[OBSOLETE] SmartLife (H801) RGBW LED Strip Wifi Controller & Bulb

No I’m grateful for the support, I wasn’t frustrated at all. I was just waiting for your reply because I knew that modifying the device handler wasn’t enough.
This is what I bought http://www.ebay.com/itm/302055927780
it use a ESP-12S, I could flash it without issue the LC02 firmware and I also tried H801 but both had the io pins wrong.
Using the LC02 firmware, those are the pins to be swapped
W1 -> Red
Blue -> Green
Green -> Blue

Thank you!

Hope I switched things around correctly. Can you try this:

https://github.com/erocm123/SmartThingsPublic/raw/master/devicetypes/erocm123/smartlife-rgbw-controller.src/AriLux_AL-LC05.ino.generic.bin

If you are using my SmartLife Connect app to add it to SmartThings, you will need to update to the version I just posted to find the new controller.

Thanks for the fast reply, look like all the command work great but there is a little bug with red, now I need r and w1 at 255 to make red correct. if I only set r, the light isn’t stable, it stay dimmed and flash.

Thank you!

Oh, sorry about that. I just uploaded a new one. Can you try it and let me know?

yes, that is perfect, thank you!

FWIW you could make everything work when modifying the DH, since when sending the rgb?value=FFFFFF you could just add on the w1?value=FF (where FF are the red values from above). Never mind, glad Eric was able to sort for you! Might be worth bearing in mind for any future firmware changes which arent ported to the pin config in your device.
C

1 Like

@dalec
Got my new H801 a few days ago and finally got around to messing with it again. This time I fired it up right out of the box and it began broadcasting it’s SSID. I connected to it from my phone, installed the LedDimmer.apk application, hooked up my LED strip and SUCCESS! I was able to use the app to control the led strip wirelessly! Awesome, I now confirmed I have a valid, working H801.

Connected the FTDI adapter (NO SOLDERING done whatsoever) And then I flashed the SmartLifeRGBWController.ino.generic.bin file… and it ALL went to hell again and again and again. Successful flash process completed as I expect it to and it flowed exactly as it shows in my screen shot from post #695 however after rebooting, NO RED LED on d1 at all, and the green LED on D2 barely emits a flash about every 10 seconds or so. When I say no RED LED, i mean, never again no matter how many times I cut power and re-applied it (either via my power supply or through the FTDI adapter) To me, this indicates the thing is now hosed.

I re-flashed this device AT LEAST 10-12 times over the course of 4 of the most excruciatingly painful hours I’ve ever spent in my life earlier today to no avail. I also attempted the reset steps over and over as well with no success.

I wonder if I should try my luck with the Arilux controller and return this one (again).

OK, now this has happened the same way twice?!! Time to call in the experts. @michaelahess @erocm1231 and see if they have any thoughts about why you can’t seem to see the broadcasting of the SSID

-Can you try the resetting procedure again and see if the LED blinks red for you?

Maybe the FTDI controller is wonky?

1 Like

I’d agree with this, but it’s unlikely you’d get a successful flash at all if that were the case. Try another PC perhaps.

Also, after flashing and only having it powered via 3.3v, keep it plugged in for a minute and do nothing, then unplug it for another minute, plug it back in and just wait 5 minutes. Then check for an SSID. Also make sure you are checking for the SSID with more than one or two devices. Ya never know, could be some weird incompatibility in a wireless chip vs the H801…

1 Like

Depends on what qualifies as a successful flash. If then esp flash tool does a pre and post CRC check, for example, to ensure that it reads back from the flash the same file that it sent, sure, I agree. But if “successful” means “I think I sent all the bits and didn’t get any error codes back” it could be a different story.

I was also going to suggest another PC as a next thing to try.

Also to be sure that J3 is totally disconnected when the device reboots. I think further up that was verified but it popped into my mind.

2 Likes

This is the exact same problem I’m having. When I first plugged it in, the green & red led’s were flashing away. After flashing, the green led blinks about once every 7 seconds. No SSID is being broadcast.

Would you mind shipping to me so I can take a look? I’ll ship it back when I’m done. I’m really curious as to why these are giving you such a hard time.

Not sure what’s different, but mine finally came to life. After a successful flash, both LED’s lit up. Before only the green led would flash briefly. Powering it on, the red led lights up, the SSID was broadcast, and after joining it to my network, both leds lit up.

Like I said, not sure what happened this time. But I’m good to go.

1 Like

Is there a way to get Alexa to send a percentage to the controller? I see I can set the different virtual controllers to a percentage, but I’d like to be able to use voice control. Mostly for controlling under cabinet & deck lights single color.

Example, Alexa deck lights 75 percent. Or I want to put my under cabinet lights on a motion sensor. If I walk into the kitchen, motion sensor will trigger lights to say 40 percent. But then I’d like to be able to say Alexa cabinet lights 100.

Is something like that possible? This is such a cool controller. Thanks for all the work you’ve put into making it work better.

I would agree with this, the FTDI just gets a few status bits at various points in the process and doesnt do a proper check of the programmed bits. Could have a dodgy cap or something which works enough to get responses but when sending the actual firmware it fails to send properly.

You can either get esptool to verify the flash using ’ verify_flash ’ as a command (I think that is right, and i think it should go straight after the esptool.exe part). Alternatively try changing the wires and make them shorter, alternatively try and borrow somebody elses FTDI.

Did you buy the official one linked or is it one off ebay?

Tried both resetting procedures (power-on/poweroff 4x and the J3 jumper methods) multiple times but without the expected result. No RED led at all…has never lit up since the first flash.

@michaelahess
I fired up an old Win10 desktop machine I had laying around and tried flashing it multiple times and it failed to complete each time with an error message:

Tried this as well…no luck. I think i’m cursed.

My rig:

@erocm1231
I’m MORE THAN HAPPY to ship this to you, it definitely warrants a second set of eyes.

@cjcharles
I researched the esptool.exe command syntax on GitHub - igrr/esptool-ck: ESP8266 build/flash helper tool by Christian Klippel and didn’t see anything related to a verify parameter.

I bought the FTDI adapter brand new from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014Y1IMNM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1