[OBSOLETE] Simple Device Viewer

I sincerely hope it is just my phone and your app get published. I very much appreciated your effort and contribution :slight_smile: I am worry ST might not let it passed the review process.
No error at all. The app works perfectly fine on my Android. It is a blank screen on my Windows Phone. I opened the Live Logging while loading the app in the Windows Phone, no activity at all.

• Updated the app. Same issue.
  • (dev) was present. Unchecked the “Enable local child app discovery” box. Same issue.

Live logging did not show any error message.

I can install the Button Controller and see the configuration page. I cannot move forward with the Next because it required I choose a button device where I do not have it.
At least the configuration page is viewable.

You can install a ‘Simulated Button’ via the IDE (go to ‘My Devices’ and select “New Device”; give it a name and something unique for the Network ID and select ‘Simulated Button’ in the type dropdown).

•Updated the app. Same issue.
•(dev) was presented in the IDE. Unchecked the “Enable local child app discovery” box. Same issue.

I am willing to help.
Compare to your effort and contribution, mine is minuscule.

I seem to have a switch showing up even though it isn’t selected. Main Garage Door below

Did you select the Main Garage Door from one of the other lists like Contact Sensors or Sensors?

A lot of my devices support multiple capabilities like Motion, Temp, and Battery and I didn’t want to have to select each device multiple times in order to get it to appear on all the screens so every device that is selected automatically appears on all the screens it supports.

I’m assuming the device handler you’re using for your garage door supports the switch capability and it returns on when it’s open and off when it’s closed or vice versa. In theory, pressing that item on the switch screen may actually open or close the door.

Unfortunately by making this SmartApp “simple” to setup I’ve also made it somewhat ridged so you sometimes end up displaying things on screens that you don’t want them on.

I have the same problem with a few of my devices so I’ve been considering adding an exclude option for each capability like I did with the notification settings.

I know it’s counterintuitive, but I’d rather add a few devices to an exclude list than have to select a lot of my devices multiple times. I’m interested to know if the other people using this SmartApp, and have at least 15 devices, agree or disagree with my way of thinking?

When you have a moment, can you try installing my Home Presence Manager SmartApp on your Windows Phone and let me know if it also comes up blank.

I’m not officially releasing this because it’s only useful if one person is in the house and it’s not 100% reliable, but the setup is similar to the Simple Device Viewer SmartApp. There’s no need to complete the installation, unless you want to, I’m just interested to know if it has the same Windows Phone problem that the Simple Device Viewer has.

I’m only explaining what the SmartApp does because I personally wouldn’t want to install something without having any idea what it does. The Home Presence Manager SmartApp allows you to use motion and/or contact sensors along with Virtual Presence Sensors to keep track of where you are in your house. It also allows you to specify lights that should turn on when you enter a room and turn off when you exit. This eliminates the problem of lights staying on longer than they need to or turning off unexpectedly because you stood still for too long.

1 Like

Hey Kevin,

I tried your app when it was first available, haven’t used it since, until tonight and I must say… Well done Sir

Love the condensed mode, sort by temp/battery…

It’s really come a long way, keep up the good work

Rick

Ah, yes. I have its contact sensor functionality selected.

Something’s not working for me.

I copied the code into a new smartapp in the IDE, and published. (I can’t use Github integration as I’m in the UK, and it’s broken for us on this side of the pond).

It then shows up in the app, in marketplace / myapps. But if I select it, change the name (to fred, say) then hit done, it says “Successfully added Fred”, but then nothing happens. It isn’t listed in my Smart Apps, and if I go back to the marketplace and select it again the name has gone back to empty.

Am I being a Muppet?

Nope, that’s a new SmartThings bug caused by last weeks update, but the post below explains how to make it appear in the mobile app.

1 Like

Brilliant - thank you @krlaframboise.

The Home Presence Manager has the same problem or behavior.

Home Presence Manager.
•Updated the app. Still blank screen.
•(dev) was presented in the IDE. Unchecked the “Enable local child app discovery” box. Same issue.

I can see the configuration page for the Home Presence Manager!

Looking real nice and polished. Lots of options.

Feature Request: Is there a way to choose all device under a type (like motion)? I want to use this to monitor that every device at least communicates once a day, and don’t want to have to remember to add to the smartApp on every one.

Blank screen again.

I’m not exactly sure what you’re requesting.

If you want it to automatically monitor new devices that you install without adding them to this SmartApp, I’m pretty sure SmartThings doesn’t support that functionality.

On the Choose Device & Capabilities screen, you only need to select a device once and it will automatically appear on all the screens for the capabilities it supports and receive notifications if they’re enabled.

Did that answer your question?