[OBSOLETE] SmartLife (H801) RGBW LED Strip Wifi Controller & Bulb

Your led strip will have a current/power rating (measured per meter or per foot) and you can use multiple pieces of strip so long as the current/power rating is less than the power supply and the h801.

The h801 is 4A per channel (48W at 12V) but I would suggest you steer well clear of this limit, hence maybe 2.5A (30W) max for ensuring it doesn’t overheat.

Meanwhile if your power supply is 60W then that is 15W (1.25A) per channel (assuming using RGBW - 4 channels), however again I suggest leaving some spare capacity if you will have all 4 channels on for a long time (maybe allow 1A per channel maximum).

Hope that makes sense!

(Note I have treated all channels the same but in reality you may find that white or blue uses more current than red or green. In theory you should check each channel individually, but if you leave the safety factors like above then you should be fine)

1 Like

Thanks @cjcharles and @Steveuk23 for the assistance! I’ll find another H801 and see if I can get it to go. Will keep you both posted.

2 Likes

Hi, i have my H801’s up and running in smartthings, Smartlife RGBW smartapp installed and everything is fully controllable from Smartthings. i.e. turn on all colours RGBW individually etc.
Now i’m having an issue when integrated with Amazon alexa, i can request colours using Red Green, Blue, but i don’t seem to have correct control over white.
If i request white, either all RGB lights will turn on to create white, or sometimes nothing will happen.
I am running RGBW light strips and i have toggled between ‘‘Mutually Exclusive RGB / White.’’ on and off, they don’t seem to make a difference for me.

I just cannot seem to get Alexa to turn on the White lights of the RGBW light strip, either as a individual light command or in a group of lights.

Any idea’s?

Thanks

1 Like

I am having same issue, with both Echo and Google home. i just got a mini dot… but I know it worked with Alexa before…

hopefully @erocm1231 can chime in.

1 Like

@cjurczak @Steveuk23 - so… I got a new H801, flashed it, and it does the EXACT same thing - power off = green LEDs haha. Go figure!! Which I’m guessing means either it’s A. my power supply (pictured below) or B. the strips. Given that power off shouldn’t light the strip, I’m guessing my power supply is the problem? I have less than 8 ft of LED strip so I can’t imagine I don’t have enough power. Secondly, the LED strips are cut and plugged in sections - even with a 3 foot strip - the same result.

Appreciate any ideas or suggestions! I’m at a loss.

I’m no expert when it comes to power supplies or even SmartThings lol
But I’m sure 2amp should be plenty as that’s what I use on a 10’ one.
Log onto the IDE and read through the device handler for the smartlife RGB switch and check the off action is actually assigned correctly.
The other guys might have more for you to test.
What you could have done it check the device with the stock app before flashing the firmware.

That literally blows my mind!! :stuck_out_tongue:

I dont understand how electrically that is possible. Have you tried connecting a section of the LED strip to the H801 and not have it installed anywhere to isolate any other wiring? (that would be my first check) I was wondering if there was some strange ground loop going on between earth and a cheap power adaptor.

If you disconnect the green wire from the H801 does it turn the green LEDs off? If you swap the green and red wires from the H801 do you get red on while everything is off? (this is the second test I would look at)

You can try with another power adaptor (perhaps one from an old router or something since it just needs to be ~12V) and see if that improves things, though again I am very confused by what you are seeing!!!

Did you buy the H801’s from the same place? Perhaps you got two faulty ones, though I would be VERY surprised if this was the case!

Really love this project. Was fun to tinker with.

I did a conversion from my old undercabinet lighting which is toggled on with the physical light switch. Now that light switch turns my LED power supply on and off. Is there really no way to enable a memory feature found on other LED controller’s , never mind the weird flash on power up?

@seankovacs
That is exactly how I have my system setup. You can enable the memory feature either on the H801 web dashboard (in the settings page), or in fact you can do it through the ST app I believe too (there should be the same memory setting - which in turn sends the command to the H801 web dashboard)

The weird flash on power on really annoys me too! I really wanted to have a go at fixing, by changing the order of a few of the startup commands, but sadly cant do that just yet as the source is closed. Just to check it does a couple of flashes for you? (once at startup where it flashes green-ish and then again about 10s later)

Anyone come across my issue using amazon alexa?

Feel like an idiot! I had the boot up enabled but I guess it wasn’t reaching the endpoint, so updating via the website worked.

You and me both, ready for the CRAZY part? I just pulled out the green pin… plugged it all in … and it’s still green :crazy_face:

I’m going to try a new LED strip first. Will keep you posted. Again, thanks so much for the help! Will keep you posted. Weirdest thing I’ve ever seen.

Wait but I thought you said you had tried a small standalone strip of the light? (I.e. Sat on the table with only the for rgb, +12v cables going to it. The installation of cables could easily be buggered, hence getting some short circuit somewhere.

I’ve had two of these wifi controllers go offline today.
Tried resetting and I am unable to reconnect through wifi then I found out that I could still connect through a browser but not the SmartThings app, weird.
So I can control one wifi controller through the app but not the other two. But I can control them through the browser.

Sometimes they seem to lose their configuration (happened to me a week ago). Suggest trying to send the config from SmartThings app and it should start working again (or you can update the IP for ST within the webpage of the H801)

Gave the H801 to a friend with a different LED strip. I check all my connections, everything seems dead on. We’ll see what he reports back. I have feeling my LED strip doesn’t like the H801, we’ll find out! Will keep you posted!

No need to get a friend to check it, but do use a small 20-50cm strip of LEDs which is not stuck to anything or connected to anything. If you still have strange behaviour then something is weird, but right not I would guess some dodgy soldering somewhere or short circuit when installing (though even that doesnt explain why just green is on!)

Will a RGBWW controller work as well?

I’ve just setup the H801, flashed fine, logged onto Wifi no problem, and added the device to my smartthings and had it working, however, then my programs stopped updating and then I got this in the logs

87e6eb80-198e-467b-9792-5b54649db699 22:14:06: debug Device Network Id set to 600194422190
87e6eb80-198e-467b-9792-5b54649db699 22:14:06: debug Mac address of device found 600194422190
87e6eb80-198e-467b-9792-5b54649db699 22:13:49: error groovy.lang.GroovyRuntimeException: Ambiguous method overloading for method java.lang.String#.
Cannot resolve which method to invoke for [null] due to overlapping prototypes between:
[class [B]
[class [C]
[class java.lang.String]
87e6eb80-198e-467b-9792-5b54649db699 22:13:49: debug Device Network Id set to 600194422190
87e6eb80-198e-467b-9792-5b54649db699 22:13:49: debug Mac address of device found 600194422190

A little confusing :frowning: Anyone got any ideas what this might be?

I am having exact same issue as well. no idea how to fix it.

used to work… now it doesn’t :man_shrugging: