat Manager is in charge, including in the IDE devices under thermostat, and control is established from the thermostat DH. However, I cannot seem to actually get thermostat manager to work… all I can really test (I am not there) is the heat and cool thresholds. They do not seem to be responding. Being that thermostat manager has worked flawlessly unto this point, I have to point to some type of problem with the ST DH for the thermostat. Best I can tell at this point, however I will keep trying.

@hsbarrett That actually makes sense. The capability change to the code that you made allows the interface to find the thermostat but it doesn’t allow full control.

So if you use the standard repo code you can’t see the thermostat even after you update the “type” (device handler) to the old one? If so, this may be a difficult problem…

@jmarkwell
I have tried every configuration I can think of. The only way to make Thermostat manager recognize the thermostat is to change the code line. This is regardless of placeholder or hub settings on the thermostat DH in ide. I have deleted the DH and reloaded from ST, no luck. Thermostat manager is not controlling the DH. I may be missing something simple, but I cannot get it to talk. I still have to think this is a problem with the DH. When this started (last week), the DH for the thermostat suddenly became a sensor only - would not even show the controls. Reloaded with the specific DH for my thermostat from ST, and this is where the problems started. Leave it to my luck for strange problems such as this. Thank you again for your help and time

@hsbarret OK. I think I can fix this, but it’ll take some time and I’m not sure it’ll work. For the time being, I recommend using manual settings or an alternative app. I’ll get back to you when I add this code in. You’ll have to act as kindof a beta tester since I can’t test this myself. I’ll have to add in all of these separate capabilities and allow for alternative control methods…

@jmarkwell
… Just for the hell of it, I tried the thermostat mode director (which never worked properly in the past for me), and it would also not recognize the thermostat. I called Samsung, and was informed that they are aware of an issue with the thermostat DH, and they are working on it now, however they do not have a timeline for the fix.

1 Like

@jmarkwell
I contacted Samsung again after not hearing back. As far as acknowledging an issue with the thermostat dh, this person had no idea what the previous tech was talking about. I was then informed they would only look into the issue if it was one of their published apps. Therefore I explained that the thermostat mode director would not work either. At that point they took the case. Three days ago, I received a simple email stating that the app will no longer work with the new smartthings updates. Once again, not sure what to think. I was truly hoping this would be fixed on their end, and as usual I was wrong. Hate to ask, but do you have any Ideas? Thank you

Yes, but it’d be a real pain to implement and the app would really only work for you. I’d like to make sure we exhaust other options.

Did you try using the old Honeywell DH with the default Thermostat Manager app (with no line changes)? Try this with both the, “smartthings hub” (which is probably your real hub) and the blank hub. My guess would be that the, “smartthings hub” is probably the one to use for this situation. I think that this will fix the issue, although if you do have problems, my guess would be that the problems would have to do with the Honeywell app you mentioned…

The problem is that your Honeywell app connects to Honeywell through the internet and a cloud capable DH would have to send Honeywell updates for any changes that are made locally by SmartThings. If we aren’t using their latest DH, then these updates may not be being sent properly. Being that you aren’t physically at this location, you can’t go to the thermostat and verify that things have been set properly, correct? This is the problem. I would think that with the changes that I’ve suggested that the old DH and the TM app would work properly. But you want outside verification I would expect. I recommend testing this setup up by using external temperature sensors if you have them. Set the temperatures and modes to test settings they wouldn’t normally be at and then use remote sensors (like a SmartThings motion sensor or door sensor) to verify that the temperature is near where you set it.

If this doesn’t work, or if you are unhappy with this situation, I would have to create a special Thermostat Manager app just for you. Personally, I think a better scenario would be to avoid situations like this completely by using a non-cloud-based thermostat like the Zen or the GoControl. Honeywell also has some offline versions.

Let me know how it goes, and I’ll have another look at the code to see if there are any better options.

@jmarkwell
I may have been misleading – samsung was stating that thermostat manager nor thermostat mode director would work with the new smartthings update (as of november as I remember).

As far as the honeywell app in conjunction with smartthings, changes made on either one do correspond with the other, so that part seems to work. I went back and reloaded thermostat manager (no line changes), and reloaded the smartthings thermostat handler. Default for the smartthings thermostat dh is blank hub. I changed it to smartthings hub. Tried both ways, same result - thermostat manager still says “no device found” under thermostat choice (incidentally, same results on thermostat mode director).

I have been at the physical location, and the thermostat is showing changes made from the honeywell app, as well as the smartthings thermostat dh.
The only way to make thermostat manager recognize the smartthings thermostat dh is to change that one line of code, however at that point thermostat manager will not make any changes (ie doors left open).
I do not want you to make me my own app - I just wish I had more knowledge to explain to samsung that all of this worked flawlessly until they made their “updates”. I am still convinced that thermostat manager is not the issue.
Also worthy of note, I asked Samsung if Thermostat Mode Director would indeed no longer work with the new smartthings update, then why was it still available on their published page?.. they could not give me an answer for that. I appreciate your time, and thanks.

This one I know is incorrect. It’s working just fine for me (since I fixed it post-update that is).

You are referring to the, “placeholder” DH here, right? I meant for you to try this with the old Honeywell DH. You said that it was called, “Honeywell 8000/9000 tcc thermostat”.

I expect this, from the new, “placeholder” DH. But I would expect that the old Honeywell DH would work the way that it used to before the recent updates.

Also expected. This one line change only allows the different thermostat type to be selected. It doesn’t allow it to function properly. This is where having to rewrite the app comes into play.

This latest tech you spoke to seems to be less knowledgeable than the last one IMO.

@jmarkwell
Yes - I changed placeholder to honeywell 8000/9000. Tried it both ways, no difference.

The device id for the thermostat is listed as a honeywell, but is says undefined. Maybe an issue?

Yes you are correct- I do not believe that the left hand knows what the right hand is doing at tech support.

I’ve had the same issue issue as hsbarrett, that no app can see my Honeywell 9000 tcc thermostat. Just to let you know its not an isolated issue

1 Like

@hsbarrett, @troy_owens

I’ll see what I can do fellas. But right now, it looks like its going to require a weird custom offshoot of the app if I am to resolve this on my end – also, I couldn’t be sure that what I have in mind would work because I can’t see the code behind this new cloud based DH. Give me some time and I’ll see what I can do.

1 Like

If its something that ends up being simple it would be very much appreciated but if its not please dont worry about it. The extra funtionality of the tstat would be a nice bonus but not essential in my case at least.

@jmarkwell
Thank you. If it can’t be done, I understand. Nevertheless, thank you for your time.

@hsbarrett, @troy_owens,

I’ve got an idea, but it’ll take a little time to implement…

1 Like

@jmarkwell
Thank you much. Your work is appreciated. As far as testing or such, let me know what I can do to help.

Any chance you can get this to see the new nest integrated thermostats?

That is what he is currently working on.

@hsbarrett, @troy_owens, @Tony_Flippance, & @Andremain

Just wanted to give you guys an update. I’ve got a prototype running at my house and it looks like these changes are going to work. I’ll give ya’ll another update soon.

1 Like