[DEPRECATED] Ecobee DTH and Helper SmartApps

Thanks, that seem to have done the trick. I looked in the connect app yesterday to log back in but it said I was logged in already.

Good suggestion - Iā€™ll add it to my backlog.

Iā€™m wondering if this should be the default behavior anyway, rather than an option (more options makes things more complicated).

There seem to be an error condition that the code doesnā€™t properly recover fromā€¦Iā€™m trying to capture a Live Log for when the initial problem occursā€¦

Itā€™s my first time seeing this since I installed the dh. My last cooling log report was 06/14/17 @ 6:30AM

I think it would make sense being the default behavior. Vacation Mode is supposed to take precedence over the other modes on the Ecobee, so it would make sense that other things should respect that.

Interesting thought - should it allow ANY program to be set while in Vacation mode, or should you have to cancel the vacation before changing the Program to Home, Sleep, Awayā€¦

What do you think?

When I set Vacation Mode, it lets me pick fan mode, heat/cool mode, temp, etc. for the purpose of locking it to one thing while on vacation. I would think that when itā€™s in vacation mode, nothing should be changed without using the Ecobee app to do so. That way I can still let all of my ST routines and pistons run as normal without having to pause them to stop them from changing the Ecobee.

That being said, I would still want ā€œEcobee Connect - Resumeā€ to kick it out of Vacation mode so that I can manually resume using ST or my presence sensors can cause it to resume when someone returns home.

Thatā€™s what I was thinking alsoā€¦ stop all changes to Vacation EXCEPT the Cancel Vacation button on the Ecobee DTH in SmartThings.

I donā€™t know if this will work for othersā€¦ but I have a ST mode just for vacation. When I leave and trigger that mode, it triggers a different child app to do an indefinite hold at my vacation parameters, instead of a hold till next program (normal away). Itā€™s worked fairly well for me, and when we come back, my ā€œIā€™m Homeā€ puts the house back to home, and restarts the cycles and temperature settings.

My latest enhancements will make the SmartThings DTH work much more like the Ecobee mobile app.

Specifically:

• When the thermostat is in Vacation mode, you wonā€™t be able to change the Program (Home/Away/Sleep), the Fan (auto/on/off) or the Temperature settings. This will help avoid weird situations where it was possible to override a Vacation with a Hold.
  • To accomplish this, buttons will be ā€œgreyed outā€, and the API will block attempts to change the above settings as well.

However, not wanting the only way to cancel a Vacation to be to do so manually (from the ST Ecobee DTH, the Ecobee mobile app, the Ecobee web app, or the thermostat itself), I am also adding the ability to programmatically Cancel Vacation from the Routines/Mode/Program Helper SmartApp, based off of either location.mode change or a selected Routine execution.

The idea of a Vacation mode is one I also just started using. I like to schedule ā€œvacationā€ time on the Ecobee, and when it starts a Vacation, I have a Routines/Mode/Program Helper SmartApp run a ST ā€œGone Fishinā€™ā€ Routine which locks things down and sets location.mode to Vacation. And then when I return home, I have a Routines/Mode/Program Helper trigger off of ā€œIā€™m Backā€ to cancel the Vacation on my Ecobee (although I usually schedule the Ecobee Vacation to end before I plan to get home, so that the house has time to pre-cool/pre-heat).

Also, FYI, I am re-enabling the ability to turn off the thermostat and to cycle through the options for Mode (off/auto/cool/heat) and fanMode. Add in a few new tricks to make things more responsive to changes, and the new User Interface is looking pretty good. Still doing some testing, but I plan to post the update tomorrow night (Sunday, EDT).

Thoughts/comments/feedback welcome!

That sounds great. Iā€™ll try and test it out as soon as you post it.

Iā€™m going to need another day or two - found a couple of nagging little issues that I want to clear up before I release this update. Hopefully you will find it worth the waitā€¦

Barry Iā€™ve noticed something today when I installed your DTH and the smartapps in regards to the displayed temperature. I have the decimal places to display set at zero and while viewing a single sensor it shows in whole numbers. However, in the Things list is the temperature is displayed with one decimal place. When I change the decimal places to display it changes it in the sensor view but not the Things list view.

Hmmmā€¦seems something has changed with SmartThings - I suspect that it also does this for any other temperature device that provides decimals of detail.

I will see what I can do about rounding those numbers appropriately when Decimals = 0.

Thanks for the report!

1 Like

Can someone help me remove this completely so i can start over ?
I had to get a new thermostat from ecobee because mine was defective and now nothing works.
I tried uninstalling it every way I could find in this thread but to no availā€¦
All I get is a ā€œERROR SAVING PAGEā€ in my app nowā€¦

New version just posted addresses this - will display the same precision in the Devices list as in the DTH Tile itself.

Ideally, you would do this on your Mobile, and (in this order):

1. On your mobile, remove any SmartApps that use the sensor or the thermostat devices
  2. Go into the Ecobee (Connect) app on your mobile
    a. Remove all the associated Helper SmartApps
    b. Exit the Ecobee (Connect) app
  3. Go back into Ecobee (Connect)
    a. Deselect all the selected sensor devices
    b. Exit the Ecobee (Connect) app
  4. Back into Ecobee (Connect)
    a.Deselect all selected thermostats
    b. Exit the app
  5. Back into Ecobee (Connect)
    a. Remove the app itself
  6. Go into the IDE
    a. Select My Devices
    b. Delete any EcoTherm or EcoSensor devices

This should workā€¦I ran into similar issues myself when I had to replace 2 of my 3 thermostats. If you still have problems, try updating your IDE with the latest of all the associated files (be sure to Publish them all) and try again - I did do some code work to make this sort of removal more reliable.

Major New Release just Posted!

Key changes and enhancments:

• UI is much quicker, updating without waiting for a complete round-trip from the Ecobee cloudā€“>thermostat and back for most operations

• No longer allows thermostat Program/Climate or Fan Mode to be changed while in Vacation mode. This is consistent with the Ecobee web, mobile and physical devices

• Certain buttons are ā€œgreyed outā€ when they are not available or applicable (e.g., you canā€™t select ā€œResumeā€ if the thermostat isnā€™t in Hold)

• Temperature displays in Device Lists now show the same (selectable) decimal positions as the display Tile itself

• You can now specify the fanMinOnTime for the target Program/Climate within ecobee Routines - this because the Ecobee 3/4 thermostat ignores changes after entering a Hold.

• Since you can no longer cancel or override a Vacation, ecobee Routines now has a Cancel Vacation option - for example, you can have the Vacation cancelled when ST changes from Away back to Home.

• Overall, reduced the overhead by using more lightweight polls where previously all data would have been collected, including the (new) Refresh button. BTW, if you feel you REALLY want a complete data dump from the Ecobee cloud, hit the Refresh button again immediately after the Ecobee icon is redrawn, and it will request that ALL data be resent.

Generally, this release should be more responsive, more reliable, and more intuitive.

FWIW, I also cleaned up the GitHub repository to include only the files related to this implementation. See the Main post for pointers to the installation instructions and the repository :

1 Like

Just postedā€¦

so I have to remove core??
also I have the ecobee 3 lite with no sensors. And I never installed any helper apps yet.