[OBSOLETE] SmartLife (H801) RGBW LED Strip Wifi Controller & Bulb

@Gottria pull the jumper off J3 after its powered up and it should work.

Tried that also and same results. I’m running windows 10 and I tried it on a win 7 32 and 64 bit machines and same issue, wondering if it’s a crappy ftdi board. Tried all 3 of my H801 boards with same results.

On connecting this thing up, it’s TX to RX correct? Also if I provide the 3.3v from the FTDI to I also need to provide VCC and ground to the green connector? I just a

OK, got one of them flashed so I know my board works, it switched to COM5 and it flashed. Did the setup and joined my WiFi OK. Now to figure out how to install the 3 things on my IDE page, never done that before.

EDIT: Got all 3 flashed and ready to go, I soldered in pins and and had secure jumpers and all is good. Now I need help adding the 3 parts to my ide.

Yep, I see a bug now that was introduced with the last update. I’ll fix it ASAP.

Edit: Fix should be live now.

1 Like

Success! Thank you!

I finally ordered one of these to swap out the FLS-PP Zigbee unit I have controlling our front door LED ring. To say I’m disillusioned with Philips Hue is an understatement. Integration with SmartThings works intermittently, at best, and I’ve been having issues with the FLS-PP not responding to commands from either the Hue or ST systems when I tell it to do things.

I have flashed the H801 with the latest firmware and then installed the SmartApp and device type handlers and I’m VERY impressed with how well it just works.

The one thing I miss is the color loop function the Hue has. I’d like the system to just cycle through the rainbow from one end to the other like on the Hue, and if White is an option in the LED strip, to eventually cycle to white between ends of the rainbow or somewhere in between by activating the white LEDs. Is this something that is possible with this device? A smooth gradual cycle through millions of colors rather than stepped through 24 steps would be great to have.

Either way, I’ll be picking up five or six more of these to do holiday lights with. :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK, still not sure how to load the Smartthings pieces of code. What I have done is log into my smartthings site and went to My Device Handlers,
Created new device handler, From Code, and pasted in code smartlife-rgbw-controller.src/smartlife-rgbw-controller.groovy. The did the same for the smartlife-rgbw-virtual-switch.src/smartlife-rgbw-virtual-switch.groovy and then added smartlife-rgbw-light-connect.src/smartlife-rgbw-light-connect.groovy to the My SmartApps section.

I have to manually add the device and it finds it OK but not sure how to configure it from there.

Go into your Automations tab in your SmartThings app, select the SmartApps section, and select the SmartLife RGBW SmartApp.

Find the “Installed Devices” above the “Remove” button.
Tap on the unit you want to work on.

In here, you can change the device name, configure the programmed light effects and add/remove the virtual switches.

1 Like

Perfect thanks. I kept trying trying to make changes to it under My Home SmartLife RGBW Controller all they way on the bottom it has a configure icon that does nothing on mine and 6 outlet icons that I can’t figure out what they do,

I struggled with that initially as well, but once I figured it out I was able to get things up and running fairly quickly. :slight_smile:
Once you have your programs set for your devices, you shouldn’t really have to go back in there again.

Yeah, the config button just pushes what you’ve configured to the device. When you setup programs for the 6 “outlets” within the SmartLife SmartApp, it will auto push them anyway, it’s just an incase kind of button.

Once you program the 6 programs, you can use the virtual switches the app creates to simply turn them on/off without having to cycle the 5 channels individually.

This device has a lot of flexibility to it, takes a few minutes to grasp all it can actually do!

@erocm1231
I am having a hard time understanding exactly what I need to do to get this device going. Is there a step-by-step video or guide with detailed pictures on how to set this up? Mainly just getting it connected to Wifi and soldering jumpers/flashing. After reading most of this thread, having a hard time figuring it out.

So I need the device, LEDs, and this:

1 Like

Whats the difference between these two:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC5-24V-Wireless-Smart-Dimmer-Receiver-Output-5-Routes-PWM-Data-WiFi-APP-Controlled-for-RGBW/32634286022.html

You get the Amazon one quicker? It’s the same thing.

Interesting… Amazon is prime item so yes two day shipping. perfect timing for holiday lights

Is it possible to set up rules with CoRE?

Example:
So, if door opens, blink red.
Door closes, go Green for 5seconds.
Then stay Blue.

Yeah, make sure to use the virtual switch manager to create all 5 channels per device. It gets a bit busy, I created a group just for all my devices virtual switches. But then CoRE can use each color individually. Not sure if blink works on it though. I also like it because I set Alexa groups for example “White Bedroom” that turn on all the white channels and my light/lamps. Also have a blue, green, violet, you get the idea.

What power supply would one need for this device? Im looking at getting 3 from Amazon. Id like to use one of these with about 32ft of LEDs in my master closet, and want to make sure its powered sufficiently.

Any 5-24v will work if it’s the same voltage as the LED’s and has enough amperage to push what you want. 12v is all I use, 2amp minimum in most cases. LOT’s of old wallwarts in my drawers fit this need, but switching power supplies are best. Don’t get the uber super insane cheap ones, they’ll burn your house down. And always get a bit more than you think you need, 3-4amp for what you want would probably suffice.

*not an electrical engineer, do the maths yourself to be safe!