[OBSOLETE] Simple Event Logger

Actually I Did, but it crashed. So I wanted to show the error that I was getting, so I just forced it. I will wait for the new version and give that a try. Thanks.

I looked at it and other than the second row being blank, not sure how that happened, everything looked good.

You’re supposed to create a new column for the date so if you had done that, you would have a column F with a header “Date”. If you had previously setup the report based on column F and column F doesn’t contain a date, that would might explain the error you’re getting.

Edit: I’m performing the final tests on the new version now so I’ll be posting it shortly. This version has an option that automatically generates the date column for you.

That empty column would do it.

Release v1.3

I just released a new version that requires you to update the Google Script code and the SmartApp. Make sure you set the version to “new” when publishing the Google Script.

There are 2 new settings in this version which are located in the “Other Settings” section:

Maximum Catch-Up Interval: When the SmartApp is unable to log events it will keep trying from that date range. If it goes for a long period of time and then starts logging again there may be too many events for it to log which will cause it to timeout every time it tries.

This setting prevents that from happening by limiting the maximum time frame that it can use when retrieving events. It must be higher than the “Log Events Every” setting so that when it’s behind it will slowly catch up every time it runs.

Log for Reporting: When this is enabled, it will log the additional columns Description, Date, and Hour which should make it easier for you to generate reports.

Other Changes

• Bug fix for archiving when cells in the first column are empty or have invalid dates.

• When you update the settings screen it starts the logging process so you no longer have to wait for its scheduled run time.

1 Like

OK, just installed the app, created new sheet with script. I see the two extra columns but now can’t find the instructions for the chart. Sorry.

AS I had with the with prior version, the + at the bottom of my screen is missing in action. I am not sure why this is happening. I will try another browser.

`Installed and it appears to be working! I’ll keep an eye on it and see it recovers everything. Thanks for your efforts on this great app!

OK created chart using Safari, Chrome doesn’t show the +. Why does my chart look nothing like yous, mine looks like a crazy dot chart.

Is it me or are the stats at the top of the app gone in this latest release?

Scratch that, its there, just odd behavior since it’s working overtime catching up from the last 6 days.

You don’t have to create a new sheet every time, all you have to do is copy and paste over the old version of the google script code and use the deploy as webapp feature.

If looks like you’re using the date/time column instead of the date column in your report. The date/time will get logged going forward, but you need to populate it for all the data logged before you updated.

It’s using a formula for the date so to populate the missing data just copy the first cell with the short date and paste it over the empty cells.

I am going crazy over here. I don’t get any logs at all.
I’ve follow the instructions multiple time and nothing.
I created my sheet in Google Drive. Publish the script (new, everyone including anonymous). Copied the url and test it, “Version 01.03.00”. Installed the app in my IDE using the github repository and is showing black (up-to-date). I enabled OAuth (true). I installed the app in my SmartThings Mobile App and pasted the same link that I tested.
I get the logging status in the app, so it looks like is doing something, but no logs are recorded. What is happening?

Logging Status
Total Events Logged: 0
Available Log Space: null
Last Execution:
-Result: Successful
-Events From: 03/02/2017 22:57:09
-Events To: 03/02/2017 23:13:33
-Logged: 0
-Run Time: 0.018

I know you probably did this, but in the app did you select some devices and select which events of those devices you want logged.

Yes, I tried different different devices and different events.

Another odd behavior I’ve noticed is that is not running every 5 minutes like I have selected. The last run was today at 8:03:23. I only have door sensors with contact event since I though it was the most stock DH I have. Realistically I want to log energy but I notice the custom DH I have is showing N/A in the simple device viewer app, so I didn’t want to start with that one.

@krlaframboise any idea of what I could be doing wrong?

If you open Live Logging in the IDE and then save the settings in the SmartApp, it should provide more information as to why it’s not working, but it sounds like you’re using the wrong url.

You have to use the url that you get when publishing the gscript, not the url from the browser after testing it because the url changes as soon as you navigate to it. I think the url field shows an example of what the correct url starts with.

@krlaframboise Have you ever thought about logging events from smart home monitor? I love your app and use it regularly!

I have thought of adding location events, which might include SHM events, but it’s low on my To Do list.

@krlaframboise

I got it to work using the Live Logging. I was using the correct URL, the problem was the way I was “sharing” my link from my PC to my Tablet. I was saving the URL to a Google Docs file in my PC and then accessing the same file in my tablet. Since the link is long, it takes 2 lines in the google docs file. When I copy and paste it into the app, it was adding a space between the first and second line. I got rid of the extra space and its working like a charm.

Thanks for all your help and amazing app!

1 Like

I’ve found the easiest way to transfer images, urls, text blocks, etc is to use the forum.

Create a reply, paste the content and it auto saves without posting it and then if you navigate to the page on another device the reply will be open and you can copy the information and cancel out of the reply so it never gets posted.

I can’t seem to get google sheets to make any logs. I followed all the steps and when I go back to look at the spreadsheet there is nothing there for hours now. Could you give me some help?