[RELEASE] Smart Weather Station Tile Updater and Severe Weather Notifications - Fix Broken Modes and Repeat Notifications

I have no idea what that means - is there a link/thread you can point me at
to do the same?

CoRE is a rule engine for SmartThings. A piston is a rule for something some action based upon some input. See this wiki for help installing the SmartApp:
http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=CoRE#CoRE_SmartApp_Installation

Once you have CoRE installed, you would open the SmartApp and do this to add piston that polls SmartWeather every 15 minutes:
(This is for Android; it may be slightly different on iOS)

• Select “Add a CoRE Piston”
  • Scroll up, make sure “Basic” is selected
  • Select “If…”
  • Select “Add a condition”
  • Select “Capability”; scroll down and select “Time”
  • Select “Comparison”; then select “Happens At”
  • Select “Value”; scroll down and select “Every number of minutes”
  • Change the number of minutes from the default 5 to 15
  • Select “Done” to finish the trigger
  • Select “Done” to finish the condition group
  • Select “Then…”
  • Select “Add an action”
  • scroll down and select “Control any device”
  • scroll down and select “Select pollable devices”
  • scroll down and select “SmartWeather” then “Done” twice
  • Select “Add a task”
  • Select “Poll” and then Done twice
  • Select one last Done to save the piston

Followed the directions and all was going smoothly until I got to here:

“scroll down and select “SmartWeather” then “Done” twice”

but the SmartWeather station tile does not appear in the pollable device list. My other devices all seem to be there. Suggestions?

Is SmartWeather in your devices list? IIRC, you need to add it from the IDE. Something like this:

(login at https://graph.api.smartthings.com/, click “my devices”, and then ‘add’)

The Smartweather tile is already installed as one of my devices, and shows
up both in IDE and on my IOS app. It is even recognized in a different
CoRE piston I made as a temperature capability, it just isn’t listed as a
controllable (pollable) device per the instructions above.

Sorry! I’d forgotten I’m still using a custom Smart Weather that I added poll and refresh commands to, which is why it works for me :flushed:. My change is in github as below…

But instead, I suggest installing Weather Station Tile 2.0 which has poll/refresh already set up.

My change (which I opened a pull request for back in Feb) is in github here: GitHub - loverso/SmartThingsPublic at smartweather-poll
SmartWeather Station Tile device not updating (updated thread title) - #21 by jlv

1 Like

I’ve installed your recommended WST2.0 and it now seems to work (with CoRE Piston) fine!
Thanks!

The only issue that I have with WST 2.0 is that in the Smart Tiles dashboard its not listed as “Weather” so I dont get all the information on one tile.

That’s because the original weather tile is the only supported weather
device in ST. This is one of the special case scenarios.

1 Like

Smart Weather Station Tile Updater - Version 01.07.00

• Added ability to check for SmartApp updates from the RBoy server and notify user (required access to RBoy Apps Server)
  • Update interval is now fixed at 5 minutes to make it more reliable with the ST scheduler
  • Updates can be disabled based on mode selection (e.g. only update during Home and Away)

After installing this code update you will need to open the app on your ST phone and click on Done for the changes to take effect

I just installed 01.07.00 but when I tap Done I get: An unexpected error occurred. The IDE shows:

72152364-6afb-4080-8b7c-2326d6cd15b0 11:00:35 AM: error groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: org.codehaus.groovy.grails.web.json.JSONArray.refresh() is applicable for argument types: () values:
Possible solutions: reverse(), reverse(boolean), every(), every(groovy.lang.Closure), length(), first() @ line 114

Thanks,
Omen

That means you have a problem with your underlying weather station device, it’s reporting that it doesn’t support the command refresh. Are you using the stock/standard ST weather controller? You may want to delete the weather station device start over and install the stock ST weather station (see the 1st post).

That was the stock/standard ST weather station controller, and it was the second one I tried (I deleted and re-added it). I think this screenshot covers it:

If your device is working properly you’ll see something like this in the IDE when you click Done or refresh.

798ae49a-5e33-476b-b714-b807d020574f 3:12:05 PM: debug WUSTATION: event: [name:wind, value:0, unit:MPH]
798ae49a-5e33-476b-b714-b807d020574f 3:12:05 PM: debug WUSTATION: event: [name:weather, value:Scattered Clouds]
798ae49a-5e33-476b-b714-b807d020574f 3:12:05 PM: debug WUSTATION: event: [name:weatherIcon, value:partlycloudy, displayed:false]
798ae49a-5e33-476b-b714-b807d020574f 3:12:05 PM: debug WUSTATION: event: [name:humidity, value:61, unit:%]
798ae49a-5e33-476b-b714-b807d020574f 3:12:05 PM: debug WUSTATION: event: [name:feelsLike, value:87, unit:F]
798ae49a-5e33-476b-b714-b807d020574f 3:12:05 PM: debug WUSTATION: event: [name:temperature, value:83, unit:F]

Also you zipcode shows KEDU?

Otherwise delete your weather device and start over.

KEDU is a local airport and perfectly valid “zipcode”. The weather tile successfully displays data for it. I’ll try deleting and re-adding when I get a chance.

1 Like

can i input my WU key?
what device handler does this work with?

@RBoy is this broken? If so, what is the new alternative? It’s still listed on your site.

Thanks.

No, it’s working fine. This is a SmartApp which refreshes the weather tile and adds other logic around it. This is a replacement for the stock app which used to ship with ST to update the weather tile and has the mode bug in it.

Are you confusing it with the latest weather DTH which was updated by ST to use a different weather data source? It still works with that new DTH.

This smartapp is not updating my PWS weather anymore. I think its because of this post that I found:

Weather API Changes

Announcements

Dec 2018

1 / 93

Dec 2018

3h ago

SmartThingsStaff Member

25d

The WeatherUnderground (WU) APIs SmartThings has been using to access local weather data are being shut down at the end of this year. This means any Automations or Devices that use the getWeatherFeature() method will stop running or begin returning errors on January 1, 2019.

We are taking steps to ensure that the SmartThings SmartApps and the SmartWeather Station Tile device handler will continue to work by porting them to new APIs from The Weather Company (TWC). These will be released into Production this week and there will be no gap in performance. To maintain your SmartApps and device handlers, we have exposed the following methods for SmartApps and Device Handlers to replace getWeatherFeature().

Thanks for the app. It installs and executes, and the SmartWeather Station Tile events log shows it received a refresh command, followed by a ‘last update’ command. Under the value column it shows the latest date and time. However no weather data has changed over the span of hours, and on the device page the last updated time still shows as many hours ago, contradicting the event list.

An additional error in the IDE live logging shows this for the Weather Station tile:

error groovyx.net.http.HttpResponseException: Not Found @line 219 (poll)

I’m still learning my way around Smartthings, apologies if anything doesn’t make sense, and thanks in advance for any assistance.