[OBSOLETE] SmartLife (H801) RGBW LED Strip Wifi Controller & Bulb

Simple Service Discovery Protocol. It’s what let’s the ST hub find the h801’s. Some routers and AP’s/wifi bridges can cause issues with the SSDP packets.

Turn off the other two routers. Test. Give the app a solid 5 minutes to discover.

I assume the other two are hard wired to the main router and their DHCP servers are turned off? Neither connected or using the wan ports?

Also have you completely removed the smart app and reinstalled it?

What model is the main router? Custom firmware or factory original?

Seems like SSDP isn’t very simple in this case… I have dozens of devices using wifi, zigbee, z-wave, sonos, you name it and this is the first problem I’ve encountered.

Netgear R6400 router using DHCP and latest factory firmware. 2 LAN ports feeding the other two routers.
2nd Netgear R6400 router set in AP mode so the software requires the WAN port to be used and allows 4 LAN ports to be used,
3rd router is an older TrendNET TEW-812DRU using the latest factory firmware available. It is also set in AP only mode but the older software requires the use of a LAN port giving me only 3 other ports for connections.

All are on the same sub-net and share the same Wifi credentials, but using different frequencies.

Since I can’t get the smartapp to connect to the H801 it has never been installed. I copied the latest app code from the github listed above. Turned off other 2 routers, ran app again, clicked on discovery, waited 8 minutes and nothing…
I also did manual add device and entered the IP address of the H801 and similar result of no connect.

K good on all the other bits… Next thing would take a bit more work. Take one of the old routers, make it a router again and replace the existing one temporarily. Backup config first so it’s easy to go back.

Subnet is irrelevant to the two AP’s for all but management, so no worries on that point. I’ve had a 6400 and 6300 both work with these so I doubt that’s the issue, but ya never know…

Before I do that… I just remembered that I have an AT&T modem/router. That is actually using the 192.168.1.xx subnet. My first 6400 is connected to the AT&T Pace router. I’ve disabled the Wifi on the Pace. Do you think that has anything to do with it? The only other thing connected to the Pace is my solar array monitor. It needed internet connection but not internal access.

My instinct would be no. The wifi on your 6400 is simply bridged to the LAN ports, one of which I assume goes to your ST Hub. There is nothing that should be going on with the router portion of the router at this point, the two devices talk between themselves without having to get routed it. However the switch chips (integrated circuits) in some of these devices can be setup to allow various filtering techniques that can impact broadcast and multicast traffic in unexpected ways. Consumer routers are notoriously bad when it comes to lesser used standards. SSDP had been in heavy use since Windows Media Server came out years ago though.

However that being said… You are double NATing it sounds like. 6400 acting as router with it’s wan going to a LAN port on the PACE? Then that’s also routing. That’s not going to affect the h801 in any way, but can cause some site headaches for VoIP and gaming services, among other things like vpn’s for example.

Maybe a stupid question, but have you power cycled the ST hub?

Double NAT, interesting. Never had any problems with VPN’g out. Never VPN in. Don’t use VoIP. Don’t game.

Yes, I power cycled my ST hub. Twice for good measure. (I’m still on v1 hub, BTW)

OMG! I just manually added it again and this time i power cycled the H801 after I added the IP address and it worked!

THANKS for all the help!

Excellent! Double NAT is handled far better in more modern devices/services than it used to be. But hey, it’s more secure that way!

Is there a way to make them automatically turn on, say, at sunset and off at maybe 1 am? I tried using the smart things app but it never triggers it. I can manually do it, but I want it to run it time based .

CoRE!

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=CoRE

So i finally got one of these set up and running. I am finding that the main slider for the RGBW Controller device doesn’t do anything for the white channel W1. So if i have W1 set to 100% and the RGBW Switch set to 100% moving the slider on the switch doesn’t change the W1 channel below it. I saw a previous post that it works for @erocm1231. I am using the latest source from github as of yesterday. Am i missing something? Screenshot below has it at 48% but the led is still bright and the W1 level is 100%.

Yea thats what i figured. I guess ill have to dive into the world of CoRE now! haha

Here is the draft version of a HOW TO FLASH H801 video. I just wanted to get something up to hopefully help someone while I clean up a final version without any hiccups and some clear pictures showing the terminals designations.

UPDATE: I moved the Video Tutorial under Post #360 where there are additional detailed device pictures to help along with the video.

3 Likes

This is a known “issue”. As of right now the main level slider only controls RGB. The secondary sliders control W1 & W2 (as well as all the colors). There is a github pull request for a possible modification but from its description, it has some limitations (I have not had a chance to test it). What are you trying to do as there may be a workaround? Or is it just an OCD thing?

Great video! When you have the final version I will link to it in the first post. Thanks for doing that, it will help a lot of people.

Hi all, I’ve been following this thread for a few days with great interest. I’m about to order my “starter kit” with the various components and give this a whirl.

Has anyone tried or had any success with using the Python version of esptool to do the flashing? I primarily use a Mac, so using the Windows .exe is a bit more work for me as I have to track down a Windows computer or load a virtual machine.

I’m not sure if this would even work the same, but I’m curious:

Thanks!

It looks like it should work. PIP would make it really easy to install (does Mac support PIP)?

I believe it does, but I’m far from an expert in that arena. It might take some playing around.

So, I’m feeling kind of thick here, and no doubt this has been asked and answered, but is my understanding here correct?

In order to use any custom apps like this I have to do it through the Developer IDE by copying/pasting code from threads such as this into the various areas of the IDE?

There’s no way for custom apps to be published into a storefront to be browsed and installed? What about updates? Every time an update is made to the app/code, I have to come back here and copy/paste it into my IDE?

That seems… well, stupid?

I don’t want to hijack this thread so feel free to point me elsewhere, but this seems like a huge barrier to entry for a system whose intended design was to be simple and user-friendly!

The basics as follows:

You’re right, community developed code can be shared in the way you mention. That whole process can be simplified through the use of Github and by linking repositories (search for further information), note that GitHub integration is only working fully in the US at the moment, not in the UK.

The number of supported devices grows often as ST add items to their supported list and as SmartApps get added to the marketplace. I’m pretty sure that an individual can submit device handlers and/or SmartApps for certification by ST. I’ll tag @JDRoberts for comment, he’ll have a clearer view on that than I.

So not 100% stupid, but not 100% perfect either. But that’s what makes the community so quick to respond to new devices and makes the whole solution so flexible and open!