[OBSOLETE] Simple Device Viewer

Ok - I can confirm that I don’t have that option on an iphone. I"m now unsure if I am setting up correctly - I’ve added and offset to the reading to make sure I have numbers above zero, but I still get temp alarms even with low threshold set to zero. This may be some kind of operator error…

I know nothing about iphone so this probably isn’t possible, but have you tried typing a negative number in an email or something and then copy and pasting it into the SmartApp?

The SmartApp doesn’t support offsets so is that something you’re setting in the DTH? If so, have you opened the device in the IDE and verified that the temperature is no longer reporting negative numbers?

Ok - I have confirmed that I am getting temp values above zero F.

I did try to cut and paste a negative number into the SDV threshold (great idea - I would never have thought of that) - however, I get an error when I do this “The number must be at least zero”

I’m still getting hourly notifications even with a 0 F threshold setting when the temp is above this. I’m going to try a threshold of 1 F to see if that makes a difference.

I’ll try changing that field from a number to a decimal to see if iOS allows negatives.

I’ll let you know once I’ve made that change, but in the meantime you might want to exclude that device from temperature notifications and create a rule for it using Smart Home Monitor.

I’m sure there is still a high likelihood of operator error here, but what seems to be happening is that I get regular threshold trip notices when low temp threshold is set to 0 and measured temp is above zero. This does not happen when low temp threshold is set to one and measured temp is above 1…that’s the way I have it set now.

That’s a bug in the SmartApp, I know what’s causing it so I’ll fix it this weekend.

I’ll also make a change to the low temp threshold field which will hopefully accept negative numbers for iOS.

Is anyone else having problems opening this app in the last couple of days?

All of the sudden I am getting “somethings wrong” screen when trying to open the app.
I made sure I am on the most recent version on the GtitHub repo.

I know there were ST back end changes and other issues have cropped up too.

@krlaframboise do you have any insider info ?

It has to do with having too many devices selected, selecting them more than once and/or choosing too many attributes in the display settings, but you can’t check/fix those things if you’re unable to open the SmartApp.

A temporary solution is to comment out lines 114, 115, and 116 like below which will allow you to open it and change the settings. After making the changes to the settings you can put those lines back and it should open.

//getSelectedCapabilitySettings().each {
// getCapabilityPageLink(it)
//}

I plan on releasing a permanent fix soon because the problem seems to be getting worse.

1 Like

Thank you fo explaining and the work around. I will keep an open for any update you issue too.

1 Like

Ah, yes, thank you for the temp fix.

1 Like

I’ve submitted a pull request (number 15) to the Github project that adds Threshold and Notification settings for Power Meter devices. This lets you know if a device is consuming too many or too few Watts. Is this something anyone else would find useful?

2 Likes

I couldn’t accept the pull request because it created a duplicate capability and it added some unused css, but I worked your changes into a new version.

To avoid confusion I try to keep the only link to the code in the first post of the topic so please delete the link you included in your last post.

The latest version also has the following changes which will solve some bugs that were recently discovered

• The links on the main screen will show all capabilities selected in the Display Settings. It used to only display the ones with devices, but that extra check contributed to the timeout errors.

• Added abort feature for main screen to ensure that the SmartApp will always open. If it aborts a message, it will display the links it was able to load and a message with suggestions on how to eliminate the timeout.

• Added ranges for threshold settings which will hopefull cause the negative sign to be displayed on iOS.

• Fixed issue with not being able to set the thresholds to 0.

• Removed default values from threshold settings so that if you only want to monitor low or high you can leave the other threshold empty and it will be ignored.

@Jifuraay, @Awestun, @femwitjava

4 Likes

Thank you Kevin. Your updates are appreciated to keep us running :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@krlaframboise

Hi Kevin,

Thanks again for the app!

Apologies if I am missing a setting somewhere but if not would it please be possible to have an option to merge multiple messages into one on a per ‘device type’ basis (perhaps). For example (as extreme as it is), if it reports back on my windows I can get up to 20 separate messages, one per sensor. It would be great if it there was only one message so instead of “Last Event - 2 HRS - DOOR A” it would Push, “Contact Sensors - Last Event - 2 HRS - DOOR A, DOOR B, DOOR C…” or something along those lines. Think this may also help in immediately letting us know what type of device it is reporting on.

Just a thought.

Thanks!

That won’t work for multiple reasons:

1. You’d end up getting duplicate events for each device. For example, a Contact Sensor may also be a Temperature Sensor and an Acceleration Sensor so if it worked the way you’re requesting you’d get 3 last event notifications for that device.

2. When SmartThings is having performance issues and it’s unable to check all the devices within 15 seconds it has to abort and pickup where it left off the next time it runs. When it aborts it would either have to send a partial list of device types or it would have to wait and send the full list the next time it runs and the times wouldn’t be accurate.

3. For your example to work, all those devices have to be offline for 2 hours and if they’re not you’d still end up with a seperate notification for each device.

4. It would cause problems with the way that the “maximum number of notifications to receive within 5 minutes” setting works.

If you’re getting 20 messages about your contact sensors being offline for 2 hours then it sounds like your threshold is set too low. A lot of contact sensors wakeup every 4-8 hours so those will always appear offline when they’re not. You may need to run more than one instance of this application if you have some devices that check in frequently and others that do not.

The Device Monitor SmartApp might be able to do this, but it’s not something I can build into this SmartApp without adding a bunch of new settings and other workarounds.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

Perhaps I was just receiving them all as had changed several settings as was playing with the config. But then why did they all come at once several times? If it reports back on the actual inactive time then surely they should have all reported back at as inactive at separate times. Is it just because I made changes to the settings? Also, it is the inactive time I am looking at, this is not necessarily the same as being offline or is there no distinction there?

With point 1, surely you would get even more duplicate events if they are not ‘grouped’? Perhaps I just misunderstand what you are saying :slight_smile:

I was just posing the question and greatly appreciate the replies. I do use Device Monitor also but was hoping to move to just one app.

Thanks again for all your efforts with the app! :smile:

If the last activity of all the devices was within the same hour then they’ll all report the same value for last activity. If you updated all of their settings that would explain why they’re currently synced, but that will most likely change over time.

The device has a “Last Activity” field which it uses for the last activity notifications, but if the device supports the Health Check capability and SmartThings marks the device as offline it will send the notification even if the device hasn’t exceeded the threshold.

Some devices create events in a way that SmartThings doesn’t always detect which causes device’s last activity field to be wrong so there’s a setting in the “Other Settings” section that allows you to specify at what point it should go through the event history to manually retrieve the last event time.

If many devices exceed the last activity threshold then you’re right, batching the notifications would result in less notifications, but if it was only one device and that device supports 4 capabilities then you’d end up receiving 4 notifications instead of just 1.

1 Like

I still cannot open the app. Are we still in temporary fix required mode? I have not made that change.

Thanks

Hi!

Is it possible to:

1. hide the “ALL” buttons (“turn all on”, “turn all off”) from the dashboard? (I personally find them unnecessary/confusing if you only have one switch)

2. customise the “simple device viewer” text at the top of the dashboard?

Thanks!

The version I released on 7/16/2017 should have fixed that, but I do know of one other user that still had issues.

On the Choose Devices screen, each device should only be selected from one of the lists, but if you accidentally select a device more than once the code will remove the duplicates.

I have over 100 devices and I can select each device multiple times and everything works as expected, but it was timing out for that other user.

The other user temporarily commented lines 1084 and 1086 which allowed them to open the SmartApp and remove the duplicate devices from the Choose Devices screen.

Once they did that they were able to go back to the published version and everything worked as expected.

That user had originally selected the lights from the lights dropdown and the switches dropdown.

I was able to fix the other issues by not displaying everything on the screen if it was able to time out, but since that user’s error was happening on the lines that retrieve the list of devices and I’m unable to reproduce it, this is something you’re going to have to manually fix using the instructions above.