[RELEASE] Thermostat Manager - An alternative to Thermostat Mode Director

Chris, apparently there are many device handlers for the GoControl RCS TBZ48 out there. You’ll have to tell me which one you’re using. If you’re not sure, go to the SmartThings IDE, click on “My Devices”, near the top, and then select your thermostat from the list. On the thermostat page, what does the row that says, “Type”, say?

Ah, interesting. My type:0806
Edit: type:0806 mfr:0010 prod:5442 model:5432 ver:1.02 zwv:3.40 lib:06
Brand Name: RCS Product Identifier: TBZ48

It’s not limited to your smartapp, i’ve tried a few others like “Run circulate in HVAC” and “Thermostat Fan On/Auto v4” and they same thing when trying to choose a thermostat.

1 Like

No, I’m talking about the device type that the device handler says it is, or in other words; the name of the device handler. In the ST IDE, click on “My Devices”, near the top, and then select your thermostat from the list. On the thermostat page, what does the row that says, “Type”, (3rd row from the top) say? What does the 1st row (Name) say also?

Name Z-Wave Battery Thermostat
Type Z-Wave Battery Thermostat

1 Like

Perfect. Thanks, I found it. Here’s the code from the ST Repo if you’re interested:

The problem is that this device handler doesn’t use a “thermostat” capability. “thermostat” capability is pretty standard although there are alternatives to use, it is what most thermostat device handlers use. Let me take a look and I can make a suggestion…

1 Like

Chris,

Okay, now I will first say that this is something that I could fix by modifying Thermostat Manager. However, this would be a significant change and you are the first person to have run into this issue so I’m thinking that you are probably just using a bad device handler. If thermostats begin to move away from using, “thermostat” capability to something else however, I will eventually change TM. But I don’t think that this is something that is necessary at this time.

I found you some alternatives. I also suggest that you search these forums and find some other options yourself, there will be plenty to choose from. Just make sure that you see the line:
capability “Thermostat”
near the top of the code.

Others in the forum say that they use this device handler for your thermostat. It’s just called, “Z-Wave Thermostat”. FYI, I also read people saying they’re using a device handler called, “Z-Wave Thermostat Generic” but I couldn’t find it in the repo. If you see it in the SmartThings app, I suggest trying the, “generic” one first.

Now here is a developer from the forums who CHARGES for his work. This thermostat is a PAY thermostat. If you want the code you have to buy it – or something like that. I’ve never used any of his stuff myself. But it looks like a very full featured device handler. If you don’t mind paying some money and want a really nice device handler, this one might be for you:

If you have any other questions or concerns, let me know. Always glad to help. And again, if this starts to be a trend I will modify TM to keep up.

Awesome you went above and beyond. Thanks for the info!!!

Found one more. Some people from the forums also use this one. I don’t know anything about it but it appears to be from a guy like myself who develops free apps.

Jordan, thank you for the “Hold Over” timer. I installed it shortly after it came out, and because of the situation I am using it in, it has been tested well. Thus far, it (and the rest of the app) has worked to perfection. Thank you again for your work. HS Barrett

1 Like

Hi Jordan - thanks for this cool app. My use case is a bit different - I have a Mitsubishi Minisplit system which has the annoying property that the fan never automatically shuts off. I would like to have the mode change to off when it is between the cooling and heating setpoints.
My thermostat is the Mitsubishi MHK1 which connects to the cloud via a Honeywell RedLink internet gateway which is, in turn, connected to Smartthings via Honeywell’s app. Unfortunately, Thermostat Manager appears to configure correctly, but it never actually responds to temperature changes. I’m not seeing any useful events in the debug log.
Do you have any suggestions, and is the use case of shutting off between set points one you have considered? This is a fairly common complaint for mini-split users.

thank you ill try it

1 Like

Paul, as far as the fan situation - TM does not have that capability as it is currently, but I’ll think about adding it. First I’d suggest that you make sure that there aren’t any programmable settings for your thermostat that would allow you to control the fan in that way. Many thermostats have advanced settings that would allow you to do something like that.

As far as normal operation, I’ll take a look. Send me a link to the code for the device handler you are using.

Are you in Asia? They use units like that alot in SE Asia. Just curious :slight_smile:

Nope - I’m in Seattle. As it gets hotter here, minisplits are a popular add on to cool rooms in old houses like mine that are heated with a boiler and have no ducting.
The way these systems work is to just keep the fan running until you change the mode to off. I have researched it extensively, and the thermostat options are very limited.

The device is listed as a Honeywell TCC 8000/9000 Thermostat with an execution location of Cloud. Is that enough information?

Which SmartThings device handler? Maybe you don’t have one? If that’s the case then that is the root of your problem. SmartThings needs a software interface to your thermostat (gateway). When you open SmartThings, do you see your thermostat there?

Never mind. I see you listed the execution location. You must have gotten that from the SmartThings web interface. Give me a little while and I’ll give you instructions on how you can get your device handler infos.

Paul, in the ST IDE, click on “My Devices”, near the top, and then select your thermostat from the list. On the thermostat page, what does the row that says, “Type”, (3rd row from the top) say? What does the 1st row (Name) say also?

Name and type for the thermostat both say Honeywell TCC 8000/9000 Thermostat
I suspect that the Mitsubishi thermostat is a Honeywell OEM as the devices are identical in every way.
This image shows the current device state.

Thanks. I’ll see if I can find the code.

I have a problem. On several occasions, the thermostat manager would turn the thermostat off after 2 minutes (as I programmed it) but it would not turn it back one when the balcony door is closed. The door sensor functions as it should and I can see those events there. What could be the problem?

I only have the log of the last event. It seems that the door was closed exactly (well, more or less) 2 minutes after it was opened. Might that be the problem?

Paul, okay I didn’t find the original code but I did find a copy of it and it looks like there shouldn’t be any problems.

I should ask you to clarify this:

“it never actually responds to temperature changes”

Are you saying that TM can’t change the temperature? Could you give me an example scenario? Is this while using the Smart Home Monitor settings that set the temperature with the security mode?

Also need clarification on this:

“I have a Mitsubishi Minisplit system which has the annoying property that the fan never automatically shuts off. I would like to have the mode change to off when it is between the cooling and heating setpoints.”

Most thermostats have an independent fan setting. Yours does not? Or are you saying that the fan remains running even when the A/C isn’t cooling the air?

Since I can’t seem to find the source code for the honeywell device handler I may need to ask a bunch of questions…