[RELEASE] ActionTiles, the homepage for your SmartThings home!

Try local TV stations with Doppler radar animated GIFs… like this one http://cbs6albany.com/resources/ftptransfer/wrgb/maps/web_local_radar_loop_790.gif?rand=0.9450771092676513

@tgauchat,

I have one of my door sensors that has gone offline (imagine that…) 6 days ago. In looking at my tile status, it shows to be closed and is reporting temp and battery. I assume it was the last status. I confirmed in ST that it is offline. Is there no way for it to show an unknown or offline status?

SmartThings doesn’t notify ActionTiles when a device goes “offline” … and, unless things have changed recently, I didn’t think the SmartThings App depicted "offline devices either.

What does ST show? Do you have a screen shot, please?

1 Like

I think that’s from the new “Health Check” feature in SmartThings… That’s great!

Frankly, SmartThings hasn’t published any information on this in advance (unless we weren’t paying attention! :see_no_evil:…).

Once they do, or we figure it out (and if the API is open to 3rd party developers…) then we’d love to add this to ActionTiles.

2 Likes

They did post something ‘about’ it here on the forum somewhat recently, but perhaps nothing helpful to you/coders.

1 Like

There are around 60 Device Type Handlers in the SmartThings Community Public GitHub repo referring to **capability "Health Check"** and yet… not a single reference in the official Developer Documentation :confounded:. @jim?

Documentation always runs behind implementation, I suppose. :crying_cat_face:.

The reality is, that for ActionTiles to implement any functionality around this, we have to design and submit a new SmartApp – first to our Beta environment, soak test it, and then repeat for Production. Each of those SmartApp reviews, as y’all know, has a non-trivial turnaround time. Patience is important. :angel:.

1 Like

can’t you call it a hotfix? :sunglasses:

No.

We can’t abuse any expedited process that we may be graciously granted from time to time for genuine emergencies.

sorry, that was tongue in cheek there.

1 Like

I am trying to get a nestcam feed to work. Its made public and i have the address. But its not working. It shows up with a blue question mark.

Trying on Safari and Safari on iOS.

I have never been able to get my Dropcam/Nest Cams to show up either in ActionTiles or SmartTiles. Same issue as you. I’ve tried Safari and Chrome.

I understand the frustration. It is being worked on presently. However, in the meantime, feel free to ask me questions about this. While I’m not personally writing this documentation, I know just enough about it to (possibly) be helpful.

1 Like

So to set up an account for sharing, do they have to request to be on the mailing list and get an invite to create an account? Or is there some way that I can add them myself?

Your invitation email already includes a second Invitation Code for at least one sharing Buddy Account.

Please register more emails on the list if you need more.

Some questions for you @tgauchat

1. Is there a location on the ActionTiles website (or this forum) that lists/shows the difference between smarttiles and actions tiles?

2. When smarttiles is EOL, will it still work? (just no longer get support/updates)

3. Or we will be forced to migrate to actiontiles?

4. How long will the introductory price last? And what will it go to afterwards?

1. http://support.actiontiles.com/topics/916-how-is-actiontiles-better-than-smarttiles/

2. Not determined. It will not be kept operational forever… you should expect it to shutdown sooner rather than later.

3. You’re not “forced” to migrate to ActionTiles. ActionTiles is a new product. SmartTiles is being discontinued. There is no configuration migration (they are incompatible) between SmartTiles and ActionTiles.

4. Not determined.

thank you for the quick response.
I’m going to keep tabs on the project, I saw the comment about CSS not currently available… thats minor in terms of functionality, but it does make the app “POP” when you can customize colors and device representation.

Also hoping there is more to come on updates for the Introductory Offer, similar to how Plex did for the PlexPass. They posted what it would cost before and after and by what date, which seemed to push a few more people to jump on sooner rather than later.

Is it per design that every time I try to look at my panel on the “app” I have added to the home screen on my iPhone, I have to go through the hassle of logging in to my Action Tiles account while on the browser I don’t have to do so?
Is there a way to avoid it? My phone is already protected and I don’t want to have to insert my credentials every time.

No. That is absolutely not the design.

1. Be sure that you pin to home screen only the actual Panel URL (i.e., the page of the panel you are viewing), … looks like: https://app.actiontiles.com/panel/8b9208ea-a1cd-4086-xxxx-6bd2a7205f22

2. Be sure you allow cookies and are not invoking some sort of “incognito” or “private browsing” mode.