[RELEASE] Smart Vent Manager - smartapp commissioned by Keen Home

Hi, the temperature reporting time with the DTH in my 1st post in this thread is usually 5-10 minutes (not 15 minutes).

Regards.

I tried them both and they both ran at 15 min intervals.

Hi, that’s strange. The refresh rate at my place is around 10 minutes usually.

For your custom requirement, you may want to look under the configure() method. There are some explanations on how to change the value in hexadecimal. You can tweak it for the DTH under

https://graph.api.smartthings.com/ide/devices

Regards.

Hi,

I made some changes today to the smartapp (v1.6):

• when no thermostat is provided as input, the desired temp in the room will be also checked against the room temp and the vents will be open/closed accordingly. Previously, the vents were left open in all cases.

• added some checks in setVentSwitchLevel() to avoid obstruction and logs some warnings if any.

You’d need to resync at the github.

Regards.

Just installed my 2 keen vents in my basement. I think I installed keen vent manager ok. The vents do open and close on command. My usage is that my basement is usually unoccupied and its wasteful to heat it as much as my lower floor (same zone) or cool it during summer. I’m fine with it to be cooler than the lower floor during winter and hotter during summer when the AC is needed. (I live in northeast US). Currently, the vent temp reads >100 degrees when the heat is on and when heat is off around 70. do I need an additional temp sensor in the basement for what I want? also is my threshold of 65 going to work for me during summer? it seems the logic will leave vents open and therefore cooling an unoccupied space. Would it make more sense to have a threshold for heating and a different one for cooling? or am I missing something? Thanks for any help.

Hi,

Here are my answers to your questions:

1. You’d need either a temp/motion sensor with KeenVentManager or one of my zoned heating/cooling solutions in order to configure an active zone -which excludes your basement) when required during the day).
  1. If you want to control the vents based on different cooling/heating thresholds, you’d need to contribute to ScheduleRoomTempControl which has much more features at my store (amongst other zoning/scheduling capabilties and different thresholds for heating/cooling).

For more details about ScheduleRoomTempControl, refer to the ST community wiki:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ScheduleRoomTempControl

ScheduleRoomTempControl is available for download at my store:

www.ecomatiqhomes.com/store

Regards.

I use to use the free keenect app and it worked great. Keen has released a direct ecobee app that lets you use the remotes in each space to control the local vents and it works very well. Keen is also working on a third party temp sensor arrangment to do what you want. Once I got a dozen or more vents in my system the overhead seemed to bog ST down so that why I went to the direct ecobee/keen arrangement. St seems to run much smoother without all the vents on the system.

Hi @susanandmichaelw,

I don’t know how long you’ve been using smart vents, but my experience is very different from yours (and most of my contributors). I’ve been using the Keen Vents since the Keen beta testing (more than 2 years ago), and I haven’t had any ST performance issues. I have more than 100 connected devices, and 16 smart vents with no performance issues whatsoever.

You may want to contact ST support as I suspect that you have some zigbee mesh issues.

Some of my contributors have also used the Keen app for a while, and they came back to my zoned heating/cooling solutions as they have way more features and configuration options.

Here are some recent testimonials:

Regards.

It’s been right at two years working with the vents on ST and I currently have 15 vents in use. I’m not talking about the original manual only keen app… I’m currently running the recently released Keen app that works directly with the ecobee3. Its very straight forward and works well for our ~3600sqft three level home using 3 repeaters and the ecobee sensors in every room with or without a vent. We are only running ~ 65 switches, receptacles, contact sensors and motion detectors with ST but we do have a bunch of hue lamps, sonos speakers, and 6 users. Removing the vents made a noticable difference in control response and general operation of ST. I havent tried the vents on ST again since Keen pushed the vent firmware updates out over the air a month or so back. I agree the ecobee sensors are a bit slow but 3 minutes seems plenty fast for hvac control. I had always noticed the Hue hub, ST, and Keen hub had proximity issues and zigbee in particular seemed to suffered at times.

thanks for that info. But I have 2 nest thermostats. Starting to regret that somewhat but too busy/lazy to switch to ecobee and my family has gotten used to the nests. I’ll have to see how the paid version of keen vent manager works. I don’t think I will have that many keen vents. I’ll start with two and see how that goes.

thank you. I am having trouble reaching your site to download. Is it down? Tried 3 times today.

No, it’s not down… I had several orders today that went through…

Regards.

Hi, I corrected the link. Somehow, there was an issue with it.

Regards.

I bought it. The problem seems to be browser specific. (not sure why) The link doesn’t work for chrome. But worked for microsoft edge.

Hi, If you try your vents under ST, make sure to install one of the DTHs (Device Type Handler) that I posted at the top of the thread.

When I was in the Keen Beta, I modified the stock DTH to poll every 10 minutes instead of every minute by default. This significantly reduces the load on the ST platform (by a factor of 10) and save your vents’ batteries.

Regards.

I have been using this for awhile and it seems to be working well, question is how does this compare to the new Ecobee3 integration they recently released?

I don’t have a Keen hub, so I know I would need one if I wanted to go with their app.

Thanks

Hi,

Refer to my previous post.

My zoned Heating/Cooling solutions have been compared to the latest ecobee3-Keen integration, and it looks like a lot of people prefer my zoned Heating/Cooling smartapps as they offer way more options.

Refer to some testimonials here:

My Zoned Heating/Cooling Solutions are available at my store:

www.ecomatiqhomes.com/store
Regards.

I’ve installed your smartapp as well as the smartapp for a nest thermostat. I just purchased 4 Keen vents. 2 for master bedroom and 2 for the living room.

What I need is for the bedroom to be colder at night. This is easily accomplished manually by opening my bedroom vents and closing the living room vents. How can I do this with your app, based on the mode the Nest is in? I’m willing to pay for your app if needed, jus not sure which one is needed.

The other part I question, if I have the temperature on my Nest set to 67 degrees and your app controls the vents to get the bedroom to this temperature by closing the living room vents and opening the bedroom vents, the nest will think it is still hotter than 67 degrees, since it is located in the living room as well, and will continue ruining the AC, will it not?

Hi @DomSim,

I already responded to you by email. Your requirements are not totally clear to me, but it looks like you want to set up some room’s ambient cooling & heating thresholds and have different schedules (day, night).

If so, then ScheduleRoomTempControl is the best app for the above use case and it’s available at my store.

For more details, refer to the ST community wiki:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=ScheduleRoomTempControl

Regards.

1 Like

@yvesracine I have 3 vents in rooms that have an external temperature sensor and I am happy with how they are working with your app, I am thinking about getting some more for other rooms that do not have an external temp sensor, how do the vents adjust for this? I do have a connected thermostat that is down stairs while the vents ill be adding are upstairs.