[OBSOLETE] Sonoff, Sonoff TH, S20, Dual, 4CH, POW, & Touch Device Handler & SmartApp ($5 & $10 Smart Switches)

Why not just buy a zigbee or z-wave plug in socket? Attach to your ST Hub and then Alexa can control it as well as ST.

Very good question!!
I already have a number of smart plugs, which are deployed around the home. Great devices.

The issue is that above my rear bow window, I have a set of three small lights attached to a touch dimmer… and the power for them is installed in the space above that window. It is only accessible via the holes for the puck-like light discs themselves.

No smart socket fits in that hole.
Aesthetics of the install demand I not make more access points, and if I try to modify any of the existing holes the light would fall out of it.

Therefore, the only option for smart control is an inline device like that described in this thread.

And given that (due to the existence of the touch dimmer) the smart switch would only ever turn the light OFF, spending five bucks seems about right for the use case.

Thanks for the explanation So, if you’re going to embed something in the walls, please be sure to comply with all local electrical code requirements. Aeon Labs makes smart switches designed to be embedded into electrical boxes.

While not $5, they are probably a much safer solution and they do not require any hacking. There are probably others as well.

Thanks for all the great information in this thread!
I have 4 Sonoff wifi switches flashed, and installed.
Controlled from ST by themselves, and controlled from their web interfaces they are working great.
But when I add 3 or more to a routine, or scene in ST and try and turn them all on, or off at the same time about every 2nd or 3rd time running it there will be a sonoff that will get the command sent according to the logs but doesn’t do anything with the on() or off() command.
Has anyone noticed anything similar or is it something in my setup?

i Personally bought the SH to put in the wall and control home lights.

Tha fibaro 222 or 223 cost about 60 usd and can control 2 lights, with 10 usd you can control 2 lights also buing 2 sonoff.

Just waiting the electrician to install it in the wall

Hi, I’ve just received a Sonoff Touch, UK version with 2 touch switches. I’ve enclosed 2 photos of the board, can you help me flash it with your firmware? I’m not sure which set of pins to use, or how to get it into programming mode as it looks different to the one in your photo? Could the S1 switch be the GPIO0?

It is a bit difficult to tell from this picture, but you may be able to probe out the pins to try to figure out where they go (here is a pinout of the esp8266 if you didn’t already have it https://iotbytes.wordpress.com/esp8266-pinouts/).
From the picture it looks like the Rx/Tx pins for programming go through vias to the top of the board, but I can’t see them on the top (I think they are under the touchpad). It is also very difficult to see from that picture where GPIO0 is connected, I can see the trace until it runs into the refdes for C25 and then it is really hard to tell. If I had to take a guess I would guess similar pinout to the Sonoff I am using though (looking at the pictures, it seems likely also), which is J3-1 is Vcc, J3-2 is Rx, J3-3 is Tx and J3-4 is GND. Powering it on and measuring J3-1 and J3-4 would probably be the safe thing to do before trying to power them. Sorry I couldn’t be any real help, a clearer picture of the quarter of the board around the esp8266 may be able to shed some more light on this as well. Good luck.

You can program the SV with the Sonoff S20 firware and it works fine.

Awesome. I actually ordered an assortment of the various sonoff devices available from bangood the other day…so in 1 to 20 weeks I should be able to start playing with them!

I still suspect I’ll have to cut the traces on the board in order to do an “in and out” relay (vs. passing the power supply voltage through the relay), but that should be easy enough.

Can i also use the S20 firmware on the USB 5V Or DC 7V-13V Inching Self-locking WIFI. I want to use it switching mode. That way i don’t need to cut the traces as the power and signal are independent

Hello all and my first post here so please be kind.

I do not own an FTDI adapter nor am I any good at soldering etc, but had read online somewhere that flashing can be done OTA.
I have 10 Sonoff 10a switches in the home so far and would love to add them to my new Smartthings hub.

Any advice would be great

Jon

I think you mean something likeTHIS
Seems quite tricky though.

Thanks Steve

Yeah I had read that post was hoping someone had made an idiots guide or way to do it.

If I buy FTDI (very cheap item anyway) do I need to solder onto each sonnof I have for each flashing.

also with OTA as and when new versions come out I dont have to take them all apart again to reflash

If that makes sense

Hello,

I’m new to both Sonoff & Smartthings.
I got my Sonoff wifi switch working with his own app, so I know that it works.

I flashed the Sonoff with ESPeasy, following the tutorial, then connected them to my wifi network - all good.

I went to add them to ST - auto detect didn’t work, so added it manually by IP - again, all seems fine.

The issue comes when I try & communicate with it thru ST - in the mobile app under “Things” it shows as “ON” even it isn’t.

When I touch the “ON” to turn it off, the app says “TURNINGOFF” but nothing happens…

When I press the sonoff’s button nothing happens and the led is off.

I think I’m doing something wrong, but I’m not sure what - any idea?

Thanks in advance,

Joaquin

I didn’t solder any of my sonoffs when I did mine.
Just held the pins in place whilst it flashed , it takes about 20secs.
Yeah once flashed you should be able to OTA easily then.
Saying that though there’s not been a update on the firmware in the year I’ve been used them.

I normally get that when the plug is turned off so it looks like it’s not communicating right.
It should have auto detected it at the beginning so I would think some kind of network issue.
What kind of router/modem setup have you got.
Try removing it and adding again

I have fiber connection and the ST hub is directly connected to the router. I have already tried to remove it and add it again without success.

When I put the ip (static assigned on the router) of the sonoff in my browser I can directly access its configuration, but I do not see any option to turn on / off.

Thanks

Does anyone know why the auto off function would not work? I set it to 1 second in the SmartThings device settings for the Sonoff however the unit does not switch off after 1 second?

I can manual switch on and off in SmartThings and works every time.

Any ideas?

I have rebooted the device to no avail.

Thanks

Hi I have two more questions before the flashing tonight…

I have read and read. I have added the handler and smart apps to IDE

I have the FTDI delivered today I have downloaded the firmware and ESPEasy so I think I am good to go

But im struggling I cannot see an exact explanation of the wiring ie on FTDI and the sonoff points.

Lastly it states 3.3v not 5v how do i select this

sorry I am new…

Depending on your FTDI, there’s either a set of 3 pins and a jumper that lets you set the pins to either 5v or 3.3v (usually jumping left and center is 5v and center and right pins is 3.3v) or there are jumper pads that need to be soldered to set to 5v or 3.3v. We can’t tell unless we know what FTDI adapter you have.

From the first post in the thread: “Now, with an FTDI adapter1.7k (SET AT 3.3V) connected to the switch (square pin = VCC, then TX, RX, GROUND - that order)”