Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

That is what it is for.

1 Like

see my edited post above…

I think I have it now…finally lol

Trigger: Motion
Condition: OtherLight is OFF
Actions for True:
Turn ON these switches: NightLight
Turn OFF these switches after a delay, pending cancellation: NightLight
Delay: 1 minute
Only Run During Certain Time: Between Sunset and Sunrise

I just tested it like this (but using between sunrise and sunset so I could test it live in the daytime), and it’s doing what I want. So, I can get rid of the second rule for my night-light…for all of the night-lights. Yay! :slight_smile:

Thanks again to @bravenel
This is great!

You can get Big Talker to do this, but RM will not.

Thanks! I will review that section of The Rule SmartApp.

I suspect that my Python based customized pre-TTS snapshot and restore function will not translate to the ST groovy sandbox. I am not a SmartThings Groovy programmer by any means, but I suspect that the limitation here is in the ST API for media devices in playTextAndResume(). Therefore developers will have to wait for ST to fix playTextAndResume() to preserve the Sonos current environment and/or integrate with new Sonos API’s that ST documents down the road.

At least in a future version of Rules, you might incorporate these ST API’s at the speakTrue section of Rules and try to capture and restore some of the attributes of the Sonos before playing a TTS. Again, I appreciate the addition of TTS in Rules!

it.currentValue("status")
        it.currentState("level")
        it.currentState("trackData")?.jsonValue

@bravenel, unusual failure I encountered today. For the first time, I tried setting up a rule that includes thermostat mode as a condition. As you can see, all three mode conditions test False… except they’re not! The thermostat was in heat mode when this screenshot was taken.

I have confirmed there are no IDE errors, that I can set/change mode successfully via RM (confirmed in IDE and by physical check of the Nest), but RM seems to be detecting mode incorrectly. Any thoughts?

BTW, in case your wondering why I don’t simply set the condition to check for (>= 70 AND <= 80), it’s because there is a fourth mode for which I don’t want any action taken - Off (because the Action is to open a battery powered HVAC vent 10’ up on the wall).

Understood, I was just trying to learn about/be aware of the gotchas and wanted to know if the preventive measure was in place or not. I’m not deep into any advanced complexity yet, so it was quicker to ask than to try to dummy something up to test for failure success. I only have a lock and one multisensor in use so far, so I have a long way to go yet. :grin:

my nest does this as well. i wonder if it is because of how we connect nest to ST via the nest cloud. Maybe a zigbee or ZWave Tstat would have this issue. I will know shortly just ordered a ct100

@keltymd, @Mr_Lucky I can check with a z-wave t-stat. Brb

Nope, getting same FALSE when it should be TRUE…@Mr_Lucky

Aha!! (20 characters)

Is there anyway to use Rule Machine to force a SmartThings multipurpose sensor to manually refresh to send out the temperature data out to my virtual thermostat? I would like to force this refresh automatically at say 8:01pm. Is this possible?

I dont trust time triggers but if you add capability “Actuator” to the device code you can then add refresh as a custom command. Once you do that make a time triggered rule and run refresh on it

1 Like

battery powered devices generally are sleeping, so poll/refresh isn’t going to work well…

Is there a Zwave Smart Plug that has a temperature gauge built in?

I want to have a smart switch on for 5 minutes if already off, pending cancellation - the cancellation being somewhat ‘double duty’ type of action, pressing the switch on again to force the light to stay on… any chance that might work? and if so, can this switch still be the physical override when on?

Where in rules can I create the “greater than”, lower than and “equal to” triggers?

I am trying to create a TTS that will announce when I reach a certain temperature!

select anything that has a numeric value such as dimmer level and you will get the option of <> = != =< =>

Thank you very much, keltymd

Maybe this has been asked before but… is there anywhere that has extremely expressive explanations about each setting / field in the app? The wiki for instance? I didn’t see if there were sub pages for each field or help blocks to explain what these things mean.
I’m a developer and even some of them don’t feel expressive enough for me.

For instance…
Set these dimmers: (fairly self explanatory)
Track event dimmer? (no idea what this means…?)
To this level (I’m assuming this is percentage… 1 through 100? but could it mean 0 to 255 like some bulbs use?)

Just trying to better understand what I’m setting.
I wouldn’t mind contributing some of this information if it’s possible to add in to the code like a question mark or help icon to fields?

Just curious.

Thank you for all your hard work and devotion to the community! It is REALLY appreciated.

2 Likes