[OBSOLETE] SmartLife (H801) RGBW LED Strip Wifi Controller & Bulb

And Mac’s are easier…HAHAHAHA!

Sorry, couldn’t help myself! :slight_smile:

If you can do this on a Mac, you can use an RPi NO PROBLEM!

Meh… just different. This is mostly just Linux/Unix/macOS basics for using the shell.

In contrast, using the CLI in windows is like kicking yourself in the goobers repeatedly.

It’s the dev environment stuff that I’m not real strong with. Ending up with multiple versions of python, libraries being installed to who-knows-where, dependency hell, etc.

Yup just making a joke at Apple’s expensive. I much prefer GUI or even powershell over bash or the like. But then I’ve always been a Windows sys admin over a *nix admin. “Dependency Hell”, is seriously one of the most apt descriptions of Linux and it’s variants, out there. :slight_smile:

Yeah I get it… and don’t necessarily disagree. I spent years as a windows Sysadmin a looooong time ago and I also spent quite a few years as a Unix (Solaris, IRIX…) and Linux admin. I’ve just found that I prefer the mac 95% of the time. I never have to clean a registry. I never have to worry about a poorly written program leaving tons of crud behind even though I tried to uninstall it. I don’t really worry about viruses in general, even on windows machines, but I really don’t even have to give it a thought on the mac. Never a DLL Hell. Mac’s got solid underpinnings, but it’s not perfect. Some things that really fall short are when you run across things that are windows only, like the utility to flash firmware for the Aeon Minimote, or even this esptool process. The windows version is pretty well documented and straightforward… luckily someone wrote the python version, but getting the process correct took a lot of digging and trial and error. Otherwise, I’d be stuck going over to windows for a lot of things. When it’s first-class applications and supported apps from the store, stuff works really well. When you start tinkering, it’s an experiment. There are some folks who are wicked whizzes with hacking on the mac, I really only know enough to frustrate myself half the time.

anyone know why i may be getting this error?
ive flashed many sonoffs but this is my first of the AriLux

espcomm_send_command: response 0x20120707

. espcomm_send_command: sending command header
espcomm_send_command: sending command payload
espcomm_send_command: receiving 2 bytes of data
espcomm_send_command: received 2 bytes:
0x00
0x00
0x00
0x00
0x00
0x00
setting address from 0x00000000 to 0x00000000
espcomm_upload_file
error: stat ESPEasy_R100_1024.bin failed
Press any key to continue . . .

almost like a bad .bin file? i tried redownloading the file from a different source and got the same thing

Virtual machines are the best answer to everything! :grinning:

I do have a Dell 9" netbook that’s a Hackintosh running some older version of Mac OSX if I ever need it, but since i have a selection of Linux boxes around the house it’s not needed. I collect old macs, even have a Woz edition IIGs, but I just can’t adapt to using them all the time. I have no single reason as to why to be honest. Gaming I guess…

Had to use an iPad the other day, seriously confounded me for a sec until I realized it’s just like the iPhones my friends always need me to setup for them. :slight_smile:

@Drew650 that error generally means it can’t find the bin file, double check everything, redownload maybe.

I tried redownloading once from his thread and again from a different source

Command prompt as admin? Sometimes that matters, bin is in same directory as esp file’s right?

Comport (example 3, 4, …) :esptool.exe -vv -cd nodemcu -cb 115200 -cp COM5 -ca 0x00000 -cf AriLux_AL-LC02.ino.generic.bin
Flash Size (example 512, 1024, 4096) :1024
Build (example 71, 72, …) :100
Using com port: esptool.exe -vv -cd nodemcu -cb 115200 -cp COM5 -ca 0x00000 -cf AriLux_AL-LC02.ino.generic.bin
Using bin file: ESPEasy_R100_1024.bin
’esptool.exe’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Press any key to continue . . .

got this when i tried running as admin

The esptool.exe and bat file are either not in the same directory, or you are not executing from that directory.

im executing from here. the file is in there.

Check the flash.bat file, make sure it doesn’t have an explicit path. “‘esptool.exe’ is not recognized as an internal or external command” that error only occurs if the file you are trying to execute is not in the local directory or in the computers path variable.

When you do an admin command prompt, it won’t start the same place as a normal command prompt, usually starts in your windows directory instead of the user directory.

i just tried on a different pc with the same result. im not sure how it could be could be trying to execute from a different directory. I will try tomrrow afternoon again when i have more time to investigate. Thanks for the help. At least it was narrowed down. Cheers

The command prompt should be something like c:\users{username}\downloads based on that screenshot. Assuming that’s the case, we see the esptool.exe there, the command file itself may be corrupt, or…I have no idea what else would cause that.

Good luck with it tomorrow!

If you take a screen shot of the command prompt window when you’re running the commands it would help us figure out what’s going wrong.

1 Like

Has anyone being able to change colors by voice command with Alexa or google home?

Keith

Thanks for your time. I just flashed it like a boss!

[quote=“Drew650, post:653, topic:51182”]
got this when i tried running as admin
[/quote] Are you following the steps outlined in my tutorial video specifically at 4:40 time mark for changing directory?

Put the screen capture up as @rinaldok asks.

If you want to be really cool :sunglasses: and want to venture out a little try @MichaelS Ask Alexa custom smartapp. You have the ability to color changes via voice. This takes a little extra effort to setup because of setting up Amazon dev account but look at some of the power you gain by voice:

However the simplest method for Echo (but you have to preset the color you want) is to just voice control the virtual switches of each of the channels or program switches. So whatever you set that channel color at or program action step at will happen when you trigger it manually or by voice.

UPDATE: The simplest method IF you have Google Home is use it. It can control directly without any need for virtual switches.

1 Like

Ahhhhhhh that’s what I forgot… I didn’t have to do that for my sonoffs for some reason. I’m sure that will do it. Thank you! @dalec and @michaelahess
I’ll try when I get home and update if there’s any issues. Thanks for making the video too I’m a very visual learner.

1 Like