[DEPRECATED] ST_Anything - Arduino/ESP8266/ESP32

Completely agree! :slight_smile: No offense intended.

I was trying to say that my documentation was written with the assumption that users are already familiar with Arduino programming concepts. There are a ton of web sites that explain Arduino programming, so I was not going to even try to explain those details in my ReadMe file.

None taken, I fought my first Sonoff for weeks before I realized the board had been updated, then fought with the new firmware only to find a bad solder joint in a header. Itā€™s all learning.

Please forgive what may be a series of obvious mistakes, but iā€™m just getting going in this arena. Iā€™ve loaded ST_Anything_Multiples_ESP8266WiFi.ino onto my Node MCU 1.0, sucessfully. I only edited the IP information, including DNS, and WiFi. The Node shows up in my network, and iā€™ve reserved itā€™s address. All addresses in my network are reserved. The node shows up in my ST App where I have input its IP, MAC, Port, and buttons. Now, I didnā€™t make any code changes to the INO file, so my buttons could be off. In the app the Node wonā€™t configure (I assume no child DH are populated). In the IDE, the node shows up, and in the DH section, all the parent and child DH are showing published (although the master may not have been published when I added the node, canā€™t remember). Said all that to say, what is my trouble shooting from this point. I have no real goal with this device other than discover the capabilities of the platform and to learn right now. Thanks in advance.

You mentioned no code changes, except for the Networking section, correct? Did you configure the ST Hubā€™s IP Address that youā€™ve assigned in your Routerā€™s DHCP reservation section? You left the ST Hub port as 39500, correct?

What is showing in your live logs?

Did you remember to assign the manually created parent device to your ST Hub in the ST Web IDE?

I know I sound like a broken recordā€¦ all of this is detailed in the ReadMe.

The only thing that could be an issue is that some users have reported some issues using ESP8266 based microcontrollers recently. One user found a solution in their case, which is detailed in the following post. If this solves things for you, please report back so I can make this change permanent in GitHub.

Hey guys I got ST_Anything working with those really cheap soil moisture sensors as a water sensor. I used the D0 pin on the sensor rather than the analog and had to flip the attribute in the Device handler. So in the device handler when it reads ā€œdryā€ it reports Wet. These are the sensors Iā€™m referring to, if you want some DHT11s also theyā€™re a pretty good deal when it comes to amazon.

1 Like

I would steer clear of that type of sensor, because they tend to corrode within a few weeks of use, I would use one of these Capacitive Soil Sensors instead. No idea how it would integrate with a dth though.

2 Likes

Looks like it simply has an Analog Outputā€¦ You could easily use the ST_Anything PS_Water device, if you only care about ā€œDryā€ versus ā€œWetā€. If you want the analog signal, you could just use the ST_Anything PS_Voltage device. Lots of optionsā€¦

2 Likes

Did not alter code. Edited network ip, Subnet, gateway, dns and specified router ip. Did not change Hub Port. Live logs are not showing anything for this device currently, but it did show the IP of the device last night.

Did you remember to assign the manually created parent device to your ST Hub in the ST Web IDE? You are referring to the next to last box - HUB.? Yes I did.

Its not a big deal Iā€™m using them as cheap leak sensors. They have an analog but I could not get it working for some reason so I just stuck with the digital out which is fine because now I still have that 1 analog pin available.

1 Like

c1f321ff-ec72-473d-9cce-50a4b3a43ea3 4:02:49 PM: debug Using ip: 192.168.1.100 and port: 8090 for device: c1f321ff-ec72-473d-9cce-50a4b3a43ea3

c1f321ff-ec72-473d-9cce-50a4b3a43ea3 4:02:49 PM: debug Executing ā€˜sendEthernetā€™ refresh

c1f321ff-ec72-473d-9cce-50a4b3a43ea3 4:02:49 PM: debug Executing ā€˜refresh()ā€™

c1f321ff-ec72-473d-9cce-50a4b3a43ea3 4:02:49 PM: debug Executing ā€˜updateDeviceNetworkIDā€™

c1f321ff-ec72-473d-9cce-50a4b3a43ea3 4:02:49 PM: debug Executing ā€˜configure()ā€™

c1f321ff-ec72-473d-9cce-50a4b3a43ea3 4:02:49 PM: debug Executing ā€˜configure()ā€™

this is after removing and re-adding just a few minutes ago

Did you also assign it your Location in the ST Web IDE?

Are you 100% sure the MAC address is correct for the NodeMCU ESP8266 youā€™re using? (When you type it into the Parent Deviceā€™s Settings in the ST Mobile App?)

Did you put the MAC in with dashes? If so remove them.

1 Like

Location and hub are both specified in IDE. Unless this is a separate step, yes i did. I took the MAC from the Arduino screen after programming. I canā€™t check that until later this evening, but if itā€™s in error I can fix that.

No dashes or colins, just straight text

I found that you can edit the preferences from IDE and put the info in on there its been working for me 100% of the time. Thereā€™s a weird glitch where you can still add the device when you search but it doesnā€™t add anything because its already in the list. Sorry if Iā€™m explaining that poorly

Yes, I do the same as well, but the ReadMe instructions are written for using the ST Classic Appā€¦ So I try to be consistent. :slight_smile:

@ogiewon was a bad board along with a section of code Hub IP address was commented out, I didnā€™t catch that. New board flashed and all is up and running. Thanks

1 Like

@Synthesis - Hi i was reading your post concerning the car remote, while searching for a momentary relay control. So Iā€™m actually looking to do the same thing, but I was actually going to take another remote, connect my relay outputs to that to control the functions, and leave the remote and ESP at home. My main goal is to add remote car start to my morning routine for cold and hot days. Iā€™m curious how your project worked out?

Crazy coincidence I just ran into this exact issue last night. I had a board that just would not add to ST, Iā€™m glad you mentioned bad board cause as soon as I swapped it out it added right away and created all the child devices

1 Like

@thrasher204 Iā€™ve bought mine from Ali. This one programmed once and never again, and had a heck of a time getting the first program on it. I keep spares around for that reason and when I get an idea.