Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

What if garage door opener are you using? I have a nutone gd00z that installed as a garage door opener in st.

That’s odd…I am on the v1 hub but I don’t think that should impact whether or not a garage door is recognized as a garage door, what opener do you have? Since Rule Machine doesn’t support adding a garage door I simply created two routines, one to open and one to close the garage door, and use that in my Rules. Toggling a switch would lead to too much uncertainty of the state of my garage door for my liking.

Real quick question. And I apologize I’m a newbie for trouble shooting on the IDE. One of my triggers isn’t firing. All it does is change my mode to night at 2200. Or supposed to anyway but doesn’t.

In the IDE, I go to the smartapp and click on list events. I click on All. All I see are a few events with the name “InstalledSmartAppUpdated”. Am I correct in assuming that if the Trigger fires, I should also see an event for that?

unless you disabled the logging in the trigger, yes.

Thanks @Mike_Maxwell . It is not disabled in the trigger. I should add that my trigger is only supposed to run if in Home and Home Evening modes. It was in Home mode.

Check this out:

ugh. Thanks for relaying that Dean. I ticket was turned in. Maybe it will get looked at before the end of the year :wink:

Apparently it’s an issue with v2. I’m using an evolve relay as the opener. There’s a few threads addressing the work around I used. I have a sensor on the door to know if it’s opened so I’m not too worried about that. Just don’t want it closing on me if my wife is already home and the garage is open. I’m just gonna use the plug that came with starter kit and have it turn on and off via rules I guess.

The opener itself is Chamberlain HD220. I’m using an evolve relay switch soldered to a remote to open it

I was in the appl looking around and I think the easiest way to do the garage relay would be …

At the bottom of triggers you have an option switch to disable when on. Can contact to disable when open/closed be added in that manner ? Just a suggestion. I’ve set it up using the virtual switch for now as you suggested

EDIT: Just got home. Trigger did not work.

Define trigger: Android Arrives, Select Actions: Virtual Switch ON, delayed off, Virtual Switch 1min

Nothing happened. Presence as fine, SMH disarmed itself. I manually turned the switch on via the things menu and the door opened.

EDIT 2: Just tested it while changing the trigger to the front door being opened instead of presence and it worked fine. Is there an issue with presence and rule machine? @bravenel

I have a rule that turns on my xmas lights at sunset and turns them off at 9:57pm. Rule had been working, but last night they didn’t. I woke up today and all my Xmas lights were still on.
I checked smartapp history and it showed that stop handler ran, but as I said lights were still on.
Yesterday afternoon hub connectivity went down, so I manually turn on lights. 2 hrs later hub connectivity was back up. Dont know if me manually turning on lights caused the problem. Other rules I had work fined before i went to sleep.

@HLlalo, Last night there were a lot of problems with Smartthings. If you have a version 2 hub, chances are you were affected.

You should consider rebooting your hub as suggested by ST.

Or, in my case, complete power-down, pull batteries and hard reboot… grrrr… time for a hardware reset switch for the v2 hub… or, maybe there is one and I just didn’t see it.

We should actually start a support group for families of ST… my wife would be a founding member (after she finishes maiming me for the instability of this thing)… :frowning:

2 Likes

Ya it appears to be a weekly problem. The amount of problems they are having is beyond what a enterprise company would deal with.

hub 2 has a reboot on the back. I did hit reboot button about 3 hrs before my lights were suppose to turn off, but they didn’t turn off. I had other rules that turned off lights when no motion was detected and those rules function correctly.

I created a trigger but so far it has never executed and done what I set it up to do for when I get home and a contact is closed then it should have opened the garage door but it did not.

Thanks… I’ll have to pull it back and look - my hub is on a shelf in a not-so-accessible place… if I have to hit that button, I’ll be pulling the power and ethernet to get to it anyway…

A better ergonomic design would be for that recessed reset switch to be in the front…

@bravenel I think I may have found a bug using contact sensors and switch to disable rule. Rule is

Garage House Man Door Sensor open and (Garage Door Sensor closed OR Time between 4:00 PM and 8:00 AM)

Actions for true: On: Garage Lights

This always works perfect. I made a virtual switch so I can disable this rule. To test I have the switch turn on when the garage lights turn on. This allows me to turn off the garage lights and then open the garage house man door without the lights coming back on. For testing I’m just manually turning off the virtual switch. With the switch on it does disable the rule, when I turn it off and go to open the garage house man door the lights don’t turn on. I’ve checked the rule while I have the door open and everything is true so the rule should fire. The only way to have the rule fire again is to open the door, close it, open it again then the lights turn on. Seems that after the disable is turned off the rule needs to go true - false - true again to work. Thanks.

1 Like

The disable switch has NOTHING to do with rule truth. The rule will only take action when rule truth changes. Turning on and off a disable switch does not do that.

I think some people are trying to make the disable switch do things it wasn’t intended for, to get around a different weakness in the current Rule/Trigger design. I’m working on a different fix for that. Stay tuned…

Thx for the quick reply. I understand how the rule truth works and my rule works perfectly until the disable rule is introduced. Only once the disable is turned off the rule no longer works as it did before using the disable rule. The only way to get the lights on is for the rule truth to go true-false-true. Sry if I didn’t explain it good enough. Anyways though ill wait for your next great edition, thx for your time.