[RELEASE] ActionTiles, the homepage for your SmartThings home!

Yes… If you are running a SmartThings Device Type handler that supports Capability “Power Meter” or “Energy Meter” … and the DTH must also claim Capability "Sensor"

Another odd tile icon problem, a small one. Using a fairly new 7" Fire with Chrome. The spotlight & horizontal window tile show as a question mark. I changed both to the basic tile icon, they appeared and worked as expected.

A question mark is shown when the tile value could not be determined. This could happen for a number of reasons.

The first thing to try is to reinitialize the event feed by visiting the SmartApp in ST mobile App and tapping “Done”.

Please contact support@actiontiles.com for additional help.

I was at Best Buy the other day looking at Tablets and had several of these viewing my panels side by side for resolution and how it rendered all of my tiles. I noticed the same ? issue when viewing from the Kindle. Because I did not see this issue having it open on my Android, an iPad, and an LG 10inch all at the same time, I am going to say that reinitializing would have nothing to do with the issue I experienced. I didn’t do a drill down to which specific icons this was happening on, and like you I have overridden some of my tiles with a different icon selection.

3 Likes

I would agree. My example, I had the “spotlight” icon for my back porch light and it showed a question mark for the icon. I tapped it and it turned on & off as usual. Changed it 30 seconds later to the light bulb icon & that showed and worked too.

I’ve experienced those “?” marks showing up in my ActionTiles in the last month because of some dead batteries on devices. This just appears to be some weird icon issue.

Edit: that back porch light I mentioned is on a GE switch. Some of my Hue bulbs show the question mark on occasion and I realize that’s a different issue.

I haven’t experienced any of the issues with the ? on my Android phone “z Force Droid” running 7.0 (Nougat) and Chrome.

I have a GE Outdoor Smart Plug (z wave) and I am using the default ‘Switch’ icon and that works fine. I don’t have any low or dead batteries with any of my devices so I don’t know if that comes into play.

Haven’t had any issues with any of my Hue devices (A19 3rd gen, Hue Go, Strip lights, and using BR30 from LIFX because Hue’s BR30 color rendering isn’t 16mil - They suck!) and I have changed from the default ‘Switch’ icon to ‘Light Bulb’, ‘Spotlight’ and ‘LED’ and haven’t had an issue with ? on those either.

Just know that I’m not purchasing the Kindle lol :slight_smile:

Mine only cost me $30 on some deal. My 3 year old grandkid is gonna get it to play games on soon.

Even Best Buy’s version of the 32GB 10 Inch Android Tablet “Insignia” for $99 didn’t have any of the issues that the Kindle had. Cheaper the better, if all you want is wall mounted dashboards all around the house for AT use only.

1 Like

Downside to something cheap like the Insignia is that it doesn’t have any of the additional sensors for detecting presence to wake up when you walk up or wave in front of it. So those are things I take into consideration on top of how it displays my AT Panels and all the issues surrounding Media Tiles and being able to have those functioning without all the other issues that people have been reporting lately about how they stop refreshing and such…

Another reason for the question mark to appear is when a device is in unexpected state. Some bulbs have “turning on” state. Is it possible that the bulb is unreachable by ST and the indeterminate state is stack?

Alex, explain this then using my example while at Best Buy and having all the devices side by side at the same time. Nothing wrong with the state of any of my devices and displaying correctly on 2 of 3 tablets and my Android phone at same time.

I don’t have an explanation, maybe some theories.

Was the question mark that you saw somewhat different style than the other icons? Were you using different browsers (Silk vs Chrome)?

When I noticed those question marks on my Fire this morning (spotlight & window icon), my iMac, iPad an Android tablet showed my chosen icon and functioned correctly. I checked them about 2 minutes after the Fire issue & 30 minutes later the Fire still showed the ? marks.

Again, this is not a big issue for me, I’m gonna give that cheap Fire to my grandkid. I’m not a fan of them anyway.

Please contact support@actiontiles.com

It is important for us to identify the issue and correct it, so that you could continue enjoying the software.

Thank you!

Honestly, I wasn’t there for troubleshooting purposes. I was looking for a tablet that had the best resolution, no issues with rendering my tiles, bang for the buck if I purchase multiple for wall mounting throughout the house, sensors included, and checking for what Media Tiles would work and refresh as a tile which is a HUGE thing for everyone and where a lot of complaints are being reported on for streaming capabilities, etc. When I came across the Kindle, and saw the ? I didn’t make a big deal out of it and checked that off the list. If I remember correctly it wasn’t Chrome on that particular tablet. Whatever was there OOTB. Dont get me wrong, I love what AT does for me today, but it just seems there is so much browser incompatibility for basic functions and displayable items that is so inconsistent. Personal opinion was that when this went live, the trial (let’s call it beta) period should have been extended for a much longer period of time before charging folks to figure out more of these types of issues and differences between OS’s and Browsers. I don’t mind that I paid $ for AT for what it can do right now if you figure out a machine that everything works on, but I really hope that you guys DO NOT attempt to extract more $ for the product that I have seen hinted at in other posts or disclaimers in the past. Maybe you guys can walk into a Best Buy and be able to work with every type of device that is supposed to work with AT and test ALL the functionality so you know personally what works and doesn’t and know what needs to be addressed and/or fixed. Maybe they will let you bring in lawn chairs and setup like it’s your lab :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wish it were that easy or we could pay someone to skulk around there :snake:!

Google (and a couple other vendors… Samsung, too) actually offer “virtual labs” of hundreds of devices that can be spun up for testing over the internet. They really are only designed for testing Apps, and even then the combinations still don’t cover “every type of device”. We’re keeping these services in mind for the future though.

Just like SmartThings, we cannot guarantee compatibility nor minimum availability or complete lack of glitches or unresolved limitations or bugs. Please see our Terms of Service. Software is just too complicated to be perfect, even from huge vendors. So far none of our batteries have exploded - we’re proud of that. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

ActionTiles runs a continuous separate Beta environment (with an incredible set of Beta testers!) to quite successfully shakeout most issues before we roll to Production. The licensed production app is not our “Beta” environment.

Thanks for your testing observations, WB! … maybe you’ve encountered something that will we be able to confirm and fix through our Continuous Improvement Cycle. We really appreciate observations like this, even if it feels like we’ve outsourced some of our testing to our own customers. But as we are all members of the SmartThings Community you can be certain that we emphathize with the sentiment …, right?

And … thanks for the overall feedback regarding Trial period and such…

The default trial period for Apps in the Google Play Store is 15 minutes. For hardware like a SmartThings Hub, I guess you get 30 days to return it, but that takes some extra trouble to pack it up and ship. For now, we’re sticking with 14 days.

However… We have recently added this KB/FAQ entry:

1 Like

You’re very good at thanking us for our observations and feedback, and you were clearly under a LOT of pressure to release AT as quick as possible, but it wasn’t ready in my opinion. I think all of your “incredible” beta testers should be sacked immediately. Why are people using AT, how do they use it? I don’t think the majority are using it on expensive desktops and just sitting there and looking at it in their browser, I also don’t think people are paying 500 bucks for the latest quad hd tablet with nougat or marshmallow and mounting it. Most people are buying cheap tablets, finding old tablets/phones to run it on, with Fully. You tested it with a Fire Tablet, but you don’t think it was an over sight to load a custom Rom onto a Fire Tablet and test that like you said you didn’t do? And what was in your first AT update? I bought a 150 buck Samsung tablet for AT at launch, and it didn’t work with Fully, a week later you did something to the backend, then it worked. But not before you told me it was Fully’s fault and I should contact the owner. When you test something, I would of thought you tested from the bottom up, not the top down. It’s like the Beatles would play their songs through crappy speakers first, and if it sounded good, they knew they were onto something. Your beta testers are NOT “incredible”.

2 Likes

I really do appreciate your feedback, so here’s a chance for you to win a $25 Amazon Gift Card :credit_card:, but only if you have the correct answer: (This contest is just open to @Alwas, but assistance from the audience is permitted). This offer void where prohibited by law and expires May 1st, 2017.

For the prize: Name the company that launched - to retail - a smart home product in mid-2013 (after having received over $4 million in funding / investments), with a completely bug free iOS App?

Bonus question for a second $25 Amazon Gift Card: On what day was this company’s Android App released 100% bug free? Extra Bonus (but no extra prize): What was the company’s funding level at that time?

Hint: The answer is not the company that released it’s first Android App Beta in January 2015 (over a year after their platform was retailed). They had received $15 million in funding at that time.

Other Hint: There is no correct answer to this quiz. Sorry.

###In short - Software is hard
We are small company, but tremendously enjoying the challenge, opportunity, and success of bringing a useful supplemental UI to SmartThings customers. We’re proud of what we’ve built over 2 years and eternally grateful to our Beta participants for their irreplaceable contributions. Now we are stoked by ActionTiles’s popularity! We look forward to offering our customers “continuous improvement”: Customer questions, discussions, bug reports and ideas are welcome on our feedback forum at https://www.ActionTiles.com/feedback

4 Likes

Your diversionary tactics are quite astounding and utterly relentless, if you’re not careful before long you could be asked to take to the podium and replace a certain Mr Spicer. But I think the mental anguish and psychological trauma you guys put me through, for spending 150 bucks on a tablet and thinking it would never work with the AT web app, which is still clearly affecting me, those are 7 days I’ll never get back, I think even a bunch of flowers from your beta testers to say sorry would be a nice gesture.

1 Like

It would indeed be a beautiful gesture… everyone enjoys flowers :bouquet:!

All I can offer is sincere apologies to you for the inconvenience … and an assurance that, despite our best efforts and diligent cycling of new releases through QA and Beta phases, a few too many ActionTiles customers will be inconvenienced from time to time for countless possible reasons.

I really wish I could promise otherwise; but, indeed, that would make me qualified for political office, rather than software operations, product management, and customer relations.

I’ll be sure to reimburse any of our Beta Program Participants if they wish (no obligation) to send you a consolatory gift (just drop me a note, guys or gals…; thanks!).

6 Likes