[OBSOLETE] SmartLife (H801) RGBW LED Strip Wifi Controller & Bulb

I wonder if that is causing some of the problems you are seeing, as that uses some packets (SSDP, and sometimes mDNS) which are sent by the H801 in order to update IP addresses, and perhaps they take some time to refresh.

You should still be able to see what the device ID is when you look in the Web IDE, on the Device page. I assume it will be the MAC address if added through the SmartLife app, and hence it will indeed take some time to refresh as SmartThings doesnt seem great at caching/refreshing these packets.

So do you really need the smartlife app anymore?

Should I be adding it manually?

Could someone help me recover my controller. I borked them :slight_smile:

I was able to flash them and everything was great until I added a momentary switch to J3. (since removed)

I suspect it was caused by the fact that I didn’t disable the reset. (missed that comment in the thread :frowning: )

Anyway after adding the switch, and actuating it a few times, my controller stopped responding and I power cycled it. After that the unit was offline and all outputs are latched up (turned on) and the RED and GREEN LED’s are not illuminated.

I’ve tried reflashing it but have been unable to recover it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Thanks but it turned out to be an Alexa issue after all

But i still need some help , i am still having the reliability issues so i went and purchased a second cheap router to set up as an extender (Tenda N301).

I have set it up in WISP mode and it has it’s own SSID/ password.
After setting it up i reset one of my H801’s and i entered the credentials for the second router
the device is now logged into my second router but it is not controllable through smartthings.

Would you know how to reconfigure these H801’s to work through the second router set up in WISP mode?
Some more details , i gave the H801 a static IP of 192.168.50.124 in my main router and now the device is logged into the second router and showing up in the second router but not in my main router.
In the second router’s client list i see it showing up , it has a dynamic IP of 192.168.51.102
so default gateway of the second router is http://192.168.51.1
I am not sure how to configure the H801 to work with this setup , do you have any ideas?

EDIT: ok so i reset an H801 before and entered my same login credentials it connected back to my router fine
But this time when i reset this one and gave it the new login credentials to the second rotuer and then logged into it using the IP address given to it by the second router i see that under the advanced tab all the fields are now rest IP ,subnet , gateway ,HA controller IP , are all zeros
i am not sure how i should configure it now
should i just enter the default gateway of the second router it is connected to and the IP that the second router gave it ,put subnet nd controller IP as i have it in my other H801’s and it should just work ,or is there going to be more to it than that?
How come my PC can still log into the second router with the DHCP switched off but the H801 can not?
my PC can connect to it fine and it shows in the client list.
Before i switched off DHCP i saw both my PC and H801 on the client list but now the H801 refuses to connect to it.
If i put in the log in credentials for the main router it connects to the main router fine.

You need to disable the DHCP server of the second router, that should sort out most of your issues

1 Like

ok i am not sure how to do that on this router ,would it be this setting right here , just change it from dynamic IP to static IP?

EDIT: ok NM i think i found it

but now what should i put for settings in the H801’s advanced tab?
like which gateway and IP should i use?
the one for the main router or the one for the secondary router that it is connected to?

You need to ensure you dont give it the same IP address as your main router (which it looks like you have - .51.1).

Im afraid this isnt really a network website, but Im sure that Tenda will have some forums to advise on what the setting is and where if that doesnt work.

Not sure what you mean
the gateway of my main router 192.168.50.1
the gateway of the second router 192.168.51.1
before i got the second router i set the IP of this H801 to static 192.168.50.124 in my main router
in the second router it was assigned an IP of 192.168.51.102

I have disabled DHCP on the second router and saved and rebooted it
and it didn’t work , i must have entered the wrong settings in the advanced tab of the H801 because now it will not connect to the router i reset the H801, power cycled 5 times and entered the login credentials of the second router again and it still will not connect to the router now.
No it is not a networking forum but i am sure it will be very useful to the community to know how to use these with a range extender and how it must be configured to do so.
Especially since the range on these things is not great at all
I am sure that Tenda forums are not going to have any clue how to configure an H801 with a custom FW to communicate with smartthings
This is not a arduino forum either but there is information relevant to the project here that deals with arduino.

But there are only so many Arduinos but an infinite number of network setups so much harder to advise. And networks can get very complicated when you start having multiple routers and APs. Some are designed to be complicated since then you can configure exactly what you want, while most users really need a super simple device.

If you only have one dhcp server then both devices need to be on the same subnet e.g…50.* hopefully gives you something useful to get started with. Otherwise you will need to change your subnet on the other router (and potentially some of your computers).

Ok i turned the DHCP on the second router off and the subnet for both devices is the default 255.255.255.0 .
What i want to know is generally how to configure the advanced tab in the H801 for a setup where you are not connecting the device to your main router directly (secondary router in WISP mode in my case) , like weather to set the default gateway in the H801’s advanced tab to the default gateway of the main router or to the default gateway of the second router you are connecting it to ,
I do not really have a clue how smartthings finds these esp8266 devices on the network or what it uses exactly to locate and communicate with the device .

I first tried to use a repeater that used the exact same SSID and password as my main router but that failed horribly, the H801’ s were bouncing back and forth between the repeater and main router and losing connection to smartthings every time they did so .
I had to go into the smartthings app and look for them with the little red not responding dots next to them and then go into them and hit save to make them work again each time they changed AP. from the repeater to the main router .
Not only did it not work but even after i removed the repeater the 2.4 GHZ band (it was 2.4 ghz only repeater) on my router was completely broken and i had to factory reset the router to get the 2,4 ghz band to work again at all.
The range on these H801’s is just god awful unless they are literally sitting on top of your router they are not going to respond reliably at all ,my H801’s only have one room between the room they are in and the room the router is in and i have an open concept floor plan and the rooms are not that big at all.
Adding an extender is pretty much a necessity for this project.
The only other solution i could think of is adding something like this to the H801

, but i am not sure exactly how to go about it :thinking:

solder one of these to the board where the trace antenna is?

or cut the cable and just splice and solder the wires to the trace antenna on the board
i wonder if anyone here has tried to mod the trace antenna to see if they get better reliability /range
I do not want my H801’s to be the guinea pigs though :hamster:

My h801 works through two thick external 9" solid brick walls and two floors so I’m not she is such a problem for everybody. Maybe look at reducing metal work/cases near them instead.

Avoid changing the antennas, they are carefully tuned with the correct characteristic impedances for what they are doing.

As for the actual routers I suggest having a read, the gateway corresponds to your dhcp server.

Watching this thread I’ve decided you’re a saint, cjcharles.

1 Like

Ok so you are saying to set the default gateway on the H801’s advanced tab to the default gateway of my main router then , 192.168.50.1
so then when i reset the H801 and put in the log in credentials for the second router and turn it on (turned off DHCP on the second router) then where should i be looking for the IP of the controller to show up?
Will it show up in the client list of my main router, or in the client list of the secondary router ,or both?
It was showing in both before with a different IP in each one, i assume because DHCP was on on the second router.
But after i switched it off i did not see the device show up at all in either of my routers client lists , and i had set the default gateway in the advanced tab to the one for my main router i just was not seeing it , but my main routers client list is a little flaky sometimes.
Devices will pop on the list and pop off and then back on again, but their up time does not reset to zero so they never actually disconnect it just looks like they do.
This makes it hard to find devices in the list especially since i have like 30 clients.

Yeah one of the H801 devices is in a cabinet above the fridge, and it is an all stainless steel fridge
The other 2 i have in the kitchen are really not near any metal at all but they all respond at about the same level .
When i moved my router just a little one of the ones in the bedroom did not connect at all until i moved the router back to its original position ,my house is an open concept , the router is in the living room , that is open to the dining room that is open to the kitchen and the 3 kitchen controllers perform the worst out of all my H801’s .
The 2 i have in the bedroom perform much better and the bedroom is further away than the kitchen is and is not open to the rest of the house like the kitchen is.
So there really is not much logic in it , WIFI is just weird and unpredictable most of the time
at least in my house it is , the things that you think would cause issues don’t and the things that shouldn’t cause issues do.
That said all of my other clients have no problems with the wifi at all ,just these H801’s .
And they report like 3 out of 4 bars too but they are not connecting reliably at all.

Also what does the “switch debounce” setting in the H801’s advanced tab do ? is that at all related to wifi connectivity?

EDIT: I keep on resetting the controller and entering the login credentials of the second router in the H801 but now that i have switched off DHCP it refuses to connect to it at all now ,are there some other settings that i need to configure in the second router to get this thing to connect?
it was getting connected to the second router before but now it does not connect at all and i still see that it is broadcasting the ESPxxxxxxx SSID even after i enter the second routers credentials into it after resetting it.
i can reset it and get it logged into the main router but it will not connect to the second router at all now that DHCP has been switched off
I only bought this second router for the express purpose of using it to get these things to connect reliably

oh pipe down you liltle :rat:

I switched off DHCP on the second router but now the H801 will not connect to it at all
but my PC can still connect to it, why is this?
I have reset the h801 like 5 times now and tried to enter the login credentials of the second router but the H801 will not connect to it, i reset it again and enter the login credentials for my main router and it connects to it fine.
I have tested it and tested it and it will not log into the second router but it will log into the main router, before i switched off DHCP it was logging into the second router now that DHCP is off it won’t connect to the second router at all , my PC connects with DHCP on or off
so why not the H801?
EDIT: ok my phone will not connect to the second router now either it says obtaining IP over and over
my PC connects though , but my phone and H801 do not.

So, standing on the shoulders of giants I have purchased all the bits, flashed, imported, discovered etc. The hardest part of the project was the two days wait in having Amazon deliver the parts :slight_smile:

Everything is working great! Cannot believe how easy you guys made it for us to follow along and get the lights implemented! There is some serious work going into this and we all appreciate it.

The only little issue I am having is getting the SmartApp programs (flashing lights etc) working. I assume that I am to configure the programs 1-6 by clicking the “Configure” button at the bottom/mid page, Nothing happens when I click this button (other than it flashes indicating the click).

Any idea what the issue might be?

Do you mean the device handler or the smart app? In the Smart App you can press the ‘Configure Programs’ button, then set them up and press save. Im trying to think about how to do programs in a smarter way (without needing the smart app) but havent got anything sorted yet.

Yes, this is in the SmartApp. Below the Program 1-6 buttons I see a ‘Configure’ button in the middle of the screen. When I click it nothing happens (other than it flashes indicating the click). I am using the SmartApp that is in the first post on this thread. Could be that there is a newer one. It is hard to find things with 1897 posts in this thread :slight_smile:

You’re in the device, you need to open the SmartApp. You’ll see ‘configure programs’ as a button in the app.

Yep that was the problem.

In trying to fix the problem I had removed everything and re-added the device several times. Like many had said before now nothing worked. I got the “Device has not been fully configured” issue. No matter what I did I could not get it working again. After some time surfing, I found the solution. I thought I would post the solution here for future reference.

Access your H801 info via your web browser (replace 192.168.1.1 with the IP address of your H801):
http://192.168.1.1/info

It will respond with JSON status string. One of the values is MAC. This MAC address is uinque for your device. In this case it is: dc4f224bd621

{“version”:“2.1.1”, “date”:“Jun 22 2018 12:05:33”, “mac”:“dc4f224bd621”}

Find the device on https://graph.api.smartthings.com/. Goto the details for the device. Click “Edit” at the bottom of the page. We need to set the Device Network Id.

Set the value to the mac address above.

In the example above the value is: dc4f224bd621

Capture

Click “Update” at the bottom of the page. Return to your phone and now everything works.