[DEPRECATED] Ecobee DTH and Helper SmartApps

I can detect motion on my main unit and on my sensors.

However, the bigger issue here is the polling time. By default, it’s set to 5 minutes. So, that means that 5 minutes AFTER the motion occurs, SmartThings gets notified. I assume this is why the standard DTH doesn’t expose motion events. In order to get motion working reliably, you’d want 10-30 second API pulls or even less than that (which is totally unrealistic).

Generally, you’ll see a message in recent activity stating that “API connection is full”. This is due to API limitations imposed by Ecobee. So, I personally would NOT recommend using your Ecobee or sensors as motion sensors until someone can find a way of polling the units locally and not needing to go through Ecobee.

Suggestion - enable displaying the thermostat as a separate sensor under Preferences for Ecobee (Connect), and use that EcoSensor instead of the EcoTherm device. There may be a difference (as is true with the Temperature).

Thanks!
Barry

I have zero motion events in my recently log. I do see the motion icon in the DTH. I went into the Ecobee (Connect) smart app and did not see any preferences in there. It just wants me to select my thermostat and my sensors, which i have already done.

Even polling locally, the occupancy=true event is not reported by the Ecobee itself until up to 15 minutes after motion is first detected, and then occupancy=false can be up to another 15 minutes later.

My DTH can handle a polling rate of 1 per minute, so it could be 16 minutes after motion started before it gets reported.

Thanks!
Barry

I saw that in your reply before mine. I was just getting ready to edit my response. LOL

In Ecobee (Connect), under Preferences tab, turn on “Include Thermostats as a separate Sensor”. Then, under Sensors, select the thermostat device as an additional sensor.

That should create another EcoSensor for the thermostat itself, showing only Temp and Occupancy (motion).

Barry

I do not see a preference tab. Are you doing this from the Smartthings App? When I go into the Ecobee (Connect) app, all it has is for me to select my thermostat and my sensor. What am I missing? I am using an android phone, would that make a difference?

Upload your screenshot it should look like this:

Preference third item (not sure if this shows differently in android)

Then once you do steps mentioned [DEPRECATED] The Best FREE Ecobee DTH and Helper SmartApps - Now with Ask Alexa Message Queue Support, and an Enhanced User Experience! your sensor will show up

Mine looks nothing like that. I’ll try to post pics in a bit.

Sounds like you are not using my customized DTH - perhaps you are using the stock version from SmartThings. See the first post of this thread to find installation instructions.

Thanks!
Barry

I’m almost positive it is your DTH. It’s the same name as the stock DTH, but it is at the bottom of my list with all my other custom DTH’s.

You definitely aren’t using my version of Ecobee (Connect). If you were, you would see the screen as shown in the screenshots earlier in this thread, and there would be a version number at the bottom of the Ecobee (Connect) setup page. (If it is there, please tell me what version it displays).

You should double-check that you have installed, saved and Publish/For Me all 8 of the SmartApps and both of the Ecobee device handlers…it appears something is missing.

Thanks!
Barry

Here’s the version i have

FWIW, at this point, you will probably have to delete the current Ecobee Thermostat device, and the current Ecobee (Connect) smartapp, and then start all over.

Note that this DTH is not installed directly - instead, you must first install all of the DTH and SmartApps into your IDE as described above. Then, start Ecobee (Connect) from Marketing/SmartApps/My Apps. You then sign in to your Ecobee account, and exit Ecobee (Connect). Then re-enter it from Automation/SmartApps, and then select your Thermostats, Sensors and set any preferences you wish to use. Ecobee (Connect) will create the necessary devices and begin populating them with data.

Then, go back into Ecobee (Connect) and go into the Helper SmartApps tab to create the Contacts and Switches helper. From there, you should be good to go…

@storageanarchy Your README references posting issues to Github, but it looks like you have Issues turned off on your repository.

I’m trying to install the Ecobee (Connect) smartapp, but when I “Tap for ecobee Credentials”, nothing happens. In live logging, I see the following error:

java.lang.RuntimeException: Unexpected status code 400 from global /clients/null with status text @ line 237

I’m running Ecobee (Connect) version 1.1.9. I was previously using the stock ecobee integration, but I removed all of the ecobee devices (thermostat and sensors) and uninstalled the existing Ecobee (Connect) app (or at least I attempted to - during removal I got an error, but it no longer shows up in my smartapps list).

Thanks for all of your work on this!

First thing to check: did you enable OAuth for Ecobee (Connect)?

You should also double-check in the IDE that the old instance of Ecobee (Connect) is in fact deletes, along with all of the old instances of the Device handlers (thermostat and sensors).

Do you mean make sure I did the hard-to-miss step from the instructions in bold text that says:

NOTE: This is a commonly missed set of steps, but failing to enable OAuth will generate cryptic errors later when you try to use the SmartApp. So please don’t skip these steps.

… oops, I knew it would be something obvious (though it’s doubly bad since there’s a specific note about it being commonly skipped!). Since I already “knew” how to install via Github integration, I just skimmed right over that section. Enabling OAuth allowed me to enter my credentials and complete installation.

Thanks for your help, and thanks again for all of your work on this great project - it is awesome!

Main ecobee Sensor icon shows offline?

Also why is it cooling to 85 when inside temp is already 76. Shouldn’t it be off/idle?

Any ideas @storageanarchy?

Solved:

Redid an ecobee reconnect and that fixed it.

Seemed connection dropped :confused: but good to go.

I see the same thing from time to time, caused by some mysterious loss of synchrony with the Ecobee Cloud. I don’t know if I’ll every actually catch it, but thankfully it’s simple to resolve. Just wish it didn’t require manual intervention…

Any Live Logging traces you may have when this occurs (or even better, just before) would be helpful…

TTFN!