[EDGE][RELEASE] Simple Device Info Viewer

Could any information through this system give results such as CLI? Sorry maybe I’m asking absurd things, I don’t know what CLI is, and which developer asked me for data coming from him to check some drives that don’t work well with my devices.
Forgive me if I asked for a silly thing and direct me to some tutorials to use CLI :slight_smile:

What information was you asked to capture from the CLI? This app has pretty much all of the device info available from the CLI & API

If the developer asked for logs, or logcat then you must do that via the CLI

1 Like

Can the drive provide information about which zigbee bridge it uses to connect to the hub?
If it’s a stupid question, I apologize. :pray:

Those who dip into the pull requests for the Edge driver repo to see what is coming along may have noticed a recent draft includes child devices of type EDGE_CHILD being created. Something new, if nothing else.

1 Like

I already have a parent child relationship on some of my edge drivers ( harmony and wiser). I just manually set the parent device in the child devices meta data. To aid communication between the parents and child and to ensure the children get deleted if the parent does. I’m wondering if this is just a new label for that, or something else. Both of these devices I’ve made the parents bound to a hub ( harmony hub or wiser heat hub), so responsible for communication to the harmony or wiser hub, allowing a variable amount of child devices that represent the state of harmony activities, or wiser rooms.

No idea if this is something different though @orangebucket

Update: 11/10/22

Added the ability to add virtual devices to each room.

As far as I know, these devices are of type ‘VIRTUAL’ and will live in the cloud, not on your hub.

This replicates the functionality of the official CLI, so please don’t ask me how the devices work, report problems to me with the devices themselves or ask me to create additional ones - you would need to ask samsung to do that.

I’m not sure how useful these devices will be to people, the switch certainly will be.

8 Likes

Very cool and easy to use.

My 2nd location doesn’t have a ST hub, and is heavily dependent on virtual devices, so this will allow me to migrate over to the new architecture.

1 Like

@lmullineux maybe you haven’t seen my message? Or maybe my question is not clear?

I did miss that, but also not sure what you mean

What type of device are you talking about? If it’s a zigbee device then wont the zigbee bridge be the hub?

Or are you talking about something else?

Yes, that’s right, but from the IDE I could see for the zigbee devices, through which other devices it connected to the hub. Now with edge, I don’t know if this information is available. I was asking this to understand what to expect if I delete a zigbee device from my network.
Excuse my bad english

@Diegocampy

No, I don’t think it is. That’s more a question for the smartthings team though

1 Like

@nayelyz, as you can see @lmullineux has created a great and easy way for people without ST hubs to create virtual devices for the new architecture.

One glaring omission is the lack of an Alexa Switch. It is basically a Virtual Switch with an integral Contact Sensor, so that the switch can trigger Alexa Routines. SmartThings needs to provide the ability for people without ST hubs to make Alexa Switches.

Thank you @lmullineux

1 Like

The VIRTUAL devices in general seem to be useful where the capabilities have setter or enum commands. However without those they seem to rely on an automation setting their events directly. The custom devices have the option for ‘command mappings’ but it isn’t clear exactly what they actually they are meant to do as they seem to apply to capabilities but are added at the device level.

Local execution seems to be allowed for. My best guess is that this provides the mechanism for creating virtual devices in Edge, with the Virtual Switch driver being an example.

I think more likely useful webhook integrations, than edge.

Edge has it’s own approach to device creation, you do it in code and write command handlers for the actions.

I would imagine there is some kind of app handling the cloud based virtual devices, however when it comes to local ones I would argue that there is something to what I am saying …

smartthings virtualdevices:create-standard -i localswitch.yaml
2022-10-12T09:47:00.049207554+00:00 TRACE Virtual Switch  Received event with handler capability
2022-10-12T09:47:00.056113388+00:00 INFO Virtual Switch  <Device: ccf730d6-58ad-4c56-8a58-e51578f6d37f (Local Virtual Switch)> received command: {"args":{},"capability":"switch","command":"off","component":"main","positional_args":{}}
2022-10-12T09:47:00.074830554+00:00 TRACE Virtual Switch  Found CapabilityCommandDispatcher handler in virtual-switch
2022-10-12T09:47:00.078256054+00:00 INFO Virtual Switch  <Device: ccf730d6-58ad-4c56-8a58-e51578f6d37f (Local Virtual Switch)> emitting event: {"attribute_id":"switch","capability_id":"switch","component_id":"main","state":{"value":"off"},"state_change":true}
2022-10-12T09:47:00.117771179+00:00 DEBUG Virtual Switch  Local Virtual Switch device thread event handled
2022-10-12T09:47:06.805091891+00:00 TRACE Virtual Switch  Received event with handler capability
2022-10-12T09:47:06.813637349+00:00 INFO Virtual Switch  <Device: ccf730d6-58ad-4c56-8a58-e51578f6d37f (Local Virtual Switch)> received command: {"args":{},"capability":"switch","command":"on","component":"main","positional_args":{}}
2022-10-12T09:47:06.816962683+00:00 TRACE Virtual Switch  Found CapabilityCommandDispatcher handler in virtual-switch
2022-10-12T09:47:06.820187933+00:00 INFO Virtual Switch  <Device: ccf730d6-58ad-4c56-8a58-e51578f6d37f (Local Virtual Switch)> emitting event: {"attribute_id":"switch","capability_id":"switch","component_id":"main","state":{"value":"on"},"state_change":true}
2022-10-12T09:47:06.829635766+00:00 DEBUG Virtual Switch  Local Virtual Switch device thread event handled

That is the Virtual Switch Edge driver from the beta channel. It wasn’t me that installed it on my hub …

Interesting thanks - the ones I am creating I don’t specify a yaml file, these devices seem to be cloud based and work in locations without a hub.

Exactly the same as if you call create standard then choose the a device from the list.

I wasnt aware of the ability to create local virtual devices that run on a stock edge driver - is there some docs / guidance for those?

Not really no. I suspect we’ve been thrown a few bones to keep us interested.

1 Like

Hi, @lmullineux. Thank you so much for your contributions, about this, more information about virtual devices will be shared later on.

This option is available in the CLI as @lmullineux mentioned, the team knows there are still questions about how those devices work so, that’s why they’re collecting more info about them.

1 Like

What is this about?

Did you post on the wrong thread?

Owlening is a spam account. In a few months they’ll edit that post to include a link to an external website.

5 Likes