[OBSOLETE] Super Notifier - All your alerts in one place!

It’s working!! It’s woorrrrkkking!

2 Likes

BOOM! I’m glad!

Text notifications stopped working for me about a week ago. Anyone else having this issue? Thanks

Did you opt into them? I got a notification from SmartThings that I had to opt into text messages now. If you just text “YES” in the text stream with all the messages you were getting, you should get a reply saying you’ve opted in, and they should start again hopefully.

and how do I opt in?

If your outside the us you can’t

Edit:
sorry that link did not work, just scroll to the top!

Thank you for all your work on the app. It really has simplified and improved notifications which I think is a core need for home automation.

I did have a suggestion related to the multisensors and door knock detection. Would it be possible to add the ability to select multiple doors in a single alert? I like having door knock detection on every external door as a security function. This way if someone is kicking a door I would get an alert prior to the door opening. Right now I am setting up an “instant alert” for each door which works but just looks messy seeing how I have 12 doors between a house and a barn. Having one instant alert that would notify if any external door detects a knock but does not open within X seconds would be much cleaner and easier to make changes (such as adding an notification or changing an action when a knock is detected).

Thank you

I agree that’d be really nice, but there are a lot of programming limitations precluding it. The issue is how smartapps handle scheduled executions. Once the sensor gets a vibration, the app schedules itself to check if the door is open after 5 seconds (or whatever you set). While that is pending, the app is in limbo until all scheduled executions are completed. As long as you only get one knock on one door at a time within each trigger, that’d be ok. But if you got knocks on two doors at a similar time, they’d override each other. I could change it so they didn’t, but then each knock in that 5 second period would generate the action you have programmed every time (so if I knocked and that turns on lights, takes a picture, sends a text, etc.; those actions would happen every time it felt the vibration).

The other issue is how the app settings are. It allows for different vibration and contact sensors to be used for the knock and the door being open. I’d have to make the settings page significantly more complicated to allow that with multiple knock sensors. Or I could assume that everyone uses the same sensor for both actions, but I don’t want to limit the app.

I think both issues could be overcome, but due to my work/life right now, I’m holding off on any changes to the app other than simple updates as required to keep it functional. I’m just doing this in my free time.

I like the suggestion though! It is in the same vein as why I made this app in the first place. Before this, each trigger had to be an entirely separate smart app, and you had to set all the phone numbers, etc, in each one, and it buried all the other smartapps on that tab in SmartThings. I hear you on the 12 doors needing 12 triggers though. I’ll add it to my feature update list and do some thinking to see if there is an easier way to make the changes. Now that I typed all that, I’m thinking it wouldn’t be terribly hard except for the setting page format. Do you use all the same sensor for all the doors? I’m not sure what situations would warrant different sensors, but after doing this for so many years I’ve found that I certainly can’t think of everything. Most of what is in the app came from folks like you!

wow thank you for the quick response. Yes I do use all the same sensors on the same doors. I am really doing this as a security feature and not really as an automation function but I do see your point on the challenges. Perhaps the challenges could be reduced by making this an additional type of Instant Alert. So right now there is “when someone knocks”. Maybe it would make sense to change that to “Knock - One Door” then add a new one called “Knock- Multiple Doors”.

I don’t know what the rules are about basing code off another persons code but I was digging on the forums and it does look like AstralNyt made a smart app for the “Knock - Multiple Doors” function here (Knockerz - Door Knocker Detection and Notification). The main limitation of the knockerz app is it does not have the really nice Execution Restrictions like you have in Super Notifier. This is great to have a “Storm” virtual switch that I can turn on so when it is storming out I don’t get constant notifications of knocks. Again I would just love for this to be in the Super Notifier app so all my notifications are managed from one place.

I completely understand the time constraints and appreciate you adding this to your list for future consideration.

I can add the option to only notify if a specified switch is in a specified state. Then you can use your virtual ‘Storm’ switch, specify ‘Off’.

In my own experience, I have not had false knocks register as a result of wind or storm. Typically, I get false alerts from our doorbells in those conditions. I do like the idea of a ‘Storm’ switch. I think I would tie it to a weather forecasting source so that it can be set automatically, and then it could not only disable nuisance notifications, it could also take actions, like triggering motors to lower antennae, or close deck umbrellas, etc.

Have you checked your door hinges and strike plates to make sure there is no play when the doors are closed and locked? The door jambs should also be checked for rot to make sure they are secure. If the doors are easily accelerated by wind, you are probably also losing heat around them. Adding insulation may also help stabilize the door.

Hi AstralNyt,

I get notifications from lightning, fireworks and even sometime an airplane (I am pretty close to an airport). Super Notifier has a really cool “Execution Restrictions” capability with notifications where you can specify “Only during a certain time”, “only certain days”, “Only when this switch is …?” and “Only during specific modes (s)”. All of those are very useful but the “only when this switch is …?” I have found is the most useful because you can flip a switch off all kinds of conditions.

P.S. I hope you don’t mind me posting a link here to your code which is also very useful!

1 Like

My 25yo house also backs up next to a runway and I’ve never gotten false alerts from planes or lightning. You definitely should take a closer look at the structural conditions of your doors, jambs, and associated hardware. At the very least, they are probably not as efficient as they could be. Just adding weather stripping might stop the problem all together.

In the short term, I’ll add another page for notification restrictions that will handle time of day, day(s) of week, mode(s), and switch(es) in a specified state. In the long term, it would be nice if there were a central notification management app to which I could publish notifications. Super Notifier may be that app, and I would just become a child app to it. I haven’t looked at what is most popular in the community.

1 Like

I just submitted a pull request that adds the ability to monitor a water valve and send a delayed notification on Open/Closed. Tested working OK.

I have a valve that feeds my sprinklers, sometimes I’ll close it to override the sprinkler system and left it closed for days! I only noticed it was closed when my grass started dying.

Hey that’s a cool idea. I don’t see the pull request in github though. Maybe it was to a cloned repository and not mine? If not, you can just post the changes in here or PM them to me and I can add them that way too. I imagine it’s just a couple of different blocks of code. Give me those and the line they go to and I’ll add them.

I resubmitted the request, there are 33 edits

Got it that time and published it, thanks!

Is this compatible with the new ST app?

It is, but you need to use the classic app to set it up. Once it’s set up you’re all good in either app (most of it runs in the background, with not a lot of actual interaction).

1 Like

Can we add the ability inside instant alerts, to recheck on mode change?

IE: If mode changes to away, notify if lock unlocked, garage door open, laundry running.

I’ve added the switch, subscribed in initialization, and created its own eventHandler. I’m just missing the last step…

Having trouble getting this to work after migrating to the new app this morning. It was setup in the classic app, I migrated, and deleted the classic app. It looks like everything converted over but i am not getting any notifications from this app in the new smartthings application. Any guidance?

Really need the delayed alerts for when lights are left on.