[OBSOLETE] SmartLife (H801) RGBW LED Strip Wifi Controller & Bulb

Great work guys, quick question i bought anothercouple al-lc02 and they seem to have changed internally ie later version with no metal covervover the wifi chip, i flashed the firmware that worked on the 7 others i have and it said flashed but there is no wifi for the initial connection showing up.

I guess a new version of the wifi maybe required ?

cheers

Can you take some internal photos and we can understand what might have changed? A few other people have said they had problems with this device but all I could suggest was that there may be a button which needs grounding in order for the flash to work… Hopefully a picture might help, if somebody else on here doesnt have another answer.

Hmm so I attempted to flash the device, it failed the first time, then tried again and while being flashed it started smoking the moment it was done, though it failed to complete… Odd only happened right after the below messages:

Uploading 359360 bytes from SmartLifeRGBWController.ino.generic.bin to flash at 0x00000000
        erasing flash
        size: 057bc0 address: 000000
        first_sector_index: 0
        total_sector_count: 88
        head_sector_count: 16
        adjusted_sector_count: 72
        adjusted_size: 048000
        espcomm_send_command: sending command header
        espcomm_send_command: sending command payload
        setting serial port timeouts to 10000 ms
        setting serial port timeouts to 1000 ms
        espcomm_send_command: receiving 2 bytes of data
        writing flash
        read 0, requested 1
warning: espcomm_send_command: didn't receive command response
warning: espcomm_send_command(FLASH_DOWNLOAD_DATA) failed
        read 0, requested 1
warning: espcomm_send_command: didn't receive command response
closing bootloader
        flush start
        setting serial port timeouts to 1 ms
        setting serial port timeouts to 1000 ms
        flush complete

Not sure what fried exactly, used the FTDI with the 3.3v setting. Doing some testing, connecting 12v now shows 3.3 at the 3.3v pin so that is good, but no lights. To get it to work correctly, need to explicitly connect the FTDI programmer. Otherwise it does not appear to be lighting up the chip… Any ideas?

Sounds like it might have fried something. I am afraid to try again. I double checked the connectors before and after and all was good…

Has anyone tried with only the RX/TX to the programmer and power from the power supply?

** Connected the FTDI again after the smoke and was able to program it successfully…

Based on the matt colour on the flash chip (its the 8 pin chip, just below the big capacitor), it was the flash chip that let out magic smoke. Lucky you have it doing anything after losing some magic smoke…

You may find that some memory addresses (potentially the later ones) will be corrupt and hence doing an OTA update will not work, but when uploading via serial it only uses the first part of memory so might be ok…

Maybe keep an eye on it over the next week or two of use as I cant imagine it will be very reliable now…

Cross referencing this from the Sonoff thread:

1 Like

Hello Eric,

I have a question for you since I know you are directly involved with both the Smartlife H801 and also
Homeseer Zwave Switch.
I want to use the Homeseer switch as a manual wall control for the H801. The switch won’t cut the power to the controller, just be linked to it through Smartthings. My question is, can I dim the LED strips through the Homeseer dimmer, or should I get the Homeseer on/off switch and do all the adjustments through the H801 app?
I mainly plan to use the Homeseer double/triple click to activate some programs.
Thanks again for all your hard work

Thanks cjcharles! Apparently I now learned the programmer I was using is 5v at the VCC even when you switch it to 3.3. So a $15 oops I guess… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is anyone else having an issue with their controller? Mine will not respond to on/off at all. I have it set to turn on my lights outside at 830 PM, but it will not turn them on. When i try to manually do it, it just says turning on and nothing happens and eventually just goes back to showing off. It has been working perfectly for MONTHS now. I have cut the power and reconnected it to the network, but still get no response. Anyone have any ideas?

So if you are going to use the double click & triple click of the Homeseer to adjust the H801 then the best you could do is have it set to go to 30% on a single click, 60% on double, and 100% on a triple. Or something like that. Since it sounds like you won’t be hooking up the power source of the H801 to the Homeseer it just depends whether you are going to hook it up to anything else. If not, the standard switch will save you a few dollars.

Thanks Eric

Thanks for all the effort here Eric and others!

Is there anything available that will allow the use of a physical RF/WiFi remote with the controller along with ST integration as discussed here please? My LED strips are pretty much the only thing not on ST now and they all have a physical remote so am looking to replacing the controllers but I would like to keep the functionality of a physical remote control so others can turn them ON/OFF, change colours etc…

Thanks!

It depends what you want to do with the remote, i.e. all colour change options might be difficult, however I have a few Xiaomi buttons and a cube hooked up to my controllers so that I can turn them on/off, change brightness, run a program based on pushes, rotates, flips etc.

Im not sure about using the Philips Hue remote as I cant imagine any of the commands will align… Sadly…

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that there was a hardware solution out there which allowed you to continue to use ‘the supplied’ RF remote as well as be able to connect via Smartthings. If you have the wifi connect details as these hardware solutions can also be controlled via an app as well as RF remote then would be possible to amend the App/DH to work with it?

Yea, I have had issues as well but it seems to be all ST platform related because I even had some go offline. I ended up reconnected them through the Conect app and just waited for ST to behave again and it all is good again after a couple of days.

2 Likes

I’ve had a general slow down of the whole ST platform for the past few days. Response slows down for a few hours and then picks up again.

2 Likes

did you get this fixed? i have the same issue.

do you have a process for a version 1.4 board? i have the same issue as here: [RELEASE] SmartLife (H801) RGBW LED Strip Wifi Controller & Bulb

Question, did you connect it to your Wifi when you had the original firmware on it?

I did not.