[OBSOLETE] Russound Multi-Zone Controller Integration

And you bought the same one from Amazon? Can you send me your console log when you start the STNP service and your config.json file? Please send via PM. Thx.

@tcjennings I am having issues running my MonoPrice amp with the app on Windows & a RaspberryPi… Can you help me out?

Ken

So excited to get this up and running! Thanks @redloro for your work! I’m setting up my Russound MCA C5 and RPi 3. I have the newest version of node.js on it, did the npm install, and tried to fire up node server.js but get this:

pi@raspberrypi:~/Downloads/smartthings-nodeproxy $ node server.js
/home/pi/Downloads/smartthings-nodeproxy/node_modules/nconf/lib/nconf/stores/fil e.js:160
throw new Error(“Error parsing your configuration file: [” + this.file + ']: ’ + ex.message);
^

Error: Error parsing your configuration file: [./config.json]: Unexpected token r in JSON at position 1
at File.loadSync (/home/pi/Downloads/smartthings-nodeproxy/node_modules/ncon f/lib/nconf/stores/file.js:160:11)
at Provider.add (/home/pi/Downloads/smartthings-nodeproxy/node_modules/nconf /lib/nconf/provider.js:137:23)
at Provider.file (/home/pi/Downloads/smartthings-nodeproxy/node_modules/ncon f/lib/nconf/provider.js:63:15)
at Object. (/home/pi/Downloads/smartthings-nodeproxy/server.js:23 :7)
at Module._compile (module.js:570:32)
at Object.Module._extensions…js (module.js:579:10)
at Module.load (module.js:487:32)
at tryModuleLoad (module.js:446:12)
at Function.Module._load (module.js:438:3)
at Module.runMain (module.js:604:10)

Here is my config.json file which validates in json lint:
{
“port”: 8080,
“authCode”: “keepout”,
“rnet”: {
“serialPort”: “/dev/ttyUSB0”,
“sources”: [
“Radio”,
“Chromecast”,
“Raspberry Pi”,
“Source 6”,
“Source 8”
],
“controllerConfig”: {
“type”: “discover”,
“controllers”: [{
“controller”: 0,
“zones”: [{
“zone”: 0,
“name”: “Master Bedroom”
}, {
“zone”: 1,
“name”: “Living Room”
}, {
“zone”: 2,
“name”: “Deck”
}, {
“zone”: 3,
“name”: “Basement”
}, {
“zone”: 4,
“name”: “Garage”
}, {
“zone”: 5,
“name”: “Master Bath”
}]
}]
}
}
}

Any ideas on how to correct it?

There’s probably something wrong with your config.json. You may want to try recreating it to rule out any bad characters… if that still doesn’t work can you send me the actual file via dropbox?

Ah yes, I did copy it over incorrectly. It was validating in json lint but I wasn’t copying the entire thing over…

I installed the device handler and smartapp. In the SmartThings app, the zones/rooms are not showing up. ST is talking to STNP and completed controller discovery. I’ve refreshed it a few times but nothing is showing up. Any way to tell if STNP is talking to the controller? Other thoughts?

Update: like @joetheslacker , I had to edit my config.js file to remove the controllers array and it is working. Hope this helps for anyone with the same problem or running an MCA C5

@KenJ

If I’m getting the gist of the thread correct, you probably need to verify the RS232 operation of your setup outside the STNP application.

You can use minicom or screen to open serial communications to devices. Open a connection at 9600 baud and try to communicate with your device in a simple way:

• When connected, you should see a prompt. Press enter, and you should see the prompt again.
  • Type “?10PP” and press enter and you should get a string response from the unit.

If the above doesn’t work, test your serial adapter with a loopback (bend a paper clip to insert and short pins 2 and 3) and repeat the above. Anything you type into a open session will “loop back” to you. If this doesn’t work, your adapter is bad or you’re using the wrong device.

@tcjennings

So when I run the first command it return nothing. but when I run the next 3 changing the Volume on Zone 1, then the Base setting twice it works.
#?10PP

#<11VO10
#<11BS07
#<11BS10

I have a second adapter I am going to change them out.

The second adapter does the same

I can get a status of all the zones by sending a ?10.

The ?10PP command was in error, you’re right it’s just ?10

Since your serial adapter and amp are apparently working correctly, double check your STNP setup; post your config.json and other relevant details, maybe it’ll be an easy one.

{
“port”: 8080,
“authCode”: “secret”,
“mpr6z”: {
“serialPort”: “/dev/ttyUSB0”,
“baudRate”: 9600,
“sources”: [
“Empty”,
“NAS Speakers”,
“Empty”,
“Empty”,
“CJ Dot”,
“RuneRadio”
],
“controllerConfig”: {
“type”: “discover”,
“zones”: [
{
“zone”: 0,
“name”: “Master”
},
{
“zone”: 1,
“name”: “Kids Room”
},
{
“zone”: 2,
“name”: “Bath”
},
{
“zone”: 3,
“name”: “Deck”
},
{
“zone”: 4,
“name”: “CJ Room”
},
{
“zone”: 5,
“name”: “Liz Room”
}
]
}
},
“notify”: {
“address”: “192.168.1.22”,
“port”: “39500”
}
}

For the monoprice amp, you have to number your zones in config.json from 11 - 16 instead of 0 - 5 as noted in the README.

@joetheslacker @redloro
I’m having some in app control issues. I have a Rpi 3 plugged in through USB–serial to my Russound MCA C5.
With the exception of zone 0, in the ST app I can’t turn zones on or off with the on/off buttons. The button turns green but nothing happens. If i click Refresh, the on/off reverts to grey and still no power to the zone.
However, if I switch source, the zone turns on and the buttons reflect the new state. Even then though, unable to turn it off with the app. I see stnp passing the “state”:0 command but then if i click refresh, “state”:1 shows up.
@joetheslacker , it sounds like what you were dealing with. Did you figure out a solution?

@AHartong , would you mind sharing your smartapp and devicehandler code for the Alexa integration you have? I’d like to use it as a starting point for mine if you wouldn’t mind.

@redloro stated above that while working on multi controller version of the plugin he inadvertently released it. I haven’t checked to see if he released a new version yet

Anyone with a starting point or success getting Google Home/Assistant integration or Alexa? @AHartong?

I’m still new on the best way to share the code here. I have a github account, but wasn’t clear yet on how to get the code in there. Let me know how you want me to send this to you.

redloro, any chance you have a version of the rnet plugin that fixes the on/off issue I was experiencing

Yup - it’s been updated… smartapp, device handler and plugin have been updated.

There’s a + in the upper right of github where you can add your code.

@redloro just to be clear, to update everything we should also overwrite the Smartthings Node Proxy?