[RELEASE] ActionTiles, the homepage for your SmartThings home!

Android on the Wink Relay, version 4.3 I believe. It also works from my Nougat tablet. Both are running in Chrome. I haven’t seen that issue you are referring to about unsafe.

Well and since this is your (ActionTiles) thread I’d say you have every right to do so. But yes, please be nice everyone.

4 Likes

@tgauchat and @625alex - I have been keeping to myself, but I’d like to high jack your thread for a second; if I may.

1. Thank you for helping make Smartthings a viable asset for the safety and wellbeing of me and my family.

2. I happen to agree with many here who feel that you and your product are not perfect. I will be sure to let you know when the authorities have deemed you fitting of the title: Deity

3. Most importantly, thank you for taking the risk of going for profit with this project and creating a stable platform. Kudos, Respect, and much love, eh!

5 Likes

@625alex

I have a few questions on ActionTiles:

• Is there as much freedom for edits like SmartTiles with the CSS scripts?
  • Will SmartTiles continue to function? I currently use it and it works great, just wondering if it will come to an end.
  • How do you connect your Hub to the Action Tiles app? I setup my account but how do I import the Things?
  • Does this work with Fully Browser Kiosk?
  • Hi Dan; please be sure to visit our own ActionTiles Knowledge Base, FAQ Support & Ideas Forum where some of these questions are answered and discussed, and you can join the … questioning and answering! http://support.actiontiles.com

• ActionTiles comes with a 14-day Trial (extensible upon friendly request) so that you can see for yourself if it is a good fit, explore its scope, features, etc., and test any specific features and compatibility that is important to you! Please dive right in! :sweat_drops: https://app.ActionTiles.com

.1. Is there as much freedom for edits like SmartTiles with the CSS scripts?
Customizing CSS is currently not available in ActionTiles; though we acknowledge “more ability to customize” is a valued feature for many customers: Can I edit / customize the icons, colors, fonts, sizes, … / ActionTiles Knowledge Base / AT Support & Ideas

.2. Will SmartTiles continue to function?
SmartTiles will be deprecated at some undetermined point in the future. With sincere recognition of the importance of SmartTiles the genesis of ActionTiles and recognition of certain features of SmartTiles that are not in ActionTiles; we must still honestly and transparently say: “Please expect SmartTiles to be withdrawn from service sooner than you wish it would”.

.3. I currently use it (SmartTiles) and it works great, just wondering if it will come to an end.
Thank-you very much! And, yes … it will “come to an end” to ensure we can put maximum focus on making ActionTiles the best product possible!

.4. How do you connect your Hub to the Action Tiles app? I setup my account but how do I import the Things?
Please read the “Cue Cards” inside the ActionTiles app. Don’t hesitate to write Support@ActionTiles.com if you get stuck, but we super appreciate you taking a bit of extra time to “explore” inside the app, as we find that nearly everyone who has tried the app finds the prompts sufficient … as long as they (a) read and (b) aren’t shy about just tapping stuff to see what it does! :smile:

.5. Does this work with Fully Browser Kiosk?
Yes … but; it may not work if you are running Fully on a pre-Android v4.4.6 device: What browsers are compatible? / ActionTiles Knowledge Base / AT Support & Ideas

Thanks for the reply.

Am I the only one bummed out by this? lol
My dashboard looks awesome due to the custom CSS and icons.

I read the “How is ActionTiles better than SmartTiles” and it’s crazy we we need to give up SmartTiles for these reasons:
For #1, using app vs browser - no big deal. Changes should be rare after setup.
.#2 my Fully Browser Kiosk updated the tiles within 1-2 seconds. Not sure what the mentioned 30 second delay is about.
.#3 - I only need 1 dashboard… If someone needed more, 5 seems like plenty.
.#4 - My Fully never logged me out - not sure what this is about. My Fully has been logged in as long as I can remember.
.#5 - More secure? Great.
.#6 - Battery levels are useless on my ST sensors. Completely inaccurate. Dimmers? eh.
.#7 - Make virtual switches to run Routines - problem solved.
.#8 - I’ve never had a problem with SmartTiles. Never experienced a bug related directed to SmartTiles.

But now it costs money and we lose the complete customization of the dashboard??
I don’t mean to be “that guy” and the whole back-end setup looks nice and pretty but realistically - I setup my dashboard over a year ago and rarely make changes. Seems crazy to have to go this far backwards with the customization, at a cost for money too.
I would easily pay $100 just to keep SmartTiles due to the custom CSS - which I’ve spent a lot of time customizing over the months.

Also, I still can’t find where you connect SmartThings to ActionTiles. All the prompts seem to assume I already figured this out and ready to make a dashboard.
I checked http://support.actiontiles.com/ and would think it’s under “Getting Started” or “Configuration & Settings”
But it only assumes I already linked my Hub and Things:

See if this helps. Go to My Locations on the left hand side. Then click the “+” sign at the bottom right, then Continue.

1 Like

Oh - there we go, I found how to add a location now - thank you.

So I need to go from this (cams only work when local):

to this…

That’s so depressing.
Also, how do we resize specific tiles in ActionTiles? So if I want my virtal switch to be 2x1 instead of 1x1?
Or is there absolutely no customization at all?

Well you certainly put a lot of work into customizing SmartTiles. Unfortunately, the same does not hold true for ActionTiles at the moment. You might want to take a look at some example panels that others have put together for ActionTiles - Show me your Panels!. It doesn’t have to be so drab.

While you are at the ActionTiles forum, browse some of the other topics that deal with customization and vote for the ones you wish to see. The more votes, the better chance it will get implemented.

Under Panel Builder > Tile Options > Tile Settings you can resize some tiles and change icons for some tiles.

1 Like

Yeah I saw that but it changes all the tiles, not a specific tile.

No, that’s Panel Settings. You need to go to Tile Options (3 vertical dots) for the tile you want to change.

Then select Tile Settings.

Not all Tiles are adjustable, depends on what type of Tile it is.

1 Like

Yeah I see that - you can do that for individual switches and contacts though.

I have a question:
How do I go about transitioning from ST to AT? Can I import my current ST configurations or am I starting from scratch with AT?

Thanks,

• Rick

I’ve read the info on panel sharing, but want to clarify the proceedure.
I want to give our neighbor a simple panel that allows her to turn the alarm on/off. (Keypads kinda scare her).

So she creates an account on Actiontiles, free I assume.
I create the panel, then share it with her account.
Then she gets a link to the panel? Or how does that happen?

1 Like

Hi Jim,

You have pretty much got it right…! …

• The Shared Panel will instantly automatically show up in her Account / My Panels page. No email is sent out and no link is needed.

• If you want to make it convenient for your Buddy, you can additionally email or text her the URL for the Panel by just copying it from your URL bar. We might add a “copy” button to the My Panels List to make this step a tiny bit easier.

1. ActionTiles is an entirely new product with a vastly different database for configuration information … and everything else such as rendering and login, etc., are all brand new. (This is the a big part of the reason that Custom CSS is not available in ActionTiles – SmartTiles’s CSS is also entirely incompatible.) The completely new design and architecture has a lot of performance and usability benefits; though not entirely without a few inevitable drawbacks too.

2. SmartTiles was never designed with “configuration export” in mind – we never predicted the genesis of ActionTiles. This isn’t a function built-into the abilities of “SmartApps”. As you know, currently SmartThings customers can’t export / import / migrate their Devices & SmartApps from one Hub to another.

So, unfortunately, there is no way to migrate SmartTiles configurations to ActionTiles.

1 Like

That’s a great looking SmartTiles dashboard, Dan! – You’ll get no disagreement from us that many folks like dashboards with rich colors, icons, and other customization options.

As such, we are incrementally improving the ability to customize ActionTiles’s Panels. We don’t have an specific timeline and don’t publish ETAs for features, so as not to make promises we might not be able to keep (under-promise means we can over-deliver!).

We hope that ActionTiles will meet most of the needs of most SmartTiles users before SmartTiles will be shutdown. But since ActionTiles will never be exactly the same as SmartTiles, we acknowledge that the many enhancements in AT don’t make up for some favorite features that some ST fans will mourn.

This is the inherent nature of software evolution: I miss the “tiled” layout of the SmartThings v1 App. Only Windows Phone users still have those big Thing tiles – but the Windows Phone app barely works anymore (lots of SmartThings Cloud, DTH, and SmartApp incompatibilities) and it isn’t going to get any more updates.

To clarify your last statement, if I sent her the url, she would still have to have her own account?

Get Outlook for Androidhttps://aka.ms/ghei36

1 Like

Yup!

The URL is a unique pointer to the Panel you are sharing, but doesn’t contain any authentication or access-validation credentials. Those are considered rather insecure to share in plain text in a URL.

Therefore, your Buddy needs to have her own ActionTiles Account with a nice personal and secure password, and you explicitly use ActionTiles “Share Panel” function to permit (and revoke) permission on the Panel.

1 Like

We are in that time of year where we turn our HVAC between heat-A/C-off modes frequently. Is there any way to switch HVAC modes with ActionTiles yet?