[OBSOLETE] SmartLife (H801) RGBW LED Strip Wifi Controller & Bulb

no worries :blush:, just wanting to help others in the future if we are getting errors flashing the 801 from other FTDI products so I can post the warning.

Things have gone from bad to worse. I’ve delete the smart app and device handlers from the IDE. Then readded them. Then readded the smart app. Then manually readded the H801s. The smart app never reports the state of the lights. Pushing the “on” button turns on the lights, but the smart app doesn’t change to “on”. I can drag the sliders, but they never show as being on or off and the level number never changes. The colors out of the color selector are all wrong too. This is happening on both lights now.

From what I read, it sounds like these aren’t in a place where you can disconnect the lights and re-wire. Correct?

I’m just learning how the DH and SM work, but could you just change the link in the controller DH:

standardTile(“green”, “device.green”, height: 1, width: 1, inactiveLabel: false, decoration: “flat”, canChangeIcon: false) {
state “off”, label:“G”, action:“greenOn”, icon:“st.illuminance.illuminance.dark”, backgroundColor:"#cccccc"
state “on”, label:“G”, action:“greenOff”, icon:“st.illuminance.illuminance.bright”, backgroundColor:"#00FF00"
}

And then change the on-state color to what matches your lights? Looks like it might make for funky choices when you choose some of the pre-programmed settings. Again, just learning this code, so you may want to wait for someone more qualified to answer.

There’s definitly something weird going on with either the device handler and smart app are working, I’m leaning towards the smart app… If I log into the IP address/control of the device, I can control it just fine. Powers on and responds to the sliders great. Just doesn’t seem to be recognized/configured correctly in the app.

Automatic discovery does not work (but I’m pretty sure that’s due to my router). I can add it manually, but when I do I get “Device has not been fully configured. Please make sure the device is powered on and has the correct ip address…” In my “Things” screen, it does show up as a device. I select it, and hit the “on” button, and it turns on. I can tap on the sliders and the light responds by changing colors correctly, but it doesn’t display in app.

It sounds like perhaps the ip address of your SmartThings hub has changed? Try hitting the “Configure” icon for the device and it should push the correct ip address to the H801 controller.

Hitting the configure button didn’t work. Still says it isn’t configured in the smart app.

My experience is a little different… anytime I have had devices that have been working well that start to act wonky when I haven’t changed a thing , it has ALWAYS been the ST system causing the issue. I typically look at EVERYTHING from the ST side being the problem and/or is causing the problem. Your issues seem really strange though, did you do anything at all before you noticed the issues?

I had one light that was working great. Got a second one. The second one seemed to come up fine, but the lights were off in the color picker. The first one still worked fine though. Since then, I’ve deleted the devices, smart apps, device handlers, multiple times. At one point the original working light reverted back to the bad lights from the color picker. And now none of them are working properly.

I’m wanting to think something has gotten cached in memory and causing a conflict.

That is something @erocm1231 can look at in the Connect app if he is caching something that isn’t getting purged? I know nothing but I know that the new Super LAN Connect keeps stuff in cache that totally messes with me when I deleted a device that never really gets deleted.

Well, after a reboot of the H801 and pounding on that configure button, I got my smart app working again with my lights, but still have the incorrect colors from the color picker.

This is getting frusturating… it was working perfectly before.

Can anyone confirm the correct firmware version, 2.0.6, Mar 21 2017?
And correct DH is here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/erocm123/SmartThingsPublic/master/devicetypes/erocm123/smartlife-rgbw-controller.src/smartlife-rgbw-controller.groovy

GOT IT!!! I just discovered that the huesatToRGB funciton is in both the smart app and the device handler. I have been monkeying with the DTH, never thought about the smart app until just now. Looks like the smart app in the original post of this thread doesn’t have the updated huesatToRGB method. @erocm1231, I think you need to update that method also to reflect the same function as it is in the DH

1 Like

Way to go and not give up!

So huesatToRGB is in the SmartApp, but isn’t presently used (it can actually be removed altogether). Are you saying after changing it in the SmartApp, the colors returned to normal when controlling the device from within the SmartApp?

If it is still giving you problems, can you check each color channel individually to make sure they are correct?

Yes. It appears that way. I had messed around with the DH for quite a while, with no effect. When I changed the code in the smart app, it worked. Bizarre, to say the least.

Not having any more problems after changing the code in the smart app. Individual color channels are all correct, they never were bad, I could change them fine manually with the sliders… The only issue I had (after getting the H801s back on the right network) was that the color picker (and inherently, Google Home) didn’t work with the right colors.

That is really strange. I haven’t changes the device handler, firmware, or SmartApp for some time. I’ve never seen the colors randomly go wonky (without a change in the the above listed components). Makes me wonder if there was some kind of SmartThings bug.

I agree, that’s why I was so baffled. I’m leaning towards something getting stuck in the server cache. I’ve had one other unrelated issue and support was quick to start dropping “cache” as the clupret The most bizarre problem I had was the first LED strip working just fine with the second one having the wonky color issue… they were both using the same smart app and same device handler… so why would they work differently?

I have this exact issue with same smartapp, same firmware, same devicehandlers yet one out of the five is acting wonky with the Google Home controlling color. Yet on the manual control with the individual sliders everything is perfect. It is almost as if the wonky H801 never got the updated code yet it reports it is installed.

So what exactly did you do that I should try to change in the smartapp code?

Well…I did A LOT of things…deleting/readding smartApps and device handlers, modifying the code in the smart apps and device handlers in hope that if something was stuck cached, it’d refresh.

Ultimately, the last thing I did before it all started working correctly again (so I cannot say for sure that this is what actually fixed it), I modifed the huesatToRGB method that is in smartlife-rgbw-light-connect.groovy (the smartApp) to be the same as it is in the current device handler. They are different, the one in the smart app is the broken one that was recently fixed in the device handler. That method is never actually used in the smartApp… only in the device handler… so logically, it can be deleted from the smartApp… I’m just haven’t yet, I got it to work by making the methods the same…so I didn’t touch it.

I would suggest just deleting it from the smartApp, republish, and see if that fixes it. Since you have the same problem, it would be a good test to verify its the problem since you are essentially working with a “fresh” system that hasn’t been monkeyed with like I did to mine.