[OBSOLETE] Sonoff, Sonoff TH, S20, Dual, 4CH, POW, & Touch Device Handler & SmartApp ($5 & $10 Smart Switches)

Ok thanks,

It’s odd I would have expected it to work, but i have to almost strike the cables together like a match to get them to register on and off. I have built some circuits with pull up resistor etc for some basics so might hook one of those up and see!

UPDATE: Just tried my boards that work fine with my basics upstairs but still no luck. :frowning:

Do you have a picture? I’m willing to buy a basic if the relay works :slight_smile:

Thank you!

I just wired across the two sides of the existing button into a retractive switch. No other modifications.
Here’s a quick video demo. It’s now installed and functioning OK. 70% of the time the switch works, but it definitely feels like there’s a knack to it.

Perfect. Thank you! Guess I’ll be ordering a basic unit :slight_smile:

Hi @jymbob,

Can you show us the pictorial of the soldering you did to the SONO switch? A video of the process would be appreciated too.

I didn’t take any pics, but

…then ran the wires out of the ‘Output’ end because there was space.

I am genuinely terrible at soldering, so if it had required any skill or finesse I wouldn’t have managed it!

2 Likes

Just so you know you can just do that from the GPIO next to gnd - just pick the settings on the web page setup of the basic for toggle, momentary etc, that’s how all my switches work with light switches, no extra soldering required on the basics :slight_smile: - but that option is not available on the 4ch :frowning:20

3 Likes

@erocm1231 Thank you for all your work on this!

EDIT: I figured it out! Somehow the .bin i downloaded was corrupt. It was only 74KB. Once I downloaded the file from GitHub and flashed it everything works now. :smiley:

I am curious about your firmware. I could not get an access point to active after I flashed it. However, I was successful in flashing the ESPEasy_R120_1024 with multiple methods and was also able to flash the Sonoff-Tasmota firmware, with multiple methods, and was able to create an access point with both firmwares. I tried to update OTA with your firmware but to no avail. Any idea whats going on here?

Didn’t work for me - reflashed a couple of times with the AM2301 in the Sonoff - still nan.

i got me a DS18B20, so I tried that - works perfectly. I’ve tried multiple AM2301’s they all behave the same. n Once in a blue moon, I get a reading, most of the time it’s nan.

What do the circled points do? I noticed when i opened mine that they are not soldered as in your photo but have open holes - like the one on the left…

Yeah, I think I was vaguely aware of that, thanks for the detail.
I’d still have to populate the headers though - I’ve managed to flash everything OTA so far. Flashed with SonOTA then used the ‘update firmware’ on that to flash to this.

I assume therefore that using this GPIO doesn’t change the state of the relay itself? If that’s the case it might be worth getting it back out of the wall for a second attempt, as that should save a reasonable chunk of energy.

I believe some of them are wired to the ESP chip, but I’m no expert. That pic isn’t my device, because mine’s currently in a wall.

If you want to get more into what these are capable of I’d recommend starting here (because he’s using some of those pins) and taking a short trip around the various hackers out there playing with these devices.

1 Like

Yep but its worth it for the ability to decide what kind of switch it is - for me it would never have worked properly otherwise as I would have to switch the light switch on and off each time to toggle a response.
+ It works every time without an issue unlike the 4ch soldering (and it’s not my soldering as I teach it most days so its not to bad :wink: )!

1 Like

Bought 4 basic. I was able to flash Tasmota on one, broke the switch on 2 trying to flash. Will keep trying on the 4th one till I break the switch on that one too. I keep getting espcomm_sync failed, espcomm_open failed and so on. I suspect the pins are somehow not connecting properly when inserted. I think I have tried over 200 hundred times on all 4, got lucky once. My next plan is trying to find someone who can solder some pin headers for me, maybe that will help.

Now that I have one flashed, is it possible to set a static IP ? I did try once and failed, sonoff went to la la land and had to go back to 192.168.4.1. to reset SSID/Password. IP assigned in 192.168.1.40, I want to set it to 192.168.1.247

I tried something like http://192.168.1.40/cm?cmnd=IPAddress12.168.1.247;cmnd=restart 1

Any help would be really appreciated !!

Just reserve the IP address on your routers config page for the Sonoff.

1 Like

Hey everyone, I posted something similar in my RGBW controller thread, but my life has been crazy the last several months and I have been going in a different direction with other projects. I can’t keep up with this project and have posted the code on my github. I modified a couple of the libraries it uses, but I can’t remember how. It should be easy to figure out for anyone familiar with Arduino. I also didn’t have time to clean it up or leave comments, so please excuse the messiness of it. :wink:

9 Likes

I want to thank you for your time in creating this in the first place. I got some sonoff devices ages ago when i first started tinkering with home automation with hass. Much like you now, i got distracted with other projects (cough, wife wanting DIY done…cough).

I got a ST hub a few months ago to have another play since i had some free time and only got around to using your DH etc last week. I have to say, it’s brilliant!

I dont care how messy the code is, it works, that’s the main thing.

Thanks very much for releasing the code so the community can carry on with such a great contribution.

Kudos

4 Likes

Hey there, I’ve been sat on my SonOffs for a while now with the firmware from the first post.

Finally got round to wiring my first one into my surround sound sub (want to be able to turn the sub on and off when the media center comes on and off etc.)

Got it added, discovered fine etc.

Only issue I’m having is the sonoff is always showing as On in the smartthings app. even when I hit off it says “Turningoff” then goes back to on although it does actually turn the sub off and on the status just always shows as on.

Any advice on this one would be greatly appreciated.

If you are in the EU it could be related to the current issues smartthings are having

http://status.smartthings.com

Thinking you might be right there Humbug.

If I connect to the sonoff by IP the status for on and off is returned correctly. Gone though the groovy device handlers code and it’s all looking right to me. Guess it’s the up n down EU issues. Damn Brexit! Haha.