[OBSOLETE] SmartLife (H801) RGBW LED Strip Wifi Controller & Bulb

Yes, that’s what I did… I installed the DH and the smartapp that created the 5 Virtual dimmers. With the Virtual Dimmers i can turn it off and on and dim manually but, at least with the “dim with me” smartapp it won’t control it. I can create a automation and that will function.

I’m curious what most of you guys use for your RGBW strips along with your H801 setup.
Any good recommendations, preferably one that’s available on Amazon?
Thanks in advance!

I just searched aliexpress for the rgbw strip and bought some where they had all 4 colors inside the one led.

The first lot I got had seperate leds for white and the rgb and they were spaced too far apart to look any good as a result.

I’ve purchased 6 of these strips through Amazon with only one not accurately matching the color of the others:
SUPERNIGHT 16.4ft 12V 5050 RGBWW
Lixada H801 controller
LEDMO Power Supply, 12V, 5A Max, 60 Watt

I am still waiting for my IR & RF versions to come in. The firmware will need to be modified to make the remotes work.

OK I see this on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JS0KEBW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_25rPybWXW5G5M

Did you find another source?

Have you seen this one by LEDENET? This one just has built in Music Sync as well for getting a dancing lights feature. Based on the description it sure “seems” like it could be esp related.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DY56N8U/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_2_w

Here is a good read to help you decide. It was very educational for me on understanding all the various options and the best one to use. It is well worth the time to read it before you order.

A video showing off various styles and brightnesses

3 Likes

Virtual Device Sync = AMAZING!!! Perfect solution.

My only problem (@erocm1231) is that it’s not working with my Fibaro device. The white channel turns on/off correctly, but selecting any of the other colors (R, G, B) ends up activating all of the colors (turn on R channel, turns on R, G and B; turn off R channel, turns off R but G and B stay on). The Fibaro is in my living room, so it’s not really connected with the H801 strips in the kitchen, per se, but I was working towards a switch in ST or group in Alexa app to have them all turn on/off together for certain activities.

[quote="dalec, post:547, topic:51182"] I don't have a need for that type of activity except for just playing around [/quote]

I have two young boys, so we have a critical need for those programs every day when we go on trips to Mars, the rainforest, etc.!

1 Like

All mine have come from aliexpress, about $7-8 including slow china shipping. All work great with the magichome app on my phone, will have to wait on trying it with the smartthings till after renevations here are completed

No, the sync is just the same as in magichome.

I will pop one open later and see if its a esp or something else. I have another wifi controller that uses a different board in it, not with the magichome app tho.

I have another box that is much bigger that has a built in mic and IR remote, no esp in that one

I haven’t seen that controller. The music sync thing would be cool. If I were to do it, it would probably need a separate app as that capability isn’t available in the smartthings app. It would be cool if a microphone could be connected directly to an esp8266 and music sync could be done that way. I don’t know if there are any microphone libraries or if the esp would have the processing power to make it work well.

Which device handler are you using for your Fibaro? I know that there has been a new community handler introduced within the last few months, but my app was designed for the device handler that people were using before that one. There might be some differences that I need to look at.

Thank you, Dale. That’s was a good read. I’ve always kinda wondered what 5050 is when i see it on the product description - now i know :blush:

1 Like

@erocm1231 do you have any intention to add a color temperature picker to the smart app? I’m trying to figure out the best solution (for my moms house). Hers needs to be a bit more plug and play than custom like I would be fine with.
What she/I want to do a cool and warm white combo, and just control the 2 channels, white only, but being able to pick color temp.

Similar to how a Hue or Osram color bulb shows up, you have the color picker, but also have a white temp slider, and possibly a reset to default (user defined default temp).

Hi,

Regarding on the Flashing, does it working with windows 10?

Does the FTDI USBto TTL Serial adapter link below working? because the price is much cheaper than Qunqi 3.3V 5.5V FT232RL FTDI Usb to TTL Serial Adapter listed on first post

Most FTDI devices that are that cheap are fakes, so you have to manually install a really old driver so they work, and if you get an inbetween one from when FTDI were being real dicks about fakes, it would actually brick them.

Sorry, I have not planned on adding color temperature to the device handler.

YES Go watch my video tutorial and see I am using Windows 10.
Video Tutorial is in post #360

Based on the picture in eBay I would say yes that one should work. It has a stamp of a legit FTDI chip (but who is to say that isn’t faked?). The $1.85 shipping is higher than the device cost :grinning:LOL. I ordered one and the shipping is 3-4 weeks.

1 Like

Eric(@erocm1231)

Question regarding Arilux controllers you’ve added. You’ve mentioned that they don’t have external button support. Currently they can be managed by Magic Home Wifi app. If your firmware is flashed does Arilux loose the Magic home control app option functionality and can be controlled only by SmartThings or it can still be controlled by both? If both options are available then does the light state is propagated to Smarthings in case button is pressed on IR or RF controller.

Thanks for advice

1 Like