SmartThings Community

[RELEASE] SmartLife (H801) RGBW LED Strip Wifi Controller & Bulb

dth_lighting

(Eric M) #31

Let me take a look and see what I can do.

(Paul) #32

Looks awesome @erocm1231!

I’m patiently waiting for a unit so I can have a look, thanks for your efforts with this.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how you could control multiple units together? Depending on the ratings of the unit and the project I’m working on I can see a use case for more than just one. I’m therefore starting to wonder how I might control more than one setting the same colour across multiple devices. Thanks.

(Matt) #33

Oh man. Is there a limit of 1? I just bought 4 of these hah. Also hows the latency?

(Paul) #34

Oh man. Is there a limit of 1? I just bought 4 of these hah. Also hows the latency?

I can’t answer the latency question. I’ll wait for the US guys to wake up and let you know. Mine hadn’t arrived yet.

The only limit to the number of these units you could use would be based around your network. Each one needs an IP address so the maximum number of devices would more than likely be determined by available IP addresses. Each one would appear as a different device within ST.

My question relates to controlling multiple devices together. For example could I have four units controlling four RGB strips and make them all turn red using a single control or virtual device within ST? Optimistic I think :confused:

(Eric M) #35

Latency will be the same as any other wifi devices you have connected to SmartThings. I do not notice any latency, but it depends on your wifi connection, internet connection, and performance of the SmartThings cloud.

@brumster A SmartApp to keep them in sync already exists I believe. As SmartThings will have to change the color of each device one at a time, there may be a small but possibly noticeable difference in the devices getting in sync. A firmware based option to keep them in sync is not something that I have looked into, but might be possible. It would be down the list on priorities for me to add though.

(Paul) #36

@brumster A SmartApp to keep them in sync already exists I believe. As SmartThings will have to change the color of each device one at a time, there may be a small but possibly noticeable difference in the devices getting in sync. A firmware based option to keep them in sync is not something that I have looked into, but might be possible. It would be down the list on priorities for me to add though.

Thanks @erocm1231. No worries with any possible latency getting them in sync, it does;t concern me. I’m looking at a project that may require 3-5 of these for some architectural floodlighting so I can handle the delay given the potential expense of having to buy other brands :slight_smile:

Don’t worry about the f/w option. Nice thought though. Your efforts are always appreciated (and I’always curious as to what you will come up with next :grinning:

Thanks for the pointer on the sync SmartApp. A quick search points me at Trend Setter, is that what you were thinking?

(Eric M) #37

I haven’t tried that one but it looks great. There is also one called “Color Coordinator” that looks like it is a published app in the SmartThings marketplace. Under the “Lights & Switches” category.

(Michael Hess) #38

I use trendsetter for a bunch of grouped bulbs, and it works great. occasionally they will be half on/half off, but that’s almost always a zigbee device dropping off the mesh, and not a fault of the program. I haven’t used it with my H801’s, but I bet it would work, might try that tonight…

(Michael Hess) #40

I found that setting colors via HEX works almost perfectly, doesn’t force white to 100%. I’ve setup three automatons with this and they seem to work great. Unfortunately I can’t use CoRE’s Random color option with HEX. :slight_smile:

I know, I just need to upgrade all my strips to RGBW, but I have to wonder, haven’t tested on my RGBW strips, will the white 100% command override the colors? I’d assume it would…I have to test that sometime this week.

(Eric M) #41

Yeah, it currently does override the colors when you adjust the white channel. That is a personal preference, but I see how others may want it different. For me, I either want the LEDs to be color or I want them to be white, but not both. I have several changes I am going to post soon. After that I will start working on the next batch of changes. One of which is controlling all channels with independent endpoints. When I do this, I’ll put an option in to allow all channels to be active at the same time.

(Michael Hess) #42

That sounds awesome!

(Paul) #43

Agreed. Thx Eric.

(Jane) #44

OK I received these H801 connectors today. I understand how I am going to flash it but I would like to know from my 12V power supply where do the positive and negative leads go on the H801 and then what two terminals do I connect the light to?

(Michael Hess) #45

VCC is + GND is - on the W1 and W2 side. Lights on the other side and if RGBW strip, white goes to W1.

(Eric M) #46

I’ve got a new release. There are lots of changes here and you must update the firmware, device handler, and SmartApp for everything to function. Remember, updating the firmware is as simple as navigating to ipaddress/update and uploading the bin file. Here are the changes:

• Web interface. A simple interface to use for basic control and configuration. Configuration isn’t necessary other than connecting it to your home wifi and using the Service Manager SmartApp, but this allows you to check everything and do some tweaking if you want.
  • Static IP. It isn’t necessary to set a static IP, but if you are really into that then go for it.
  • Password protection. Password protect the configuration, control, or both. Next release will have a way to factory reset, so in the meantime do not forget the configuration password if you put one in.
  • New options for programs:
    • Random duration. You can make some cool lighting or fire place effects with this. You choose a minimum and maximum duration. It must be above 100 ms.
    • Random color. Random color is handled by the controller so the color can be generated on the fly.
  • Individual channel control. In addition to setting the color with the color picker, you can now use a slider to control each channel. This is a big step in allowing all the channels to control individual strips. Hopefully next release.
  • Option to have white and rgb mutually exclusive. If white turns on, rgb turns off and vice versa.
  • Default transition effect in device handler. If you don’t like the “fade” effect, you can turn it off.

I am looking at turning GPIO 0 (the pin you ground to go into flashing mode) into an input for the addition of a switch. Unfortunately I can’t use the PWM pins (RGBW1W2) for that purpose. Those of you with some good soldering skills @michaelahess should be able to take advantage of that.

NOTE: After updating everything, go into the SmartLife SmartApp and hit “done”. For some reason, the program information is getting deleted when the SmartApp gets updated.

Program Examples:

(Michael Hess) #47

SWEET! Thank you sir, now I have (even more) stuff to do this weekend!

(Michael Hess) #48

Holy crap this is awesome! Response is nearly instantanious, easily the fastest responding device in my network now!

And I don’t have the failed commands like I’ve had with the Sonoff and the old firmware for this device. At least not yet, and I’ve been playing with it for about an hour straight!

Love the sliders and physical toggles for each color, makes non RGBW strips FAR easier to automate with CoRE!

Oh yeah, updates all went great of course. Now if the GPIO pin can get used as a switch…then my wife can get her physical closet switch back! I patiently await that feature.

What sort of timings/events did you use for the lightning effect? I want to do that with my kitchen lights too, but have them sit at dark red, great Halloween affect!

(Paul) #49

Where do you find the time :slight_smile:

Awesome job @erocm1231 really appreciated!

@pcgirl65 this is exactly what you need to control separate channels.

(Jane) #50

We are using just an LED light. So the power goes into VCC and GRND and the one wire from the light will go into W1. Where do we put the other wire from the light?

(Jane) #51

Does this mean that we can connect up four lights to one controller?