[OBSOLETE] Simple Device Viewer

I like having all these features in one SmartApp, but could you make the display denser, possibly starting with removing the horizontal lines? I’m currently using Device Monitor and BatteryMonitor, and opening those SmartApps goes directly to this sort of display:

(hmmm, I surely need to better name many of my devices)

I will add the setting “Condensed View Enabled?” to the “Other Settings”. When the option is enabled, I’ll display all the items in a single paragraph which will eliminate the lines. This setting will not affect the look of the “Swtiches” screen. When this feature is enabled, the icon feature will be disabled.

This is a simple change so I’ll include it in the next version. I hope to release that version later today, but it allows you to receive notifications based on Temperature, Battery, and/or Last Event Time so it requires extensive testing first.

Since this SmartApp is meant to display more than just Battery and Last Event times, I won’t be changing the look of the Main screen.

Enabling the Sort By Value features allow you to view all the items outside the threshold together so I don’t plan on creating separate views for them like the other applications have.

The SmartThings related issues previously mentioned appear to be gone so new and existing users shouldn’t run into any problems with the latest version.

Version 1.4 is now available and has the following new features:

• Created a new icon for the SmartApp, it’s not pretty, but it’s better than the house icon it previously had.

• Condensed View can be enabled from the “Other Settings” screen. When it’s enabled, the screens will not display the icons, padding, and dividing lines. Condensed View does not change the appearnce of the switches screen.

• Send notifications based on Temperature, Battery, Level and/or Time Since Last Event. (Mbhforum)

• Optionally send additional reminders for each type of notifications after a specified amount of time. (Use 0 to turn off reminders)

• The app checks for notifications that need to be sent every 5 minutes. To avoid getting a bunch of notifications all at once you can specify the maximum number of notifications to send within a 5 minute period.

The latest version can be found in the first post of this Topic.

2 Likes

Thanks, just updated via GitHub IDE. One issue I have noticed is I have the app polling my Water sensor for battery. However, this water sensor doesn’t report any events unless there is a leak which is obviously rare. The smartapp pushes a notification to me that no events have been received from this device which I really don’t care about. How do I monitor this device for battery life but not get alerts about no events? It seems we should be able to distinguish between the two. Thoughts?

I have things like an outdoor outlet that I would like to exclude from alerts as well… spare cree bulbs in a drawer too…

[quote=“Mbhforum, post:26, topic:42481”]
The smartapp pushes a notification to me that no events have been received from this device which I really don’t care about. How do I monitor this device for battery life but not get alerts about no events? It seems we should be able to distinguish between the two. Thoughts?
[/quote] The original purpose of this application is to provide an easy way to view the devices and the notifications feature is just an added benefit.

If you want the view screens to use one set of devices, the battery notifications to use another set, and the last event notifications to use another, you’re better off using 3 different applications. Trying to do it all from one application makes it overly complex to configure which is probably one of the reasons why there aren’t other apps that do it.

Others have created SmartApps dedicated to monitoring last events and batteries so if you want more flexibility you’re better off using them instead.

To achieve the functionality you’re looking for using only this SmartApp you have two options:

1. Turn off repeat notifications for Last Events. You’ll initially receive an alert for the devices you don’t care about, but you won’t receive another last event alert for that device until it has a new event that falls outside the specified threshold.

2. Use multiple instances of the application with different names. Have one instance named something like “Battery Notifications” and only choose the devices you want to receive battery notifications for, choose “battery” for the capability to view, and don’t enable the last event or temperature notifications. Create another instance for just the last event notifications and a 3rd instance that allows you to view all your devices and doesn’t send any notifications.

If the spare bulbs are in a drawer, there’s really no need to have them included in the SmartApp at all so you should just unselect them from the Choose Devices screen.

True… good point about the bulbs… thx.

I’ve thought about it and adding an exclusion field for each notification type that lists the already selected devices wouldn’t make the configuration any more complex so I’ll add those fields to the next version.

Thanks! How do you turn off repeat notifications? Change it to zero?

Clearing the field or setting it to 0 will prevent repeat notifications.

1 Like

I like the new condensed view. Thanks!

When going to “All Devices - States” I’m getting an error (it displays “you are not authorized to perform the requested operation”) and the live logger shows:
error java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "59.5" @ line 525
That’s from an item.value.toInteger() I think.

Sorry about that, none of my devices report values with decimal places so I didn’t catch the bug during testing.

I just released another version (1.4.3) that should fix the problem, but let me know if it doesn’t.

1 Like

That fixed it!

I think I found a bug…my nest protects cannot repeat battery status so they show up as N/A but I still get low battery notifications for them. Thoughts?

Great app! I may have missed it, but I’m getting this error when I try to add this as a device. Any thoughts?

Oh No! Something Went Wrong!
Error:500: Internal Server Error
URI:/device/update
Reference Id:9fa99adc-b94b-44c5-878a-f0085fa8ad11
Date:Tue Mar 22 19:33:27 UTC 2016

Should be a SmartApp, not a Device Handler. :wink:

It’s always the simple things. Thanks Clayton. Work perfectly.

Once I turn on notifications for battery level I can no longer view the list of devices. This error shows up in the live log.

groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: physicalgraph.app.ContactProfileWrapper.hasCapability() is applicable for argument types: (java.lang.String) values: [Battery] @ line 385

I just released version 1.4.4 which should fix the problem, but let me know if it doesn’t.