[OBSOLETE] Sonoff, Sonoff TH, S20, Dual, 4CH, POW, & Touch Device Handler & SmartApp ($5 & $10 Smart Switches)

I guess I am also going through same issue. I flashed firmware successfully and no light after that. then I tried the command provided by Bill after following all the steps to install Python.
it failed after writing 86%. not sure what is wrong. could someone please help me. unnamed

Has anyone used the low voltage dual button types? will the firmware work with these?

Regards

@erocm1231 Any chance you can take a look at your firmware file for the dual and see what is required to make the firmware work with the new Dual R2 version? I canā€™t get your current firmware to work and tried the 4 channel firmware without success either. From my understanding the Dual R2 uses a ESP8285 vs the ESP8266.

finally below command worked after couple of retry.
esptool.py --port COM4 write_flash -fm dout 0x00000 c:\sonoff\Sonoff.ino.generic.bin

rest worked fine except ST didnā€™t discover it automatically, so have to do the manual setup with IP addess.
Thanks @erocm1231.

The male pins are on the right side, top left with the green and the yellow coming out of it is the active, the red is the neutral and the black goes to the earth pin.

I managed to install firmware for dual sonoff r2 but it does not seem to work. Installation is simpler than the previous model, it is shorted between ā€˜GNDā€™ and ā€˜button 0ā€™ to enter the write mode. You can check (help) what has changed, considering that this model (R2) will be in the future.
Thank you

1 Like

This is my first attempt at flashing firmware using the ftdi adapter and I would very much appreciate some clarification.
I have spent two days reading through various posts and watching youtube videos. It appears that there might be some increased complexity and incompatibility in using the original flashing method due to updated sonoff switch and ftdi adapter. Is this true?

If I buy a new sonoff switch and ftdi adapter will the flashing method described in this video still work or do I need to make any changes.

Thanks

Does anyone know if this will work with the Sonoff motion detector?

Hi all,

Just thought Iā€™d share my recent experiences in flashing a Sonoff wifi and a Sonoff POW in case it helps others who may hit the same problems as I did.

Sonoff wifi switch
This is the normal, small Sonoff unit. I flashed it successfully using the instructions at the top of the page but when I applied mains power - nothing. Re-flashing with the NodeMCU flasher (mentioned as an alternative at the top of the page) did the trick.

Sonoff POW
This was much more tricky and I thought for a while that Iā€™d received a dud unit. I followed the instructions to flash it and it seemed to work fine but it would randomly switch on and off (someone else mentioned this as an issue too). Digging around on github, I then realised that it had itā€™s own device handler, so I installed that. I now had a screen which could show Power, Current and Voltage values on the app, but they were all blank (another issue mentioned by someone else). Thatā€™s when I realised that the firmware is specific to the model and that there was a separate firmware on github for the POW - this is not mentioned at the top of the thread, only the Dual, 4-channel, etc have links to separate firmware. Doh! Downloaded it, flashed it and then got as far as the blue led of death - blue led came on, but no wifi access point appeared (someone else also raised this as an issue).

Hereā€™s the kicker - if I right-click and ā€˜save asā€™ from github for the POW firmware, it doesnā€™t work properly: only gives me a 84kb file. But if I click on the file, then hit the download button - 342kb file! So clearly the file was being cut short or corrupted or something. Once I sorted that out and reflashed it, voila - it works beautifully.

If youā€™re still having trouble, try clearing the flash using esptool.py. I did that in between each flash and it may or may not have helped.

TL;DR - Sonoff POW instructions are lacking, watch how you download the files!

Iā€™ve just acquired a Sonoff T1 3 gang and managed to flash it with SonOff Touch but obviously this only supports a single button :frowning:

Is there any outlook for an updated firmware and DH?? Tasmota works ok but obviously doesnā€™t integrate with ST quite as slickly as erocm123ā€™s work!

Hereā€™s hoping! :slight_smile:

HI All,

I have read through the months of comments. I flashed a sonoff basic to ESPEasy R120 following the directions I found in various places. The flash went fine according to the CMD line. but like so many others, I now have an unresponsive device. No SSID no LED activity etc. I downloaded the win32 and win64 releases on the nodeMCU github link but when I try to run either I get a message on my windows 10 machine that says ā€œThis app canā€™t run on your PCā€

When I run as Administrator it says the file (\correct\file\path) cant be found. Iā€™m not really a windows guy and google searches about this havenā€™t yielded anything useful.

Is there a clear step-by-step guide for how to fix this and get ESPeasy working on this device? Iā€™d really like to use a couple of these with my smartthings hub if possible.

I tried to read through everything but this thread is full of a lot of info and I admit I may have missed something,

Thanks for any info or helpful links.

Ok I figured it out, so this wasnā€™t obvious to me, maybe it will help someone?

On the github page, clicking into the directory with the win64 release I then had to click the .exe link and then click the download button on the page that resulted from that. Right-clicking the link in the directory and choosing save as, gave me an incomplete file. everything else works as described now.

Hey everyone, I have been playing with the original sonoff wifi switch for a bit now and after reading much of this thread and poking around in EasyESP I am starting to get my feet under me thanks to all of the hard work of Eric M and many others. Thank you all very much.

I was just looking over the schematic and pinouts and wondering about a few of these unused GPIO. It seems like there may be a few (GPIO2 - PIN14, GPIO4 - PIN16 and GPIO5 - PIN24) that are basically just the pin on the chip (similar to the analog in TOUT - PIN6, although I think some of you have said you did solder to this). The one that really stands out though is GPIO15 - PIN13, this seems to just be tied to ground through a 10K resistor. Is there some reason/need for this? If not it seems like the second easiest GPIO (after GPIO14) to access because it has an 0603 pad to solder to.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but this community seemed like the best place I could think to ask this question. Thanks for any responses.

What are the chances of the firmware (or an relatively easy adaptation of it) would work on a different ESP8266 switch?

Iā€™m looking for a low-voltage solution. More like a dry contactor than a pass-through relay like the sonoff. My current plan is to cut high voltage traces on a sonoff and solder my low voltage passthrough straight to the relay. Itā€™ll work, but I hate using 120v to swtich ~5v. Iā€™d rather have something thatā€™s powered by 5-12v DC.

For example, I have a gas log fireplace that uses a simple two-wire switch. Close the swtich, the fire comes on. I need a relay that will just close those two wires and not pass any voltage from the switchā€™s power supply.

Another use would potentially be controlling things like garage door openers or even window/blind control on the cheap.

This one looks like itā€™d be perfect: (5 of them for $8!!)

Or this oneā€¦

This one looks very, very similar to the current sonoff switch. Iā€™m tempted to order one just to see what happens when I flash it:

Or FOUR channels, powered by USB:

Do I need a smart things hub, or just the sonoff devices?

Thanks

it looks like you may have pretty easy access to the 5V rail on the board that is an intermediate step to 3.3V and is used to switch the relay. It seems to be unlabeled in the schematic (https://www.itead.cc/wiki/images/6/6b/Sonoff_schmatic.pdf), but the unlabeled voltage rail on page 2 is 5V. I just popped one of mine open and confirmed that.

Let me be the first to say I donā€™t know if supplying 5V here will work, but I certainly donā€™t see any reason why it wouldnā€™t. The Sonoff that I cut the input line on is being used for my garage door opener, so I had a readily available 120V to supply the circuit for switching the 18-24V input signal.

I have a number of Sonoff devices in my setup and they have all worked perfectly since day one, but recently I have an annoying issue with the TH devices and Alexa.

When I turn them on or off through Alexa, she always says ā€˜SmartThings isnā€™t respondingā€™ and then turns them on / off.

Does anyone else have this problem ?
They always work but itā€™s just really annoying and it only seems to happen with the Sonoff devices.

Hi James, did you solve the issue? Iā€™ve the same issue that you and donā€™t find any solutionā€¦

Thanks,

Joaquin

I just found this on Git Hub

It talk about power saving using the sonoff as TASMOTA, with this firmware there is a considerable powersaving.

Does someone think to implemente this in she ST firmwre too? Or is already implemented?

Wow, looooong thread with many bits of info.

Sorry to be unwilling to try to filter this out from all that, butā€¦Does there exist the following:

• inline 120v switch
  • no need to flash firmware
  • controllable by Alexa
  • (optionally) comtrollable by SmartThings

???

The only PC available to me runs on an obsolete OS, and can no longer do firmware updates to attached devices. So for this to work for me at this time, it would have to be as above when delivered.