[OBSOLETE] Thermostat Manager - An alternative to Thermostat Mode Director

Hi Jordan - thanks for this cool app. My use case is a bit different - I have a Mitsubishi Minisplit system which has the annoying property that the fan never automatically shuts off. I would like to have the mode change to off when it is between the cooling and heating setpoints.
My thermostat is the Mitsubishi MHK1 which connects to the cloud via a Honeywell RedLink internet gateway which is, in turn, connected to Smartthings via Honeywell’s app. Unfortunately, Thermostat Manager appears to configure correctly, but it never actually responds to temperature changes. I’m not seeing any useful events in the debug log.
Do you have any suggestions, and is the use case of shutting off between set points one you have considered? This is a fairly common complaint for mini-split users.

thank you ill try it

1 Like

Paul, as far as the fan situation - TM does not have that capability as it is currently, but I’ll think about adding it. First I’d suggest that you make sure that there aren’t any programmable settings for your thermostat that would allow you to control the fan in that way. Many thermostats have advanced settings that would allow you to do something like that.

As far as normal operation, I’ll take a look. Send me a link to the code for the device handler you are using.

Are you in Asia? They use units like that alot in SE Asia. Just curious :slight_smile:

Nope - I’m in Seattle. As it gets hotter here, minisplits are a popular add on to cool rooms in old houses like mine that are heated with a boiler and have no ducting.
The way these systems work is to just keep the fan running until you change the mode to off. I have researched it extensively, and the thermostat options are very limited.

The device is listed as a Honeywell TCC 8000/9000 Thermostat with an execution location of Cloud. Is that enough information?

Which SmartThings device handler? Maybe you don’t have one? If that’s the case then that is the root of your problem. SmartThings needs a software interface to your thermostat (gateway). When you open SmartThings, do you see your thermostat there?

Never mind. I see you listed the execution location. You must have gotten that from the SmartThings web interface. Give me a little while and I’ll give you instructions on how you can get your device handler infos.

Paul, in the ST IDE, click on “My Devices”, near the top, and then select your thermostat from the list. On the thermostat page, what does the row that says, “Type”, (3rd row from the top) say? What does the 1st row (Name) say also?

Name and type for the thermostat both say Honeywell TCC 8000/9000 Thermostat
I suspect that the Mitsubishi thermostat is a Honeywell OEM as the devices are identical in every way.
This image shows the current device state.

Thanks. I’ll see if I can find the code.

I have a problem. On several occasions, the thermostat manager would turn the thermostat off after 2 minutes (as I programmed it) but it would not turn it back one when the balcony door is closed. The door sensor functions as it should and I can see those events there. What could be the problem?

I only have the log of the last event. It seems that the door was closed exactly (well, more or less) 2 minutes after it was opened. Might that be the problem?

Paul, okay I didn’t find the original code but I did find a copy of it and it looks like there shouldn’t be any problems.

I should ask you to clarify this:

“it never actually responds to temperature changes”

Are you saying that TM can’t change the temperature? Could you give me an example scenario? Is this while using the Smart Home Monitor settings that set the temperature with the security mode?

Also need clarification on this:

“I have a Mitsubishi Minisplit system which has the annoying property that the fan never automatically shuts off. I would like to have the mode change to off when it is between the cooling and heating setpoints.”

Most thermostats have an independent fan setting. Yours does not? Or are you saying that the fan remains running even when the A/C isn’t cooling the air?

Since I can’t seem to find the source code for the honeywell device handler I may need to ask a bunch of questions…

Peter, default “holdAfter” time is 2 minutes. This means that the thermostat will turn back on 2 minutes after the door has been closed. Did you wait 2 minutes (or however long yours may be configured for) and it never came on? If you didn’t know about this setting, you can set it to zero if you don’t want to use it.

Maybe I am using a very old version (I have not updated it for more than an year). I do not see such a setting.

It never came back. By “never”, I mean 2-3 hours until I noticed it.

Hmm. Well there have been several updates and bug fixes. I’d suggest updating to the latest version. Let me know if it still happens.

Thanks, I will update it.

Apparently, the older version I have is reacting on a closed contact once. If it misses to turn the thermostat back on for whatever reason (maybe the thermostat just did not get the command), it does not check again to see if the contact is closed and the thermostat is off. Perhaps this could be implemented in a future release - doublechecking every 5 minutes or so?

The scenario is:
Thermostat Mode is set to off.
Thermostat Manager has a Cooling Threshold Set at 76F with Cool Mode enabled.
Notifications are turned on.
Temperature in the room rises from 75F to 77F.
There is no Notification, and no Change in the Thermostat Mode.

I have just ordered a door sensor, and I will get back to this next weekend (traveling for a few days). With the door sensor, I should be able to see if Thermostat Manager is able to change the mode in response to an open door.

As a point of interest, I tried this with Thermostat Mode Director first, and it produced a notification at the desired threshold, but also never successfully changed the mode of the actual thermostat.

When it comes to the behavior of the Mitsubishi, there is a separate fan control, but if the thermostat mode is set to anything other than off, the fan will always be running. So whether in Cool, Heat, or Auto, even after the temperature falls below the set point, the fan runs until the mode is manually turned off. This is working as designed, but it is not the behavior I prefer.

Peter, the current version has a feature like this. 3 rechecks are performed until a failure is declared.

Paul,

Did you make sure that the setting, “Allow Manual Thermostat Off to Override Thermostat Manager”, is disabled?

Also, I would suggest trying this test with a lower temperature setting; say 72F. Some thermostats do math in Celsius and so sometimes temperature changes actually occur in increments of about 1.5 degrees F or so. Also, turn on debug logging and show me the output. If TM is failing to make a change it should be noted in the log.

If you could show me a screenshot of the entire thermostat device page that might be helpful.

The only thing I can think of at this point would be that maybe your thermostat doesn’t support, “thermostat” capability in the SmartThings device handler. If this is the case - then I can provide a remedy but from the code I’ve seen, it looks like this is not the problem.

I was not sure how to post the log, so I put in in a file here:

It become more erratic yesterday. I am traveling and we have renters in that property. The thermostat is locked and if the app turns it off, they cannot turn it on. I have to do it from a distance. The app sent off commands several times when no door was opened. Around 11:15pm or so, I noticed that the thermostat had been off for two hours - that was the last time it misbehaved. I had to disable it.

That setting is off.

I can turn logging on in a few months when I visit. I could do it now but I am not there to open and close the doors.

Thank you for your help.

Peter,

That post was meant for Paul (the TabbysTreehouse user). For your situation, I suggest you update to the latest version of TM. If you are still having issues then I will take a look after you have updated.

Since I’m here, I should let you know that there was a change between some of the 2018 versions of TM that require an extra step after updating. Just in case you are using an affected version, do the following when you update:

For anyone using build 20181010 or earlier, after you update to any version 20181011 or later, you will need to change the value of the, “Disable Smart Home Monitor Based SetPoint Enforcement” slider (enable or disable it) and then save Thermostat Manager. After you have saved, you can change the setting back to what you want it to be. I recommend doing this even if you don’t use Smart Home Monitor Based SetPoint Enforcement.