[RELEASE] Strips Drip / Strips Comfort

dth_luxsensor
dth_sensors
dth_watersensor
dth_temperature

(Kevin) #1

This is a device handler for the Strips Drip and Strips Comfort by Sensitive.

In the new mobile app the device will appear as a temperature/lux sensor, but you can make it appear as a water sensor by swapping the “//” on the lines below:

vid:"generic-motion-4"
// vid:"generic-leak"

Disclaimer: Both devices are listed as indoor/outdoor and have the ability to report Water, Light and Temperature, but they’re not water proof and can be damaged by submerging them in water. Strips Drip has a special mount that allows it to detect water without getting completely wet and the Strips Comfort doesn’t so I don’t recommend using the Strips Comfort as a Water Sensor.

(Brian Diehl) #2

Awesome.
I do like that the temp/light strip is outdoor safe. I’m considering picking these up to try since you’ve got a DTH for them.

(Kevin) #3

Just make sure it doesn’t end up sitting in a puddle or under snow or something and make sure you use the mounting plate it came with.

The water sensor actually reports the percentage of wetness so I thought people might be able to use it to monitor water in a fish tank or something.

To get it to report 100% I had to completely submerge it and after doing that a couple of times the device went dead. The manufacturer said it shouldn’t be used outside without the mounting plate and it also shouldn’t be left submerged in water.

I ended up pulling the percentage value out of the handler to prevent others from using it for that purpose and because the reported values weren’t that accurate anyways.

(Eric) #4

Are these flexible at all? I’m considering mounting it at the top of a tub to determine if water is in the tub or not.

(Kevin) #5

No, they’re not flexible at all. They’re almost identical to the Strips Contact Sensors.

They also can’t be submerged in water. (I learned that the hard way while writing the DTH)

The plastic mounting plate has 2 strips of sponge material that wicks the water to the sensor. If you had them on your basement floor or something and you’re basement flooded the sensor would float which would prevent it from getting damaged.

It’s supposedly fine to use outside as long as it’s mounted in a location where it won’t end up under water or buried in snow.

(Eric) #6

Thanks, I read what you said about not submerging them. I was going to mount them towards the top so just the bottom would get wet. Oh well. Actually… not that I am thinking about it… My tub has a sensor that it uses to determine if there is water in the tub so it can prevent the heater from running if there is no water. I’m sure I can just use that with one of my spare EcoLink contact sensors.

(Kevin) #7

The device actual determines the % of wetness so I thought the device would be perfect for mounting vertically in something like a fish tank to keep track of the depth of water. While writing the handler I had to submerge it to get it to report 100% and after doing that a couple of times the device stopped working.

The manufacturer said they’re not meant to be submerged and that’s most likely what killed it so I removed the percentage reporting from the handler to prevent others from thinking the same thing.

The Smartest House has the old model of the Fibaro Water sensor for $30 and the Everspring Water for $20 right now. The Everspring uses an external sensor you could mount in the hot tub and the Fibaro has terminals that allow you to attach wires to dangle into the tub. The Fibaro also has terminals for 12V DC.