[OBSOLETE] Russound Multi-Zone Controller Integration

Cool! One more question I’m hoping you can please help with :slight_smile: Do you think this would work with two Russound devices? I have a CAV66 and CAM66 (picked them up for $100 each). I’d like to run all 12 zones. The two devices connect via the CAT5 RNET IN/OUT from both devices.

Yeah - so the plugin is built to support multiple controllers but I’ve never tested it… So when you get everything set up, shoot me a PM and we’ll get it working.

I picked up a basic RPi3 and it’s been great. If you look at my correspondence with @tcjennings above there are some links in our posts (and his blog) that talk about getting the Rpi3 set up. We use the monoprice controller and not russound, but same idea on the Rpi3 end.

ADDED PARTY MODE, BASS AND TREBLE CONTROL
Just a note that I’ve updated the SmartApp and Device Handler to support Party Mode, Bass and Treble Control. All you need to do is update your SmartApp and Device Handler code from GitHub…

Party Mode
Tapping the Party Mode button will turn on all zones and set the source and volume to the same level. If a zone has Party Mode on, changing the source or volume will trigger the same change across all Party Mode zones. You can remove a zone by tapping the Party Mode button in that particular zone or turning the zone off.

Here’s a screenshot of the new look:

1 Like

Would you please explain what you did to fix this error? I’m getting the same error. I’m running NodeProxy on a Raspberry Pi if that makes any difference. Thanks.

@redloro - did you ever test this with multiple controllers? I have 2 CAV66’s that I’d love to control with this app!

@redloro I have tried installing and am getting the following error. Any advice?

C:\smartthings-nodeproxy>npm install
SmartThingsNodeProxy@0.0.1 C:\smartthings-nodeproxy
`-- (empty)

npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: fsevents@^1.0.0 (node_modules\ch
okidar\node_modules\fsevents):
npm WARN notsup SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: Unsupported platform for fsevents@
1.0.15: wanted {“os”:“darwin”,“arch”:“any”} (current: {“os”:“win32”,“arch”:“x64”
})
npm ERR! Windows_NT 6.1.7601
npm ERR! argv “C:\Program Files\nodejs\node.exe” “C:\Program Files\nodejs\
node_modules\npm\bin\npm-cli.js” "install"
npm ERR! node v6.9.1
npm ERR! npm v3.10.8
npm ERR! path C:\smartthings-nodeproxy\node_modules.staging\tunnel-agent-e8b68c
d1
npm ERR! code ENOENT
npm ERR! errno -4058
npm ERR! syscall rename

npm ERR! enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, rename ‘C:\smartthings-nodepr
oxy\node_modules.staging\tunnel-agent-e8b68cd1’ -> 'C:\smartthings-nodeproxy\no
de_modules\serialport\node_modules\tunnel-agent’
npm ERR! enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, rename ‘C:\smartthings-nodepr
oxy\node_modules.staging\tunnel-agent-e8b68cd1’ -> 'C:\smartthings-nodeproxy\no
de_modules\serialport\node_modules\tunnel-agent’
npm ERR! enoent This is most likely not a problem with npm itself
npm ERR! enoent and is related to npm not being able to find a file.
npm ERR! enoent

npm ERR! Please include the following file with any support request:
npm ERR! C:\smartthings-nodeproxy\npm-debug.log
npm ERR! code 1

I believe it was an incorrectly formatted config file… hopefully this will help:

1. Copy the contents of config.json.sample and paste them here: http://jsonmate.com
  2. Edit the document so that it matches your configuration… remove all comments (anthing starting with //) and then click “Beautify”.
  3. Create a new file named config.json in your SmartThings Node Proxy folder
  4. Copy the contents of the json document into config.json
  5. Fire up the server by typing: node server.js

Not yet… working with @shaf to certify more than 1 controller…

Is this a new NodeJS install?

Try the following:

1. Remove line #8 from the file package.json… it’s the line that looks like: "forever": "^0.15.1",
  2. First type npm update, then do npm install
  3. Are you running the command prompt as administrator?

This is a new NodeJS instal and I apologize that I’m not very familiar with it. I am running the command prompt as administrator. I removed line 8 and am now getting several errors after I run the npm update:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>cd…

C:\Windows>cd.

C:\Windows>cd C:\smartthings-nodeproxy

C:\smartthings-nodeproxy>npm update

serialport@2.1.2 install C:\smartthings-nodeproxy\node_modules\serialport
node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build

C:\smartthings-nodeproxy\node_modules\serialport>if not defined npm_config_node_
gyp (node “C:\Program Files\nodejs\node_modules\npm\bin\node-gyp-bin\…..\node
_modules\node-gyp\bin\node-gyp.js” clean ) else (node “” clean )

C:\smartthings-nodeproxy\node_modules\serialport>if not defined npm_config_node_
gyp (node “C:\Program Files\nodejs\node_modules\npm\bin\node-gyp-bin\…..\node
_modules\node-gyp\bin\node-gyp.js” configure --fallback-to-build --module=C:\sma
rtthings-nodeproxy\node_modules\serialport\build\Release\serialport.node --modul
e_name=serialport --module_path=C:\smartthings-nodeproxy\node_modules\serialport
\build\Release ) else (node “” configure --fallback-to-build --module=C:\smartt
hings-nodeproxy\node_modules\serialport\build\Release\serialport.node --module_n
ame=serialport --module_path=C:\smartthings-nodeproxy\node_modules\serialport\bu
ild\Release )
gyp ERR! configure error
gyp ERR! stack Error: Can’t find Python executable “python”, you can set the PYT
HON env variable.
gyp ERR! stack at failNoPython (C:\Program Files\nodejs\node_modules\npm\nod
e_modules\node-gyp\lib\configure.js:449:14)
gyp ERR! stack at C:\Program Files\nodejs\node_modules\npm\node_modules\node
-gyp\lib\configure.js:404:11
gyp ERR! stack at FSReqWrap.oncomplete (fs.js:123:15)
gyp ERR! System Windows_NT 6.1.7601
gyp ERR! command “C:\Program Files\nodejs\node.exe” “C:\Program Files\nodej
s\node_modules\npm\node_modules\node-gyp\bin\node-gyp.js” “configure” “–f
allback-to-build” “–module=C:\smartthings-nodeproxy\node_modules\serialport
\build\Release\serialport.node” “–module_name=serialport” “–module_path=C:\
smartthings-nodeproxy\node_modules\serialport\build\Release”
gyp ERR! cwd C:\smartthings-nodeproxy\node_modules\serialport
gyp ERR! node -v v6.9.1
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v3.4.0
gyp ERR! not ok
node-pre-gyp ERR! build error
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack Error: Failed to execute ‘node-gyp.cmd configure --fallb
ack-to-build --module=C:\smartthings-nodeproxy\node_modules\serialport\build\Rel
ease\serialport.node --module_name=serialport --module_path=C:\smartthings-nodep
roxy\node_modules\serialport\build\Release’ (1)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess. (C:\smartthings-nodeprox
y\node_modules\serialport\node_modules\node-pre-gyp\lib\util\compile.js:83:29)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at emitTwo (events.js:106:13)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:191:7)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:877:16)
node-pre-gyp ERR! stack at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/chi
ld_process.js:226:5)
node-pre-gyp ERR! System Windows_NT 6.1.7601
node-pre-gyp ERR! command “C:\Program Files\nodejs\node.exe” “C:\smartthings
-nodeproxy\node_modules\serialport\node_modules\node-pre-gyp\bin\node-pre-
gyp” “install” “–fallback-to-build”
node-pre-gyp ERR! cwd C:\smartthings-nodeproxy\node_modules\serialport
node-pre-gyp ERR! node -v v6.9.1
node-pre-gyp ERR! node-pre-gyp -v v0.6.26
node-pre-gyp ERR! not ok
Failed to execute ‘node-gyp.cmd configure --fallback-to-build --module=C:\smartt
hings-nodeproxy\node_modules\serialport\build\Release\serialport.node --module_n
ame=serialport --module_path=C:\smartthings-nodeproxy\node_modules\serialport\bu
ild\Release’ (1)
npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: fsevents@^1.0.0 (node_modules\ch
okidar\node_modules\fsevents):
npm WARN notsup SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: Unsupported platform for fsevents@
1.0.15: wanted {“os”:“darwin”,“arch”:“any”} (current: {“os”:“win32”,“arch”:“x64”
})
npm ERR! Windows_NT 6.1.7601
npm ERR! argv “C:\Program Files\nodejs\node.exe” “C:\Program Files\nodejs\
node_modules\npm\bin\npm-cli.js” “update”
npm ERR! node v6.9.1
npm ERR! npm v3.10.8
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE

npm ERR! serialport@2.1.2 install: node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the serialport@2.1.2 install script ‘node-pre-gyp install --f
allback-to-build’.
npm ERR! Make sure you have the latest version of node.js and npm installed.
npm ERR! If you do, this is most likely a problem with the serialport package,
npm ERR! not with npm itself.
npm ERR! Tell the author that this fails on your system:
npm ERR! node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build
npm ERR! You can get information on how to open an issue for this project with:
npm ERR! npm bugs serialport
npm ERR! Or if that isn’t available, you can get their info via:
npm ERR! npm owner ls serialport
npm ERR! There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! Please include the following file with any support request:
npm ERR! C:\smartthings-nodeproxy\npm-debug.log

C:\smartthings-nodeproxy>

@redloro - forgot to tag you in my reply.

What version of Windows are you running and where did you install Node from? Looks like things are super jacked… You prolly want to do the following:

. Uninstall Node
. Download Node from here and install: https://nodejs.org/en/download/
. Delete the node_modules folder
. Run npm install

@redloro I’m on Windows 7 Home Edition and it’s a brand new PC with not much on it.

I have completed these steps and am still getting the same errors as above.

Thanks for the help! I was able to get the ST node proxy working and can successfully control my Monoprice 4 Zone Whole Home Audio Controller, but for some reason the settings are not updating themselves automatically within the SmartThings app. For instance, if a zone on the controller is on when I open the app, the app shows it as off. If I change a source from within the app, the source changes on the controller, but the green dot does not update on the app to show which source is now selected. Also, when I press the mute button, the controller mutes, but there is no way to un-mute it from the app. Is there something that I need to do within the app to get it to update appropriately? Thanks!

Question…

Is there an ability to wire this into a Russound ST2?
I have 2 ST2 components (3 FM and 1 SiriusXM)

Just curious.

@Cory_Booth looks like the ST2 supports RNET, so technically yes this could work… but someone would have to update this plugin to support the commands for the ST2. Right now this plugin only supports the commands for the zone controllers listed in the first post.

@jsn0327 if you hit the refresh button does the status actually update to the right value or no? @tcjennings is the author of the Monoprice plugin and may be able to help…

@dalley333 ok so I pulled out an old Thinkpad with Windows 7 and figured out the problem… the stupid serialport version won’t compile on Windows so we’ll just update to the latest.

All you need to do now is the following:

1. Replace the package.json file with the new one here: https://github.com/redloro/smartthings/blob/master/smartthings-nodeproxy/package.json
  2. Run npm install

And then you should be good to go!

@jsn0327 @redloro

I have seen the ST app fail to update or the refresh being broken when the hub’s IP address changes, and have to update the node proxy’s notify address in config.json. The proxy captures this address once but it doesn’t update on changes.

This happened to me when I updated my network – the app works to control the device but the settings aren’t reflected in the app when the notify address is incorrect.